Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Buying your First Pistol: A Short Guide

:

Newbie Tank

Old June 27th, 2016, 21:15   #16
mikebarkski

i admitt that i have never owned a TM....but when i have fired them i just dont get why they are sold at %200 more than other brands (like kwc)...
And thank you Danke for stickin up for kwc's mine uzi...only complaint i hear is that the mag goes through a whole 12gCart...but given the cost of any sililar-styled mp7 or mp9 from TM is over 400cad....i got my uzi w/ 2 spare mags for $312.....unless the uzi breaks in the first year, or first half dozen games then yeah i will come back to this forum and tell everyone that i was wrong and shoulda spent the 550+ on the TM mp7
mikebarkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2016, 23:10   #17
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

TM, when it just has to work.

TMs are known for their reliability and available upgrade parts. I've owned many, they're totally worth it.
Old June 27th, 2016, 23:46   #18
mikebarkski

can you recomend a TM that is particularly durable (one that lasted you a life time)....in addition to airsoft i also DJ as a hobby...i own a pair of Technics1200 mk2 turntables...i bought them used knowing that they would last me a lifetime because thats just what they do...drop one down a flight of stairs and it may have a dent but still turns records like the day it came off the line.....Im looking for the tech12 of airsoft pistols...
mikebarkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 08:01   #19
Ricochet

Tokyo Marui Sig P226. There are lots of good postols out there, KSC and TM being at the top of the pile, but that's the one. That being said, "lifetime" is a bit extreme. Postols by their nature are hard on themselves with so many small moving parts constantly rubbing against each other. So maintenance will play a part, keep it clean, keep it lubed, etc. Plus upgrades and replacement parts are available, so you can repair little things that do go. Stay on it and you can get ten plus years out of it arguably, but your average pistol has a four to five year shelf life, if used a lot.
Old June 28th, 2016, 08:37   #20
Datawraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
Tokyo Marui Sig P226. There are lots of good postols out there, KSC and TM being at the top of the pile, but that's the one. That being said, "lifetime" is a bit extreme. Postols by their nature are hard on themselves with so many small moving parts constantly rubbing against each other. So maintenance will play a part, keep it clean, keep it lubed, etc. Plus upgrades and replacement parts are available, so you can repair little things that do go. Stay on it and you can get ten plus years out of it arguably, but your average pistol has a four to five year shelf life, if used a lot.
I dunno Ricochet... There have been some issues raised with the design of the TM P226. The way the slide catch locks is by hitting the BBU. For some owners of the TM P226, this eventually wore down the BBU and made the slide catch not work as intended (and I think one of the users had some funky issues from his BBU deforming from all the impacts, might have been a rare lemon though). There's a thread on here somewhere with some owners saying they've never had a problem for a long time, while others say it wore in a few shots. Unless you're planning on going straight to a full metal kit, I'd advise against the TM P226 just from the chance you run into a lemon (the full metal kit fixes the problem by having the slide catch lock onto the frame instead of the BBU).

I'd recommend looking at the newer TM designs; HK45, USP-C, M&P9. Not a lot of aftermarket support for the HK45 and USP-C, but enough exists for some pretty nice builds.
Datawraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 09:42   #21
Ricochet

I know several people who ran/run them for years and years, plus ten in some cases. Mine went to hell and back before I sold it still running great. Over a decade ago when I started playing I was told it was the best and I'm still hearing that it's a beast from people who get them. That being said, I've heard some complaints about the E2 version and it is possible that TM altered their manufacturing material over the years, but I doubt it. Lemons do happen though.
Old June 28th, 2016, 09:59   #22
e-luder

The P226 is an excellent gun. It's great on gas on gas and ergonomically sound. The controls are easy to access. But like it any pistol, it has its specific pitfalls. The firing pin for example is prone to breakage.

Each pistol has it's own flaws. Glocks have frame issues. 1911/hi-capa's have a barrel issues. 226's have firing pin issues. yaddi yaddi yadda.

To Mike:

The only pistol that will last you a "lifetime" is the one you make with your fingers and go PEW PEW PEW.

You can look at having "a durable gun" from two perspectives:

1). Replacement

This pertains to the availability of OEM/after market parts. If you have endless support to replace any existing, broken/worn down parts, then in theory this pistol should last you a "lifetime". Correct?

2). Improvement

This takes a look at your current platform to see which aspects you would like to improve upon. For example, you may want to improve on the pot metal components by buying new parts that are made of stronger stuff (like steel).

As this guide states and advises, go to a store and try some guns out. Coming here and asking a shit ton of questions doesn't mean anything to you if you can't experience holding these guns you are asking about.

Who knows, maybe you won't like the weight of one. Or you don't like crappy sound of plastics banging together. OR maybe you just aren't comfy holding it. No one on this forum can answer questions like these for you. In fact, we don't really give a shit how it fits your hands...but you do, right?

It's your preference. Go find it....

Last edited by e-luder; June 28th, 2016 at 10:51..
e-luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 13:07   #23
Ricochet

That's very true. No airsoft guns are invincible forever and every one will need attention somewhere, from the $200 to the $2000 plus ones.
Old August 16th, 2022, 23:57   #24
penny11831

great share

oh what a great share . I hope I have the means to do those things.
penny11831 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank