Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > Movies/Video Games/Sci-fi
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Boss battle

:

Movies/Video Games/Sci-fi

Old July 29th, 2011, 22:29   #1
KwGeek

Boss battle

I know that in different games, there are different rules in effect.

An some games are based of video games, But I was wondering if any body has thought up rules for games where there happens to be an end of level Boss or are there any rules for games where there might happen to come across a mid-level mini-boss.

Cause I know that for the most part, the standard in most games is One hit= Killed with the exception if the game is using the wounding rules system (an even then there might be any number of systems that one game can choose from too use)

But one thing that I know is that in most video game, the end of level Boss is always going to be tougher and stronger then any of the minion that a player will come across leading up to the boss battle.

Cause if you think about it, it's always the boss's that people remember in the game that they play and how it so bloody tough to defeat them.

So I was wondering, has any body every given any thought to what rules they would use or create when using a boss type character in a game.

Now keep in mind that the most Boss's are going to have to be tougher and stronger then most normal minions. this means that they have to be able to take more damage and most of all they have to be able to dish out more damage.

Cause what would a Boss be with out his, One hit killing super attack.

I look forward to hearing you ideas.
KwGeek
KwGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 00:06   #2
Kingsix

hehehe reminds me of the terminator game I played at 2 teams have to secure objectives while being chased by the terminator around the field. The terminator can only be temporarily stopped by shooting a weak spot.
Old July 30th, 2011, 02:48   #3
surebet
Vicious MSPaint Wizard

If your playing group is familiar with table-top gaming or RPGs, live-action RPGs and likes you should have a rough idea of how to scale hit points and special weapons to balance them. If you are playing with these kind of rules, balance is what is going to make or brake the fun of your players. Keep special rules evolving to avoid pissing off the player base.

Also take into consideration the practical effects of your special rules. If you have a zombie theme, headshots should be replaced with something a bit more humane, like thigh shots. However, if this is what you want to do, inform the players so they can bring jock straps since most BB traffic will be about crotch high.

You can also go with multiple hitpoints (or invulnerability), boils down to the pain threshold of the special player. Saying you're invulnerable is one thing, but if it means all the other players are going to be dicks and massively hose the special player will be bad.

You can add restrictions to the players that the boss doesn't have, like having the players stick to semi while the guy keeps full auto.
surebet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 09:56   #4
THE BOSS
Bearer of the blood Hand

a Valid question and it gives for some serious stress games.

Having a Big Boss in a game gives an incredible amount of panic.

We organized a Terminator game in the shopping mall in Valleyfield this January.

we payed great detail to the outfits but also how a Terminator walks and moves. In the background did I play a 600W file to which the Terminators reacted. I utilized original sounds from the terminator Movies ( all 4 of them ) giving with the background sounds of Mechanical sounds ( replicating a factory ) HK's flying over etc. a deep ambience of terror.

Plus we completely blackened out the whole mall and strongly smoked it up with three big production stage grade smoke machines.

Now to the Terminator rules.

I put a Laser tag receiver from the HALO game on each Terminator. Then I locked the suitcase with the 4 guns away - the resitance had to find it within the Terminator controlled mall. The humanoids from Skynet were switched off and only to be awoken when the alarm sounded. The alarm was automatically appearing after 45min. thats how long the resistance had to find the imprisoned EMP Techs and the hidden Tag guns.

the Terminators were only slowed down by enemy fire - they were limping if hit on a speficily announced hit zone - or lost the target aiming and started to shoot off aim close by the enemy causing panic but no casualties.

it took 5 hits from the lazer tag in the back - the sensor had a speaker which sayed loud " GAME OVER" - if this happened then the resistance had successfully EMP'd it and it switched of for 60 seconds.... giving the resitance time to Reprogram it and send it to attack the other Terminators....

for 5min was now the Terminator in the Resistance posession ( the reprogram scrambler was just a mini strobe with an attached 5 min alarm )

then sometimes epic shoot outs of two terminators happened which I still remember vividly. Aegiis and Me pumped each other out of our 249s from 3 meters distance till both of us in a wild articulating manner went down....

so you see the game had not only shooting and puming BB - there was something to do.

both sides had Objectives..... and the Terminators were only two against many with a certain amount of Humanoid support.....

You have to pay great attention of how you design your Boss Level enemy....

You still have to give the other team a chance to overcome the obstacle.....

I like to hide intelligence somewhere in the game - the good guys have to find - analyze and then make a choice..... one choice is to to go further and retrieve a strong weapon or explosives or what ever - and the second choice is always incoorporating a strong sacrifize but it achieves the target mission faster..... with high losses and lots of running and panic involved.

Here is the AAR thread from the game - Deadpools wife and also others made great photos.

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=117186

if you have more questions please do not hesitate.

All the Best

Boss

oh I forgot - we got so heavyly showered with BBs that you have to pay great attention to padding and eye - face protection - it was a painfull experience ( I was the T-800 and Ordure and Aegiss were the T600 - But I WOULD FUCkING DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN.

Which we will

next time it will be harder - 2 more Terminators at the start - and every human resistance which gets shot out - respawns as a humanoid ( he will have a white button light attached to signalize he is now skynet.....

So the Terminators are slowly bleeding out the Resistance ranks..

It will come....

soon.....

Last edited by THE BOSS; July 30th, 2011 at 09:59..
THE BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 10:03   #5
THE BOSS
Bearer of the blood Hand

In addition.

I am still thinking of a heavy armored unit like in the game Army of two. you can only take him from behind.

so you have to side flank with one team while the other team lures the heavy unit after them - so that team bravo can get into his back and open him up from behind,

also a possibility.

But important to any Boss is - make him destructible - it can be difficult but it needs to be still possible - otherwise the frustration level raises quick in the sizzy ranks of players.

the tough ones like a good challenge but the sizzies are the first to complain and burn your game with frustration.

so you need to find a good compromise to serve both - the tough and the soft.

all the best

Boss
Old July 30th, 2011, 12:06   #6
KwGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BOSS View Post
In addition.

I am still thinking of a heavy armored unit like in the game Army of two. you can only take him from behind.

so you have to side flank with one team while the other team lures the heavy unit after them - so that team bravo can get into his back and open him up from behind,

also a possibility.

But important to any Boss is - make him destructible - it can be difficult but it needs to be still possible - otherwise the frustration level raises quick in the sizzy ranks of players.

the tough ones like a good challenge but the sizzies are the first to complain and burn your game with frustration.

so you need to find a good compromise to serve both - the tough and the soft.

all the best

Boss
Well agree with you, that it is important to make a boss destructible, it's no fun to go up against an enemy that you just can't kill. it has to be one of the most frustrating things that a player can come across. ( I say this as a video game player, because right now for the time being, I'm stuck being a chair-softer, But I hope to change that)

Now I know this sounds corny, But I have played both of the Army or two games and in those games, when you come across an enemy Superheavy unit, Most of the time the best way to defeat them , is as you said, flank them and shoot out their Ammo cache that's on their back. an in case of the Grenadier, he has an ammo cache on both his hips and his back.

Anyways, I was looking at the BB trap thread
http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthr...highlight=trap

an I thought that if it was scaled down to be something that could be worn, it be good for boss weak points. Just as an idea.
it would have to be some thing made out of a light weight metal or plastic.
But the idea would be once the paper target is destroyed the boss is killed.

just an idea.
Old July 30th, 2011, 13:51   #7
THE BOSS
Bearer of the blood Hand

A very good idea

I had similar thought but never materialized it

I guess you gave me new fuel for that idea

Especially in regards to the new suit i built

A superboss charackter called the guardian

Its for a game of big from the ghosts

The suit is massive and wheighs in at a almost 60 pounds

You really brought an excellent point i will try to implement
Old July 30th, 2011, 15:58   #8
KwGeek

Another thing that I just thought of after remembering a few different thing that I seen while Google airsoft.

I know that a few players who have spent the extra dollars to buy themselves an under-barrel grenade launcher attachment that is modeled after the M203 grenade launcher. An most of the time player use these attachments with shower shells, But I have seen that there are a few shell on the market ( Not necessarily the Canadian market) that offer some thing different from the shower shells.

Take for example the
Mad Bull XM995 Foam Rocket Slug Shot
http://www.madbullairsoft.com/Englis...products_id=15
or the
M576 Slug Shot (Rubber Head) (Not available in US)
http://www.madbullairsoft.com/Englis...products_id=17
as well as the
M576 Slug Shot (Foam Head)
http://www.madbullairsoft.com/Englis...products_id=16

an while I was looking at
https://www.buyairsoft.ca/
I could not help but look at the
Ultraforce 40mm Grenade Launcher pistol
https://www.buyairsoft.ca/promo/ultr...-launcher.html
an the different shell types that you can get along with it.
what caught my eye was the
40mm Grenade Shell - EVA Ball
https://www.buyairsoft.ca/promo/40mm...shell-eva.html
and the
40mm Grenade Shell - Rubber Head
https://www.buyairsoft.ca/promo/40mm...ll-rubber.html

cause come on, when it comes to Boss battles,
Old July 31st, 2011, 09:59   #9
Frozen Tex

We here had recently been discussing this, and one thing we came up with was the idea of a small styrofoam target mounted on the "juggernaut" player, that would have to be hit X number of times. If you paint the foam, it can be any colour, or match the camo, but the hits will show up white.
I also had the idea of wearing a small backpack, with the top open. To kill the juggernaut you'd have to drop a grenade (like a timed Tornado, say) in the pack. Sort of like Sarah Connor shoving the pipe bomb in the Terminator's torso in the first movie. I would require either sneaking up from behind, or using a system of temporary disabling hits.

Delenda Est Carthago
Frozen Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 10:51   #10
THE BOSS
Bearer of the blood Hand

I like where this creative discussion is going

That is excellent

I will post soon photos of the guardian suit

I came up with an idea similar to the backpack

I build C4 charges for BIG with magnets in it - we use them to stick them on vehicles

I was thinking of mounting a metal plate on the back of the life support system (you will know what i mean once i post the photos)

A guy will have to sneak up - as you suggested and stick the charge on that plate turn the timer and get away from it If he still can

But in the Terminator game did we achieve more terror and fear by choosing our targets

Meaning - it is up to the smartness and admin skills of the Boss player not to win but to cause panic

If i ran into 5 enemies i shot out three let two survive but they still felt the draft of the BB's - we appeared in a room people were hiding underneath tables , in corners etc. We saw them but did not react since a T 600 is only scanning above chest level
People were cramped up in there corner with eyes closed while a 6'4" T600 was standing right infront of them in the dark with its red glowing eyes - some are still talking about the real stress they felt

What i want to say is that the boss charackter has to give up the competetive mind and become almost an admin and a Gameflow control element
Then if handled correctly such a charackter makes for some real great games

I will post soon the photos and hope for your all constructive input

Thanks guys for your teamwork
Old July 31st, 2011, 13:10   #11
KwGeek

While I don't know how to get these on the open market, But I know that when I was working with my father in his factory, that we would get these catalogs full of different types shipping supplies.

One item that I notice when ever I read these were the
Impact Labels – ShockWatch
http://www.lamerholm.com/p81/Impact-...93-ShockWatch/

if you have ever seen Deadliest Warrior you might recognize them.
as they would use them when doing test with explosive.

Any ways, I was thinking that they could be use as weak spot indicators.
An you just slap on a few on the areas that you want your boss to be vulnerable and if the Impact label is trip. you can call it a kill.

But you might want to test them out a bit, as I am not sure which label would work best.
Old July 31st, 2011, 13:48   #12
surebet
Vicious MSPaint Wizard

These are single use (and rather expensive). You can find them from commercial suppliers like uline.ca

The issue I have with these is that you would have to select a label that does not activate under normal gaming conditions so the player won't trigger it running around.

You would need to bring kinetic force well over what a BB does to activate those, so unless you intend on tackling the guy...

Simple trick I saw in a zombie game was a metal plate mounted to the chest, so you get an audible indicator of a hit.
surebet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2011, 20:57   #13
THE BOSS
Bearer of the blood Hand

update to that topic.....

we finally had the game....

we introduc ed 4 new Boss - or UEBER Enemies - THe Berserkers

Normal arms fire does not hurt them but they have to call the hit and dont fire for two seconds...

Strategy - keep shelling them so at least you dont get shot back - but do not bunker - they pull their knife and go for close combat kills.....

they only could be destroyed with rocket launchers or C4 explosives which were timed before and layed infornt of their path .....

strategy: make them come after you and them keep them in the 15 feet blast range - also take the risk and time it only a few minutes... was actually successfull - they laid out the C4 trap and kept us running in circles till Boom.

here is the film from the all the short little movies the organizer took during the game.

dark relict 4 part2.wmv - YouTube

enjoy..... these charackter were a full success - but as I said before it takes a smart guy with a strong feeling for fairness not to abuse the additional added game power....\

Boss
Old October 3rd, 2011, 23:40   #14
ShadowNet

Episode 1 - Jugger What?! part 1 - YouTube

Episode 2 - Jugger What?! part 2 - YouTube

The concept is pretty sick.

Last edited by ShadowNet; October 3rd, 2011 at 23:43..
ShadowNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 11:55   #15
THE BOSS
Bearer of the blood Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowNet View Post
Thanks dude for that.

Not only are the movies very well done and bring the Airsoft charackter really out - but there is great Ideas in there.

That bell " Ding " as a hit location is absolutely simple....

visually ugly - looks like you packed a pair of titts on your shoulder - but the principal is genius..

I will definately try to make a metallic loud " cling " but I need to engineer something or find something which fits into the suit architecture and looks. so that it does not stand out but is mere a part of my designs...

Thanks for that man - quite an inspirational feed.

You should come to one of those games - people trip on it.....

the next Terminator game is in scetching mode.....
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > Movies/Video Games/Sci-fi