:

General

Closed Thread

Old February 2nd, 2008, 16:52   #61
Mitchell12
vision impaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefInTrees View Post
We have detached from the source. nNw we start the slow, gentle glide back to earth.

Keep your guns, enjoy the ride.

Awww. Why can't we just catch a thermal and get legalized

But on a serious note, Very good write up and very informative.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 15:48   #62
AmRando

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestJohn View Post
Many customs officials and border entry points aren't well versed in what replicas are, or that they are necessarily disallowed.

The problem comes down to whether they are treated as toys or replica guns. In some cases businesses have been importing them for so long, permits or not, that neither they nor the customs officials who might process their imports realize there's a problem - yet. In due time I would expect they will get the attention of the powers that be, but it can take a very very long time.
Sorry, just catching up with this thread now - HoJo (or anyone else) is there a specific worded definition of what constitutes a replica firearm? As someone said, Canadian Tire sells plenty of airguns that look just like a real 9mm to the average eye. Or is this more of a trademark issue as it is in the US? Since airsoft guns are legal there, but must not carry any infringing markings of the real firearm they are a replica of. This is why many airsoft importers in the US receive their guns marked and scuffed-up with dremel tools to sand off those infringing logos..
Old March 3rd, 2008, 15:52   #63
The Saint

Yes, there is a specific worded definition on replica firearm in the Criminal Code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Criminal Code
"replica firearm"
«réplique »

"replica firearm" means any device that is designed or intended to exactly resemble, or to resemble with near precision, a firearm, and that itself is not a firearm, but does not include any such device that is designed or intended to exactly resemble, or to resemble with near precision, an antique firearm;
No, the trademark issue does not affect us at all. Our current situation has nothing to do with trademarks and everything to do with airsoft guns looking exactly like real guns.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 15:54   #64
Danke

I think the colour of the rules is left deliberately grey so the authorities can fit square pegs into round holes without argument.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 16:00   #65
Azathoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post
I think the colour of the rules is left deliberately grey so the authorities can fit square pegs into round holes without argument.
You are indeed correct. In the Accounting business field policy is intentionally left open ended so that people are permitted to make interpretations of the rules.

I wrote the weapons policy for an Animethon convention in Edmonton and it is incredibly open ended to leave enforcement to the individual security staff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
it would appear I am not first up in this gang-bang
---
WANTED PTW Receiver PRIME, STG, Factory
Old April 1st, 2008, 21:42   #66
LouisZimmerman

I've a question regarding Clearsoft: is it a Canada - specific thing? Or are there other countries in which having transparent airsoft is a marketing advantage of one description or another?

Louis
Old April 1st, 2008, 22:20   #67
mcguyver

Laws vary from country to country, obviously. For our purposes where law is concenred, most people don't need to worry about anything but Canadian law. I'm a little hazy on most other countries and airsoft, but they run the spectrum.

Some countries any device that fires any projectile is illegal (Singapore if memory serves me), other countries (notably Germany and Australia) are semi-auto only, regardless of the gun. The U.S. is only concerned with orange tip and no trademark infringement, so many guns have the trademarks removed or made without any to begin with.

Some countires have only velocity limits, (1 joule or 328 fps with 0.20g) like the U.K. and Japan, while other countries have virtually no regulation to airsoft, like Denmark for example. There, guys play with 700 fps.

Usually, countries that have strict firearms laws have strict controls over airsoft guns, except Canada. Here most would be considered replicas, which are prohibited. Unless they are dangerous or lethal, then they are virtually unregulated and perfectly legal.

In Canada, if it's harmless, it's prohibited.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
Old July 20th, 2008, 21:53   #68
Polar Nova

Thanks. I have learned a thing or two through this.
Old July 25th, 2008, 00:14   #69
15thKnight

Send a message via MSN to 15thKnight
i acually like this its imformitive and well it did answer a hell of alot of questions
Gas Revolver.
Old August 28th, 2008, 19:59   #70
bodydropper

well done! I've learned a lot. thanks sooo many!
Old August 31st, 2008, 18:40   #71
baloneyface

is it possible for a petition to take effect in the airsoft world in canada to allow importation of airsoft and the legality to shift? i hold airsoft dearly close to my heart, and i will continue to help fight for change. i was wondering if somehow the admin of this site can help make our forgotten voices herd to start a petition. :banghead:
Old August 31st, 2008, 18:46   #72
TokyoSeven
Red Wine & Adderall

As admireable as the effort would be, a petition would be useless.

"Its only a little bit on fire"
Old September 29th, 2008, 20:48   #73
grandjayson

thankz for the info....
Old October 1st, 2008, 06:09   #74
z_rampage1980

clearsoft in canada

I can buy a clearsoft from dealer in canada, that's legal. When I get it if I paint it is it still legal? If I put it in a case with a trigger lock on it and in my trunk on my way to a game could it be seized?
Old October 1st, 2008, 07:31   #75
kalnaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_rampage1980 View Post
I can buy a clearsoft from dealer in canada, that's legal. When I get it if I paint it is it still legal? If I put it in a case with a trigger lock on it and in my trunk on my way to a game could it be seized?
As long as you don't do anything stupid with it you should be fine.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
Closed ThreadTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General