Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Tokarev Mag Problem

:

Doctor's Corner

Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:43   #1
Vivisector

Send a message via MSN to Vivisector
Tokarev Mag Problem

I got a NIB Hudson Tokarev TT33 that arrived with a huge gas leak in the mag.

By huge, I don't mean a steady leak through one of the seals, I mean that the gas exits through the valve at the rear of the mag while you it fill up. I removed the valve and all of the seals and soaked them thoroughly in silicon oil, and it solved nothing.

Any ideas?

Another option I thought of would be to replace the entire valve system with one from another Hudson piece. Would it fit?
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:13   #2
GraveTech

Send a message via MSN to GraveTech
It might fit but that depends. Chances are that the threads themselves have been damaged. You'd be able to tell by placing the mag under water and seeing if the gas leaks from the stem or form around the valve. If it is leaking from around the valve you may be able to use some of the red lock-tite (besically glue, but should be good for higher-pressure applications). If it is coming from the stem there isn't much you can do but replace the valve.

Hope that helps.
GraveTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 16:28   #3
Vivisector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraveTech
It might fit but that depends. Chances are that the threads themselves have been damaged. You'd be able to tell by placing the mag under water and seeing if the gas leaks from the stem or form around the valve. If it is leaking from around the valve you may be able to use some of the red lock-tite (besically glue, but should be good for higher-pressure applications). If it is coming from the stem there isn't much you can do but replace the valve.

Hope that helps.
Thanks. You got the gears in my head turning :P

I might try that thin white tape that is used to seal air valves for that purpose. They use it at work on some high pressure air lines, should handle airsoft fine.

Hopefully that works. It's frustrating to have such a pretty piece that doesn't work.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 19:56   #4
Gryphon

Unfortunately you've now discovered for yourself why Hudson is an unpopular brand. The teflon tape might work if it's blowing from between the threads, but if it's an O-ring you'll need to replace it. I don't know what the valve looks like but if you're lucky, it's a KSC pattern which can be removed with a special wrench available at most suppliers. If not, you're probably SOL.
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 20:47   #5
Russianboy
Banned

This guy had the same issue. Check it out.

Via WW2airsoft.

"Tokarev TT-33

Type: Gas blowback pistol
Hop up: yes
Ammo: 6mm bb
Mag capacity: 10
Price: $155.00 (US)

Being a fan of the Red Army of WWII (and half Russian myself) I just had to purchase the Hudson Tokarev TT-33. The reason? They released a heavy weight version and I figured that the gun was upgraded and I was really looking forward to it. Then I received it…

As soon as I opened the box I loved it. It was heavy despite being all ABS plastic. It had all the Russian markings on it and was a dead wringer for the real gun. That was where my happiness ended.

I loaded the clip with bb’s, then proceeded to fill the mag with 134A gas. As fast as the gas rushed in through the valve…it rushed out of the top of the mag. ALL the o-rings were shot! I took it apart, scoured every ACE Hardware & hobby shop in a 10 mile radius of my house and could not find an o-ring that would work. Being highly discouraged, I put the gun back together and basically used it as a prop gun for my Soviet impression.

About a month after purchasing the gun and countless hours trying to fix the o-ring problem, I stumbled on the find of the century at Den Trinity. I was in the process of purchasing Hudson’s M3A1 “Grease Gun” heavy weight model (check out my review on that gun as well) and found an o-ring set MADE BY HUDSON! I figured it had to work since Hudson made the Tokarev and this o-ring set. The result…IT WORKED! Once I replaced all the o-rings the mag held gas beautifully. So…I proceeded to load up the mag and ran outside to start shooting some aluminum cans. I let off one shot…….AND THE DAMN GUN LOCKED UP! Discouraged and ready to throw the TT—33 in the trash I put it away until this past Saturday (08-26-05). I pulled it out determined to fix the problem.

Let’s recap. I Purchased this gun in May and came to a quick conclusion it was a piece of crap. Now, almost 4 months later I have finally pulled it out again determined to fix the “jamming” problem. Upon close inspection I noticed that the reason the gun was jamming was because the bb’s were not being pushed into the chamber. They were getting lodged half way. SO IT WAS DREMMEL TIME! After carefully Dremmeling away at the tip of the mag & removing some metal “burs”. I slapped the clip back in and low & behold….IT WORKS!!!!

NO leaking mag and no jamming. The hop up adjusts and this thing is not a bad gun. Would I recommend it? NO! Especially not for a beginner. If you have time to toy with it in order to get it to work great! But if you are looking for a great gun out of the box the Hudson Tokarev TT-33 is not for you!

The accuracy is pretty good. I was pooping cans off a table from about 50 feet away. It took a while to adjust the hop up but once it was set the gun was very accurate. The blow back is great, and as you all know I love my blow back! I shot off 50 rounds and had the gun jam only 7 times.

The Pros:

1. Gun looks GREAT!
2. Once you get it to work…it shoots well.
3. Priced well ($155.00 US) I just wish it worked out of the box.
4. Gun is accurate from 50 feet after the hop up is adjusted.

The Cons:

1 The mags leak right out of the box. (I purchased 2 guns and they both leaked!
2. The mags jam until you dremel off the metal “burs” in the bb slot.
3. Spare mags are non existent.
4. About a 14% jam rate.

Overall rating (right out of the box): 4 out of 10
Overall rating (once I had the gun working): 8 out of 10

In short, save your cash. If you’re doing a Russian impression when you airsoft you don’t need a pistol anyway (only officers carried a pistol). Maybe someday a company will put out a Nagant rifle. Until then, we Soviets must use our “captured” MP40’s, K98’s, Lugers & P38’s and our “Lend Lease” Thompson M1A1’s.

- Capt. Zak"
Russianboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 22:27   #6
Russianboy
Banned

I hope that can help you out.

You can make one out of a rubber band. It will only last once per game but your gun will shoot.
Russianboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 07:12   #7
dav18c

I just bought the TT33 heavy weight model, at day one, the mag works normal, but at day 2 , the gas leak out from the valve, i use 134a gas only,
I try to use water pipe tape to seal the threads, but fail, Then ,i bought a hudson m3a1 o-ring set, but the size not fit.

I wonder why day one is ok, but day 2 will fail, is the o-ring material changed after I shot sometimes using 134a gas, or the liquid on the o-ring blow out by the 134a????????

I want to write a email to hudson , but the web site is japanese.....too bad

vivisector, could u tell me how u fix the problem finally?
anybody have idea?

thanks
dav18c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 15:02   #8
Vivisector

I haven't yet. I have some m3a1 o-rings on the way. Hopefully you're wrong about them not fitting...

If yours worked on day one, perhaps soaking the o-rings in silicone oil is in order? They may have simply dried out.
Vivisector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 18:31   #9
Lakonian
kos

haahaha...unreliable...just like the real deal.
Lakonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 18:39   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kos
haahaha...unreliable...just like the real deal.
Huh?
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 18:45   #11
Lakonian
kos

Tokarev = Frequent jams, and crude build quality.

I may have it confused for the chinese norinco variant, though :S
Old September 16th, 2006, 19:14   #12
Vivisector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kos
Tokarev = Frequent jams, and crude build quality.

I may have it confused for the chinese norinco variant, though :S
Probably.

EDIT:

From the Wikipedia page:

Quote:
The Tokarev is gaining in popularity with pistol collectors and shooters in the West because of its ruggedness, reliability and ready availability of cheap ammunition (in the US).
Emphasis by me.
Vivisector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 19:32   #13
Lakonian
kos

yeah. I think it's the norinco type 51... I heard it had HOrrible build quality, and mags would come apart very easily; ultimately sending rounds everywhere (like early AK-47 mags)... Hmm.
Old September 16th, 2006, 19:43   #14

I've used soviet made TT for recreational shooting. My uncle had one for years before he retired from Ukrainian police. Pistol works great with soviet surplus ammo.
I never had a chance to handle Norinco version, but from what I've seen online it's not that bad, once again, ammo is big factor. I've seen bunch of posts where people complained about jams when using cheap ammo.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 22:52   #15
dav18c

Vivisector

I soaking the o-ring for 12 hr, and test again, leakage still happen.

I guess the shop sold the gun to u would test it first, it may be ok at the begaining, but after somedays, the leakage will happen......

I have an idea, i put the o-ring in the hot water to try to expand the plastic and check whether it works.
dav18c is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner