:

Newbie Tank

Old February 17th, 2009, 03:40   #16
PaddMadd
uMadd, Padd?

Send a message via MSN to PaddMadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos View Post
point is, .12 will fuck up any gun worth gaming.
Ok, thanks. time to hit up BBbastard....
PaddMadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 04:07   #17
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddMadd View Post
If I do end up borrowing a gun, the .12's stay at home. However, it's looking like I might not need to, as it's looking like I might be able to afford a JG M4. I've been looking them up online as wel as youtube review/reviews here, and it might be my option.
JG M4 will eat nearly 75% of your budget. not a whole lot left for mags batteries and travel and pesky things like food.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 04:09   #18
Amos

Seriously, if you don't have any of your own kit yet... I don't think BWIII is a viable option for you.

My suggestion is get heavily involved with the BC community as quickly as you can... Dive in head first. Who knows if you even like airsoft.. let alone traveling half way across the country for a 24 hours military simulation game.
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 04:45   #19
PaddMadd
uMadd, Padd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
JG M4 will eat nearly 75% of your budget. not a whole lot left for mags batteries and travel and pesky things like food.
My travel costs are covered already, and I have found a online retailer with a cheap JG. In truth, The only kit item I don't own is a high grade gun. I could bring my cheap A17(cheap cybergun M4/M16 hybrid), but it would most likely fall apart on me so I need an upgrade. And like I said, I have been playing airsoft for a few years(although perhaps not at a professional level), and paintballing before that. I am aware of the speed and hecticity that a MILSIM can have, and that even just standing in the wrong place can comprimise not only you, but any teammates around you. I am attempting to get in touch with the local airsoft group here, and I hope to experience the level of more experienced players.

I understand that you are all just trying to make sure that I don't waste my money on going there and end up deciding "fuck this" 10 minutes into the game, and I do apreciate it. However, I would rather have gone and not gotten enjoyment, than not gone and be kicking myself while watching the videos.
Old February 17th, 2009, 04:48   #20
dragwindsor

Send a message via MSN to dragwindsor
I say, if you have the will and the way, go for it.

Just getting to check out all the kool guns and watching this thing go down, should be worth the trip.
dragwindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 04:56   #21
Tex

Quote:
My travel costs are covered already, and I have found a online retailer with a cheap JG. In truth, The only kit item I don't own is a high grade gun. I could bring my cheap A17(cheap cybergun M4/M16 hybrid), but it would most likely fall apart on me so I need an upgrade. And like I said, I have been playing airsoft for a few years(although perhaps not at a professional level), and paintballing before that. I am aware of the speed and hecticity that a MILSIM can have, and that even just standing in the wrong place can comprimise not only you, but any teammates around you. I am attempting to get in touch with the local airsoft group here, and I hope to experience the level of more experienced players.

I understand that you are all just trying to make sure that I don't waste my money on going there and end up deciding "fuck this" 10 minutes into the game, and I do apreciate it. However, I would rather have gone and not gotten enjoyment, than not gone and be kicking myself while watching the videos.
cheap JG's online sounds a lot like a US site... I am not saying do not go but this is BW 3 not the first not the last.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 05:00   #22
PaddMadd
uMadd, Padd?

I think it could be a fun story for dinnertime, the guy who made it to BWIII on chump-change, donated airmiles and McDonalds cheeseburgers. And I agree with you, seeing all those different set-ups would be worth it alone. It's like going to a show & shine, only instead of gloss and chrome it's camo and matte paint.

(sig worthy quote, btw.)
Old February 17th, 2009, 05:08   #23
PaddMadd
uMadd, Padd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
cheap JG's online sounds a lot like a US site...
http://www.businessvision.net/edge/M...&CategoryID=72

They are based in Peterborough, Ontario, and I believe they ship via Canada Post.

You're right, BWIII isn't the last, but to be honest the main reason for this whole trip is to do something wild this summer, instead of the usual mediocre summer jobs, sleeping in until noon or later, or going to Fragapalooza and playing shitty video games.
Old February 17th, 2009, 05:10   #24
ShelledPants

Quote:
http://www.businessvision.net/edge/M...&CategoryID=72

They are based in Peterborough, Ontario, and I believe they ship via Canada Post.

You're right, BWIII isn't the last, but to be honest the main reason for this whole trip is to do something wild this summer, instead of the usual mediocre summer jobs, sleeping in until noon or later, or going to Fragapalooza and playing shitty video games.
I believe that's a clone of a clone. :| I may need a second opinion though.

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 05:15   #25
PaddMadd
uMadd, Padd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelledPants View Post
I believe that's a clone of a clone. :| I may need a second opinion though.
It looks like the same version as the one on Cabelas.ca(the one I was asking the n00b questions about) hence the JG clone in the description. Velocity apears the same, and the picture looks like the non-clear version that i've seen alot on Youtube.
Old February 17th, 2009, 08:15   #26
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw

Location: Mississauga, ON -- The Brotherhood Of Eternal Sleep
$200+ for a clone of a clone?! You gotta be mad to think thats a good deal. Might as well get a Kraken and even save a few bucks.

Why pay that much when a JG will run you about the same? Once you get yourself AV'ed you will be able to get a better gun for less money. Dont make any hasty decision here on that thing.

Besides, dont judge a gun based on velocity alone. You gotta think about durability, and if its investment worthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
This is the equivalent to knocking on deaths door and blowing his head off with a shotgun.
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 08:41   #27
Scarecrow
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Scarecrow
If you're borrowing a gun, you will run through it what the owner tells you to run through it, period.

As for .12's, unless you're using them for area weapons such as airsoft grenades, I wouldn't even try to game them. As stated here, they have no accuracy or distance and you end up frustrated and trying to spray and pray and if its one thing people hate at a milsim game is someone running around with the hammer down full auto the whole time.

Spend the money, buy a quality AEG from a reputable knowledgable dealer. There are no shortcuts to a good AEG.
Old February 17th, 2009, 09:18   #28
Crunchmeister

That Panther DPMS is a rebranded JG, and not the "clone of a clone". I've seen the non-clear version of this gun in action and it's as good as any other JG. The clear version is supposed to be the same gun only with a clear lower.

As for .12, people seem to have an unfounded nasty hate on for them. And in some cases, that's a warranted concern. The BBs are of poor quality, are misshapen, or have a large seam where the 2 halves come together. Those are shit BBs and shouldn't be used as they can damage your hopup rubber and leave nasty residue inside your barrel. However, there are some decent .12s that are fine to run for plinking. However, their light weight and brittle materials make them all but unusable in a game. It's sort of like signing up to race NASCAR when all you have to drive is a Lada. They have poor accuracy at any range beyond 50 feet. And really, for the same price, you can get BB Bastards .2g that are awesome. So why get .12?

Get some quality .2 or .25 BBs for indoors games. If you want the best range and brush penetration outdoors, run .28. They're a bit more expensive, but worth it.

And I have to agree with what others have said. You're never played a real airsoft game, and you're planning on travelling halfway across the continent at great expense to play Canada's largest milsim event. That really doesn't make much sense at all. You should play a few real games locally before BW.

Last edited by Crunchmeister; February 17th, 2009 at 09:38..
Crunchmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 10:57   #29
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
I have a container of approximately 12,000 cybergun .12gr(don't laugh yet) ultrasonic BB's that have been waiting for action. Am I able to use these at Border Wars(in my own gun of course)? Or should I get rid of them?

Any expert's input?
NO.

Also, yeah that clear clone gun is a JG, not a clone of a clone (WTF?).

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 11:13   #30
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
0.20g BBs are too light to be used outdoors, they have a habit of bouncing off leaves and dead grass at the worst of times, so imagine what a 0.12g would be like! The brush at the fieild where BW is played has really thick brush, and long straight trails. You won't get the range nor the penetration with either of your ammo choices. Use minimum 0.25g.

And consider this, it might take you a hundred rounds of .12g to get a kill, or 25 rounds of 0.20g............. or a quick burst of 3-5 rounds 0.25g BBs if the target is behind foliage or past 100ft. Don't go cheap on getting your kills.

I don't even use 0.25g (except for indoor games) ourside, I use 0.28g in my AEGs/pistols, and 0.30g to 0.36g in my sniper rifles.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank