Tactics, Techniques and Procedures

Old November 14th, 2014, 22:30   #31
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackthorne
Oh and what Talon said. Good strategy.
Old November 17th, 2014, 00:50   #32
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

There's a lot of good info here, but what you do should be game dependent. I've been at games where we went hard all night, and I've been to games where we took turns racking up during downtime, maybe for an hour max. The games pace dictates your pace, or at least it should. If your being constantly assaulted the your gun is needed. Want to create rack time? Send hit squads times to mess with the enemy while groups of three or four catch some recharge time. Remember you can always sleep when the event is over, but be nice to yourself and use all of your time wisely.

Consider the following. Manning up is good, but don't hurt yourself. I have had to evac someone from a game who got very sick and exhausted. Be smart a space yourself. Number two, be prepared. Sleep and eat well before hand, plan everything out. Don't drive for fourteen hours, stuff your ass full of McDonald's and Pepsi, and the immediately try and play an endurance game. That's just stupid. Third and most importantly; if endurance games aren't for you, don't fuckin' go. They are not for everyone, period, full stop, done! These games are designed for eighteen, twenty-four, thirty-six, etc, of fully emersive combat. If you die out there or quit it ruins it for the others. There are games that have multiple insertions.

Number 1: Only attend if you are ready and these games are right for you.

Number 2: Be appropriately prepared. Eat, sleep, travel, gear, etc.

Number 3: Man up. Your going to be sore, cold, wet, tired, hungry, etc.
Old November 18th, 2014, 20:20   #33
Cliffradical
butthurt for not having a user title

To add to that, don't limit yourself!

You may not be able to endure a Milsim game now, but following the advice in Ricochet's post, and all others before him, you definitely can!

I was up over 320lbs and sedentary. I got into Airsoft, and after playing for a couple years, I wanted to be more effective/ experience more of the game's potential.
Using that as a base goal, and structuring my fitness goals around that greater goal, I dropped to 185lbs, and am now at ~230lbs with the muscle mass I've added (I'm 6'3" for reference).

This has affected my life in so many positive ways, I can't even describe them.

Airsoft alone won't make you an athlete, but if you're into it for the long haul, it can be an excellent motivator for personal excellence.

Play play play!
Cliffradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2014, 22:50   #34
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackthorne View Post
This "pre hydration" drink more the week before BS from the first page of the thread is BS. Your body doesn't "learn" to store more water because you drink more. For fuck sake its the tens........GOOGLE IT.

Staying awake is a mind game, and you need practice to pull it off. If you are not used (or trained) to be sleep fucked, you will fall asleep when your body tells you to fall asleep.

The ONLY way to stay awake when your body tells you to sleep is to have the experience of, and know how to counteract that, and that means practice. In shitty conditions. Not on your couch.
Not a week before, but the day before... being hydrated at the start of the game helps you not die a couple hours in. Proper hydration is not about just pissing clear. It's about your body having enough retained fluids to operate. Your body won't absorb what it needs if you just guzzle 2L of water in one go. It'll just make you piss in about an hour.

Also what hasn't been mentioned here yet:

The day doesn't start when the game starts. It starts when you get up and haul your ass and shit to the field. An 18 hour game is still 24 hours awake or up and around. Saturday morning at 7.. get up, morning routine, shit, shower, shave, eat, load the vehicle, go to the field.. depending where you are, that's 2 hours already let's say. So it's now 9... registration.. chrono, put your gear on, fix other people's shit. Bomb up mags. It's now 10-11... game brief... team brief.. now 12... hit the field.. 18 hours of horseshit on the field, now you're 8 am. Pack your shit, police the field for other people's slobbery cause you brought garbage bags for your own shit right?

Now it's 9 am... prizes, ass grabbing, man scratching, sleepy yawning and maybe help out other teammates or your CP police up the nice stuff they brought to help lead your side to victory.

Maybe it's 10 am now, now drive home or nap and then drive home, 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours... what have you.

An 18 hour game is more than 18 hours, plan for the logistics before and after the game and factor that in. Have enough left over at the game to not be a dick and be a real team player. I find a lot of people don't even take it into account and they're done and completely spent at the wrong times.

You guys that drove from the far side of toronto or ottawa the morning of nightfall and drove all the way back at game end: you folks are crazy.
Old November 20th, 2014, 10:02   #35
Jbone 11 11

Well this is airsoft...so I don't expect people to be in peak athletic shape, it'd be nice to see the sport evolve that way...however its not at this point. But Blackthorn did touch on a very good point.... staying awake or at least in the game for the duration is indeed a mind game.

It is why you will see guys who are overweight and technically out of shape lasting longer than guys who look like 6' tall grayhounds. Why a dude who's 4 ft nothin can outrun, outgun and last longer than a guy whos 5' 9" and built.

The other very important thing to remember...and this ties into the mental game for those not familiar with this game format or those thinking about it but aren't sure....is that in an 16hr+ Milsim event, you're not running balls out and charging hard the entire time....Sure there will be times when a push might go on for a while or when your team Commander needs a little extra from you or your squad, but over all, there are plenty of opportunities to rest....and not have to sleep.

Catching Z's for 30min to an hour doesn't do anything for your body....its your mind that gets the reset. So getting your head in the game will go much further than trying to Hydrate yourself for a week before the game....LOL!
Old November 20th, 2014, 11:09   #36
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

us fat guys know how to pace ourselves. :P
Old November 20th, 2014, 11:12   #37
Desmodus
Mexifaggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbone 11 11 View Post
i.e. maybe having a rave the night before NF3 isn't such a good idea....???
Blasphemy! The rave before the OP is a TRADITION. Only the truly valiant and badass can survive the rave and operate for the entire op.

Primaries: LCT AK74MN w/SKTBR, VFC M4 SOPMOD Block 2
Secondary: Latino heat, TM Glock 17
Desmodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2014, 10:59   #38
Zack The Ripper

Send a message via MSN to Zack The Ripper
In Soviet Russia, rave MilSims you.
Old November 21st, 2014, 11:55   #39
BloodSport
Traveling Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackthorne View Post
This "pre hydration" drink more the week before BS from the first page of the thread is BS. Your body doesn't "learn" to store more water because you drink more. For fuck sake its the tens........GOOGLE IT.

Staying awake is a mind game, and you need practice to pull it off. If you are not used (or trained) to be sleep fucked, you will fall asleep when your body tells you to fall asleep.

The ONLY way to stay awake when your body tells you to sleep is to have the experience of, and know how to counteract that, and that means practice. In shitty conditions. Not on your couch.
weird because when I hydrate the full week before a longer game I have no issues, if I only hydrate the day before I do. So its not full BS, its been working for me for over 20 years. And not everything you read on Google is true, FYI, "for fuck sakes its the tens" you should know that as well lol

It's also easier to stay awake a full 24 hours straight the first time you switch to a long shift, then it is to switch back and forth. Yes part of it is a mind game, part of it is also having the proper nutrients and proteins in your system for your body to draw on for energy reserves.
Old November 21st, 2014, 13:38   #40
Danke

The pre-hydration debate is a good example of why you need to know yourself as part of your prep. Just because one guy says don't eat energy bars, just chew on grass and another says don't drink plain water add 6 cups of sugar to each bottle doesn't mean you flat out follow that advice.

That's why I try to leave advice that's very general about stuff like this since the individual has a huge part in the equation.
Old November 22nd, 2014, 00:24   #41
Mirodasc

Send a message via MSN to Mirodasc
Welp, having just survived my first "24hr" game last weekend, I definitely recommend eating when ever you get the opportunity. A full belly kept me and my buddy going all day and as long into the night as everyone else was up, and then onto the morning.

Also, don't just dress appropriately, bring appropriate sleeping items.
None of the 4 of us had ever camped in November, and we were all a little under prepared. made for a not very restful night when we did decide to pack it in.

Also, someone already noted, if you're not a caffeine addict, don't touch it, but if you are, make sure you bring some to keep you medicated.
Had one squad mate go down hard due to not having any in over 24 hours. Didn't end well. Headaches, vomiting, etc.

Speaking of Meds, bring mild pain killers. You're going to get sore. Everywhere. having the edge be a little dulled was my saving grace with my ruined knees and back.

There's my $0.02 anyways.
Mirodasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2014, 16:09   #42
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Be careful of pain killers as most thin your blood. I'd maybe use a small dose of ibuprofen in a pinch, maybe Tylenol.
Old November 22nd, 2014, 17:40   #43
Short Round
Najohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbone 11 11 View Post
i.e. maybe having a rave the night before NF3 isn't such a good idea....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmodus View Post
Blasphemy! The rave before the OP is a TRADITION. Only the truly valiant and badass can survive the rave and operate for the entire op.
Don't tell me how to live my life

Also I would again like to point out for the 4th-5th time
Old November 22nd, 2014, 19:35   #44
Red Dot
Google level: BOSS

Red Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 17:55   #45
Flaming Salami

Hydration is obviously the first thing to tackle. Idk what all these posts are about preparing weeks in advance, I find that quite ridiculous. Here's what kept me through some pretty long exercises:

1. Drink at least 1L of water every 2hrs (one army canteen)
2. If it is cold outside still keep drinking!
3. Pack food that has a massive ammount of calories in it (and is good for you too!)
4. When in doubt, rack out. Even 30min rests can add up to some decent sleep.
5. You need electrolytes! Mio Sport, salty foods, gatorade, etc.

Essentially what it comes down to is hydration. I've been on exercises that lasted days in the field and water is a life saver. Always have it on you and always keep drinking! If you are doing really stressfull work drink more. FOr example I finished a 3L hydro pack in under 45min on a ruck march.

Eat, sleep, drink.

Last edited by Flaming Salami; December 19th, 2014 at 12:37..
Flaming Salami is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Tactics, Techniques and Procedures