Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Village faux/Fake village

:

Newbie Tank

Old January 26th, 2011, 11:57   #76
Dart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juke16 View Post
Would the Whitby Psychiatric Hospital be a property to turn into an airsoft field? I know we're dreaming and all but if we did have the money, this would probably be a decent property with 50+ buildings, walls to keep out the eyes of nosy neighbours, and lots of places to explore.

link to some pics:
http://www.infiltration.org/abandoned-whitby.html
wow thats neat! I love old buildings and shit like that. Always wanted to go explore the one on the coast as well.

Airsoft in there would be fun, how ever so many things would need to be cleaned up first to make it safe.
Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 12:09   #77
Conker

The idea of shipping containers was only for a business. As a community effort, only something out of plywood or recuperated material is realistic, and even then it would just look like another paintball field (so with "walls", and not "buildings"...)

Just to elaborate (I know, it's useless, but I'm on break so while we're at it...)
Cost of a used shipping container: ~1300-1500$
Transport (estimate): 200$, depending on the location
Average entry fees for "vanilla" (unbuilt, mostly natural) private fields: 25$ (which is almost 100% profit in most cases where no props were bought)
Average entry fees for built-up paintball fees: 35$
Average attendance for "basic" games in the montreal area: 70 players

So... let's say 70 players x 30$ = 2100$ for one game (average)
2100$ x 10 games in the year = 21 000$
21 000$ / 1 500$ = 14 containers

Now I'm not an organiser so I may have forgot some fees... yes a small compensation for setting up the game is reasonable to the organisers and property owner, but not 2100$ par game IMHO. So if I didn't screw up my estimates.... that's realistic.
Conker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 12:13   #78
Pinard
formerly Contractor 6-8, CptPinard17eRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conker View Post
The idea of shipping containers was only for a business. As a community effort, only something out of plywood or recuperated material is realistic, and even then it would just look like another paintball field (so with "walls", and not "buildings"...)

Just to elaborate (I know, it's useless, but I'm on break so while we're at it...)
Cost of a used shipping container: ~1300-1500$
Transport (estimate): 200$, depending on the location
Average entry fees for "vanilla" (unbuilt, mostly natural) private fields: 25$ (which is almost 100% profit in most cases where no props were bought)
Average entry fees for built-up paintball fees: 35$
Average attendance for "basic" games in the montreal area: 70 players

So... let's say 70 players x 30$ = 2100$ for one game (average)
2100$ x 10 games in the summer = 21 000$
21 000$ / 1 500$ = 14 containers

Now I'm not an organiser so I may have forgot some fees... yes a small compensation for setting up the game is reasonable to the organisers and property owner, but not 2100$ par game IMHO. So if I didn't screw up my estimates.... that's realistic.
yeah totally, but that would mean someone KNOWN (for maximum attendance to his games) that would be willing to put a 21000$ on the table. + having a field with all the specifications said above... also you'd need some tools to cut through the containers and some work to make a nice field...

if someone is comfortable with that much money WHAT THE HECK is he waiting for to do it
Old January 26th, 2011, 12:20   #79
Conker

Oh yeah I know it's as likely to happen as Normand l'Amour becoming prime minister... But what... what if?

(and don't quote whole posts especially if it's the one right before yours)

Last edited by Conker; January 26th, 2011 at 12:37..
Old January 26th, 2011, 12:34   #80
AS92-RD

Less than a game a month? pfft. I would do one every two weeks but have a few major events. That way you'd likely get more income. This is an exclusive airsoft field right?

Last edited by AS92-RD; January 26th, 2011 at 12:44..
AS92-RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 12:40   #81
Juke16

What if we created an "Airsoft Canada Club" kind of thing, get it designated as a Non-Profit Organization (so it doesn't get taxed) and then buy a plot of land. Make a yearly membership fee and a "visitor" fee to put some money in the club's bank account, and instead of running it like a "for profit" field, have members pitch in and volunteer to get things done like erecting buildings and other such tasks. This means that you could start with an empty field, and 40% the revenue gained to improve it (assuming you save 10% in the bank), other half goes to paying off the bank loan for the field and other expenses; as time goes on and more members join, you should have more and more capital to improve the field
Juke16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 12:47   #82
AS92-RD

Quote:
What if we created an "Airsoft Canada Club" kind of thing, get it designated as a Non-Profit Organization (so it doesn't get taxed) and then buy a plot of land. Make a yearly membership fee and a "visitor" fee to put some money in the club's bank account, and instead of running it like a "for profit" field, have members pitch in and volunteer to get things done like erecting buildings and other such tasks. This means that you could start with an empty field, and 40% the revenue gained to improve it (assuming you save 10% in the bank), other half goes to paying off the bank loan for the field and other expenses; as time goes on and more members join, you should have more and more capital to improve the field
This does seem to make more sense, if we're talking outside Quebec here. But Canada is a big ass country so we'd likely have to do a regional thing you know? Because I'm not gonna be likely to drive to Ottawa very often for games. I'd love to but I'm not rich. And I think there would need to be VERY dedicated and trusted members to run the show. And they'd have to be willing to take on the extra workload of an NPO.
AS92-RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 12:49   #83
Conker

That just won't happen. Would be cool- but won't happen. Too much administration, too much collective risk as a community.

That's why, from the begining, I'm saying the only way would be a private business.
Old January 26th, 2011, 12:51   #84
Dart

Quote:
leave it to an asian.... lol <3
Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 13:00   #85
Juke16

If you can provide the average price of an acre of land in your area, the amount of players near it, a rate of interest for a loan, and the rate of interest for a bank account, I can probably do some magic on an Excel spreadsheet.
Old January 26th, 2011, 15:30   #86
SniperSam

Send a message via AIM to SniperSam Send a message via MSN to SniperSam Send a message via Skype™ to SniperSam
wow... you guys are just bringing in the ideas, i like this. Flooring sheets arent very expensive (2$ per 3 square feet back in the states), and a bundle of two by fours is all that be needed for sufficient cover, though this is just an idea, this has a lot of fruition to it

Whoa guy with the thumb rings, save some pussy for the rest of us

Welcome to Bed Bath and Beyoncé, if you find anything you like, put a ring on it.

What idiot called them Black Bears instead of African Abearicans
SniperSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 15:58   #87
Juke16

Well if there are trees on the property, you can always cut a couple down and use them to make some "nests".
Old January 26th, 2011, 16:06   #88
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Re-inventing the wheel

Places like the LZ in Eastern Ontario already have what you are looking for.

In Toronto.. Access to decommissioned Schools is nailed down. There are games weekly in such facilities here in Toronto.

Access to th decommissioned Prince Edward Heights Psychiatric Facility in Picton is also possible, with diligent effort.

You guys are sitting around talking wistfully about stuff that other people have already done and are doing.. Every week
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 16:47   #89
SniperSam

Send a message via AIM to SniperSam Send a message via MSN to SniperSam Send a message via Skype™ to SniperSam
Well not so much in Quebec, I did research into this, theres a plethora of places scattered all around Canada, just not so many available places in Quebec, theres paint ball places, but I dont enjoy playing there

Whoa guy with the thumb rings, save some pussy for the rest of us

Welcome to Bed Bath and Beyoncé, if you find anything you like, put a ring on it.

What idiot called them Black Bears instead of African Abearicans
SniperSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 18:22   #90
5kull

There's a few abandoned military bases in the Laurentian mountains of Quebec like this old radar bunker in St Adolph. People explore the interior all the time. It's been converted into a theme park then it went bankrupt, thats why it looks like Dr Evils lair.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43211397@N00/252117498
5kull is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank