Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Trouble with police

:

General

Old August 23rd, 2012, 19:15   #16
NtodaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingknight View Post
technically it IS a firearm... What's silly is that the person who phoned it in though an AEG sounded like a real gun.... o_O

Guess they've never heard a real one go off.
AEGs make sounds like they're suppressed. Maybe my neighbor thought I could have used a silenced gun trying to assassin someone :snipe:

I did nothing at that time but washing dishes.
NtodaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 20:22   #17
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

that's not really what a supressed gun sounds like... especially the gear whine lol. A gbbr or gbbp sounds more like a suppressed gun as you hear the metal bolt/slide moving and racking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt Caliber View Post
OH this sounds like an interesting story.
actually, that's about all there is to the story... the two of us who were out shooting the afternoon before just wandered up and down the strip taking in the sights and sounds... and booze... I went back to the hotel earlier cause I literally couldn't walk anymore... he walked in a bit later, I was half asleep when he opened the curtain... day light hit him with a physical umpf... I could feel it hit him. He hit his bed shortly after and maybe an hour later we got up and stumbled to the airport.

But as the security guy was swabbing all our bag handles, my buddy and I exchanged worried glances and then it was all clear. He fell asleep at the back of the plane, woke up with a big stream of drool hanging from his mouth with a huge lineup of people waiting for the washroom pretending they weren't giggling at his hungoverness.
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 20:27   #18
Metalsynth

Quote:
technically it IS a firearm....
No it isnt. It falls under the uncontrolled firearms.

To the eyes of the law, if you commit a criminal offence with it, THEN only it becomes a firearm in technical terms but you do not have to call your local police to move your hardware from one field to another with the hours you'll be traveling and locking your trigger etc...

So there, not a firearm.

Certified Level 2 BA Sniper
Si ton épée est trop courte, allonge la d'un pas. ( Proverbe Hongrois )
Metalsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 22:35   #19
Dimitri
Can't do math

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalsynth View Post
but you do not have to call your local police to move your hardware from one field to another with the hours you'll be traveling and locking your trigger etc...
Humm, no just no. Non-restricted firearms do not need the police to be informed, restricted firearms just need a LATT and your good to go, no more BS about calling the local police every time you go to the range.

Also, legally, non-restricted firearms as long as you remove the bolt and keep the ammunition separate and in a locked container, you do not even need to lock the non-restricted firearms trigger for storage or transportation, however it must be securely locked in place if displayed in the open of the house.

Restricted and Prohibited (lucky buggers!) firearms have stiffer rules including locking the firearm.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r...209/index.html

I think getting a PAL is in order for you.

Dimitri
Dimitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 23:14   #20
Jackals

Send a message via MSN to Jackals Send a message via Skype™ to Jackals
Can someone show me where in the Firearms Act or the Criminal Code "uncontrolled firearms" show up?

I have yet to see uncontrolled firearm anywhere but on a CBSA "MEMO."

If you really want to get technical, airsoft guns as far as the criminal code and Firearms Act are concerned they are replicas. As far as the courts are concerned if used in a crime they are firearms, further a recent case in BC has determined that in "most" cases airsoft guns are not replicas.

They law is FUBAR, and airsoft is still as much as a grey area as it was 5 years ago.
Old August 24th, 2012, 02:37   #21
Tactical Elite

All there is to say, be smart, use common sense. Don't be like an idiot and flash it like its cool. Local PD's won't care if its real or fake from far.. You will get shot! So moral of the story real or not real " treat it like it's real" store it safely and common sense. Everyone has an idea what the laws are. We don't need any idiots to ruin this privalige sport/hobby we long waited for.

Cool breeze guys.
Old August 24th, 2012, 03:04   #22
Firewalker

Send a message via ICQ to Firewalker Send a message via AIM to Firewalker Send a message via MSN to Firewalker Send a message via Yahoo to Firewalker
Quote:
btw, you want nervous? How about being at mccarran intl airport in vegas after 2 hours of sleep at 8am having your shit swabbed down for explosives/etc when not 24 hours before, you just blew 400 rounds of live ammunition, kept your range targets and stuffed them in the top pocket of the bag they are now swabbing?

That was me.

Good times.
http://www.deathvalleymag.com/2011/0...astern-prison/

Some relevant reading material for you good sir!
Old August 24th, 2012, 07:20   #23
Drake
E-01

Quote:
but you do not have to call your local police .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
do not need the police to be informed
Uh. that's what he said.
Old August 24th, 2012, 07:34   #24
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackals View Post
Can someone show me where in the Firearms Act or the Criminal Code "uncontrolled firearms" show up?

I have yet to see uncontrolled firearm anywhere but on a CBSA "MEMO."

If you really want to get technical, airsoft guns as far as the criminal code and Firearms Act are concerned they are replicas. As far as the courts are concerned if used in a crime they are firearms, further a recent case in BC has determined that in "most" cases airsoft guns are not replicas.

They law is FUBAR, and airsoft is still as much as a grey area as it was 5 years ago.
Unregulated firearm is a CBSA convention to define objects classified under the criminal code and firearms act as meeting the definition of a firearm, but not meeting the muzzle energy stipulated for licensing for possession.

All Airsoft guns meet the definition of an imitation firearm ( which are not regulated) some do not meet the classification to be deemed firearms, and so could be deemed replicas.

How any one Airsoft gun could be defined is a matter of fact.. That remains un defined until it is defined by a court in the process of prosecution of an offence.

The law is FUBAR.. That much is certain
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 10:03   #25
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

well since I don't ever plan on travelling to a place with such messed up laws... coming back into canada is hard enough :P spent brass et all is of little concern.

Had I been flying into the middle east with effigies of bin laden, miscellaneous anonymous shemagh cab driver guy on paper targets riddled with 9mm and 5.56 holes.. then I'd be concerned. Had the american security guy opened up the bag, we would've had a laugh, it is afterall, vegas.

I had thought about asking my range monitor if I could keep some brass, but decided against it, though I've heard of people bringing brass back without issue, even in the face of customs officials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewalker View Post
http://www.deathvalleymag.com/2011/0...astern-prison/

Some relevant reading material for you good sir!
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 12:25   #26
Fuzzy

Quote:

To the eyes of the law, if you commit a criminal offence with it, THEN only it becomes a firearm in technical terms but you do not have to call your local police to move your hardware from one field to another with the hours you'll be traveling and locking your trigger etc...

So there, not a firearm.
Airsoft gun classification is really fubared in Canada. This is compounded by wannabe lawyers on ASC. "Uncontrolled firearms" is meaningless outside the CBSA. I would classify airsoft guns as closer to being replicas than imitation firearms. This is just my personal opinion.

If you commit a crime with an airsoft gun than it becomes a "weapon" to which you will receive some sort of "weapons dangerous" or other firearms charges. Airsoft guns will remain a firearm regardless of how you use it.
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 12:36   #27
Metalsynth

Am I seeing double. .. maybe it's parrot syndrome.

I've been quoted 2 times with the exact same argument I gave in the quote.

Anyway... dont be a dumb ass. Act like it was the real thing. Been repeated at least 4 times til now.

Certified Level 2 BA Sniper
Si ton épée est trop courte, allonge la d'un pas. ( Proverbe Hongrois )
Metalsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 18:24   #28
Dimitri
Can't do math

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Uh. that's what he said.
Humm no, reread his post slowly ...

Quote:

So there, not a firearm.
He is stating that if a airsoft gun was not a "uncontrolled firearm", and that you do not have to call your local police to move a airsoft rifle because its "uncontrolled", nor do you need to put a trigger lock on it because its a "uncontrolled" firearm.

Which is outright wrong, because non-restricted firearms, aka a "controlled" classification of firearms, do not need either of those 2 conditions to transport them. And restricted firearms do need a locking mechanism attached while in transport, but thanks to LATT's they do not need a call to the local Police station to move them for quite a long time.

Dimitri
Dimitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 18:35   #29
ex
Wanna buy some Nod's? #StolenValour

Once again a thread on ASC degrades into childish posts and absolute BS posts on idiot's interpretations of canadian gun laws. The ban hammer is looming people..think very hard about whether it's a good idea to post or not.
Old August 24th, 2012, 19:06   #30
Janus

Send a message via ICQ to Janus Send a message via MSN to Janus
Quote:
Originally Posted by NtodaL View Post
I just wanna know if the police's still tracking me since I have a replica gun and they could think there're some violent thoughts in my mind such as planing to do a massacre or something like that. I'm not Canada's citizen, I'm a foreign student. I think that trouble can affect to my stay somehow. Any information?
As long as you aren't a criminal to begin with (I'm assuming you're not since you got in the country on a student visa or whatever it is) then you've got nothing to worry about. The fact that they carried on without confiscating your gun or arresting/fining you is a testament to the fact that they believe you are not a threat to public safety or in violation of the criminal code by possessing a glorified BB gun.

99.999% sure you're in the clear.
Janus is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General