Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > Movies/Video Games/Sci-fi
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

The RFID Skull Project (or, how to play real-life HALO multiplayer game "Oddball" with Airsoft)

:

Movies/Video Games/Sci-fi

Old November 26th, 2008, 15:52   #1
DonP

The RFID Skull Project (or, how to play real-life HALO multiplayer game "Oddball" with Airsoft)

I'll put up a web page with all the details later, but here's a video I put together that will go over the concept and leave you with more questions than answers, I'm sure.

WEB PAGE NOW UP HEAH

I don't actually play HALO but I got the idea for a game while watching my nephews playing "Oddball" (a multiplayer game in HALO.) So far as I could tell, in Oddball players compete for possession of a trophy/knicknack (a Skull). The winner is whoever holds onto it the longest. I'm sure there is more to the actual Oddball game, but I took it from there.

I figured I could make an Airsoft version of this quick and simple game by using a combination of clever assembly and electronics to make a self-enclosed, anatomically-correct shaped skull to:
  1. Track individual players by reading RFID tags
  2. Make the skull-holder unable to attack (by requiring the skull be held with both hands for score to be counted)
  3. Determine scores and display the results on an LCD
  4. Give a clue as the location (and provide feedback to players) with loud beeps

The result: The RFID Skull (working title) which allows up to 10 players to play a version of "Oddball" in real-life with Airsoft guns.

VIDEO DOWNLOAD HERE (Sorry, haven't posted it to any online video places because there's not any web page to go with it for more info... yet.)

If anyone has any questions, pose them below. Your questions might help me decide how to flesh out the web page when I make it. (*)

(*) Don't hold your breath too hard -- I built this about 6+ months ago and field-tested it only recently. So I'm not moving all that fast on it I have to admit.

Last edited by DonP; February 2nd, 2009 at 13:25..
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 16:00   #2
L473ncy

Dude that is SWEET I would love to see it developed further.

If you ever need any help from a programmer for some mini scripts or mini programs or whatnot you can PM me. Albeit I have to admit I'm not a very good programmer (only first year in Comp. Sci.) but I'll try to help you as much as I can.

Only compensation I ask for is my name to be mentioned somewhere like the manual in a list of contributors (and maybe some beer if I ever decide to visit ).
Old November 26th, 2008, 16:06   #3
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Cool idea. So I assume the two eyes just have buttons that activate the skull, and whoever has the nearest RFID tag starts scoring?

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 16:06   #4
DonP

L473ncy
Thanks for the offer but I won't be doing any more development on it. But I will put up the design and software (AVR GCC) should anyone wish to make their own though. You or anyone else would be welcome to use it as a platform to do your own thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryak
I assume the two eyes just have buttons that activate the skull, and whoever has the nearest RFID tag starts scoring?
Pretty much, except that the RFID needs to be "swiped" so after jamming your thumbs in the eye sockets you tip the skull's forehead up to your RFID tag (which is taped to your gear on your chest). It won't magically read any old nearby RFID tag - doesn't work that way. Would be cool if it did, but it doesn't.

Last edited by DonP; November 26th, 2008 at 16:20..
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 16:32   #5
Styrak

So you have to keep it pressed to your chest?

Old November 26th, 2008, 16:45   #6
Flatlander

Send a message via MSN to Flatlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
So you have to keep it pressed to your chest?
Nope, you "swipe" it on your tag. Once it reads your tag (alerts you with an audible tone) you can hold it however you wish but you must maintain both buttons pressed inside the eye sockets. If released you must swipe it again to restart your time.

The coolest thing about it is how real it looks! It'll give you all the neat little stats at the end too (player breakdown of: who had it for how much time; how many times each person captured it, etc).
Old November 26th, 2008, 16:48   #7
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackthorne
Bloody awesome.

I want 5.
Old November 26th, 2008, 17:11   #8
Lorden

Send a message via MSN to Lorden
Yeah, think you could do a production batch? Like 20 or 25? I'm sure they'd sell like hotcakes.
Old November 26th, 2008, 17:19   #9
Dao

Brilliant DonP! Absolutely Brilliant!
Old November 26th, 2008, 18:13   #10
Coma
Age Verification Removed Due To Trade Dispute

Should make a one handed model too; for those that'd like to carry a GBB or use a free hand to not fall on their faces....
Old November 26th, 2008, 22:18   #11
Matty1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
Should make a one handed model too; for those that'd like to carry a GBB or use a free hand to not fall on their faces....
yes, that would make it a little bit easier and much more funner!
could have a mac10 or GBB pistol you could hold off attackers for a bit, at least until you gotta reload
Matty1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 22:22   #12
ShelledPants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty1020 View Post
yes, that would make it a little bit easier and much more funner!
could have a mac10 or GBB pistol you could hold off attackers for a bit, at least until you gotta reload
I believe the point of Oddball was to have the person with the skull unable to defend themselves while in possession of it. You're not really intended to have the skull for long, but if you repeatedly kill the skull carrier, you'll ultimately start racking up more points by the end of the game.

Oddball would be an awesome addition to most CQB facilities. Very fast, wild gameplay as there is no incentive to kill anyone who doesn't have the skull, unless they're in between you and the skull.

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 22:56   #13
T_A_N_K

Very cool design, it would sure add a twist to the game, an option for two hand and one in the same model would be ideal though. Any idea what initial cost of on these babies would be? I suppose you can make a base model and the customer can customize the aesthetic details himself.
T_A_N_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 23:10   #14
megaman

the game concept is a blast. we tried it about a month ago,the buttons can be a little tough to keep held down when the adrenaline gets going but it was definitely a good game. thanks for the test run don!
Old November 26th, 2008, 23:32   #15
Styrak

Maybe you already accounted for this, but can you reach the buttons with a thumb and index finger or middle finger (one handed)?

ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > Movies/Video Games/Sci-fi