Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

barrel tightening?

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old August 24th, 2007, 13:39   #1
jaa

barrel tightening?

I know there's a ton of factors that go into an airsoft gun's power and accuracy, but have many people gotten better results out of their guns by tightening the barrels? or are stock barrels good enough?

We're gonna need more BBS
jaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 13:45   #2
LyquidFyre

Well there's varying opinions on different makes/brands etc of tightbore inner barrels but the general consensus is yes they make a difference.

Search the forums for tightbore reviews.
LyquidFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 13:46   #3
Skladfin

I use KM TN 6.04mm barrel.

With the 6.04mm and 0.2g, the accuracy was only slightly worse than stock barrel with 0.25g.

So that's a good improvement.
Skladfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 13:51   #4
Mr. G36!

Location: Beautiful Thunder Bay, where dreams become nightmares!
I have a question about these as well...if you were to double the length of your 6.06 barrel by replacing it with a 6.03 barrel (concealing it within a suppressor of course), would you need to upgrade any of the internals as well for any reason?

I've never played around with my guns internals before for fear that it'll meet the same fate as most other things that I've taken apart and put back together, so I have no experience in internal modification.
Mr. G36! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 13:56   #5
Skladfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. G36! View Post
I have a question about these as well...if you were to double the length of your 6.06 barrel by replacing it with a 6.03 barrel (concealing it within a suppressor of course), would you need to upgrade any of the internals as well for any reason?

I've never played around with my guns internals before for fear that it'll meet the same fate as most other things that I've taken apart and put back together, so I have no experience in internal modification.
internal modification was a bitch for me, especially trying to put the mechbox back together without having the trigger, spring, and gearbox pop out of place. That was such a pain in the ass, I wouldn't want to do that again.

Anyways, ya, if you change ur barrel double the length, you will need a new cylinder, which is a part of the internals. So you will have to fiddle around. Otherwise BB sucksion happens and your velocity goes down.
Old August 24th, 2007, 13:57   #6
Dawnbringer

Send a message via MSN to Dawnbringer
You would need to change the cylinder, there is a thread on the boards explaining cylinder and inner barrel matching.

Edit: Damn people typing faster than I do...

Last edited by Dawnbringer; August 24th, 2007 at 13:58.. Reason: one one types faster than me.
Dawnbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 14:26   #7
Omi-san

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skladfin View Post
internal modification was a bitch for me, especially trying to put the mechbox back together without having the trigger, spring, and gearbox pop out of place. That was such a pain in the ass, I wouldn't want to do that again.

But it feels good once you put it all back together and it works. It's like the feeling you get the first time you built your own PC.
Omi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 14:33   #8
TokyoSeven
Red Wine & Adderall

Build your own PC, enjoy it for 3 seconds till you turn it on and nothing happens. Get frustrated and smash the monitor.

"Its only a little bit on fire"
TokyoSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 14:51   #9
Mr. G36!

I see. The thing is, my gun is, internally, an out-of-the-box TM G36C (6.06 barrel, 247mm length). All I want to do is replace the barrel with a 6.03 tight bore while adding 205mm, increasing the barrel length to 452mm. So since the barrel won't be exceeding even 500mm, would cylinder modification/replacement really be necessary with a mere 20cm extension?
Old August 24th, 2007, 14:55   #10
Dawnbringer

Send a message via MSN to Dawnbringer
I don't have much knowledge on the subject past what I read here. (well also that if you put a ported cylinder in backwards the gun doesn't work). But I imagine that (almost) doubling the length of the inner barrel with out changing the cylinder will cause some performance issues. What would happen is that the bb is meant to clear the barrel by the time the piston starts coming back, as the barrel is longer this wont happen, so that as the piston is coming back is sucks air back down the barrel slowing the bb down.

Last edited by Dawnbringer; August 24th, 2007 at 14:57..
Dawnbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 15:23   #11
Greylocks

I think Jaa does not get the concept of a tightbore. It's not something you can do to a barrel yourself.

Let's do some math to explain it.

The bb is 6mm wide.
The barrel is anywhere from 6.02 to 6.05 mm wide.
So you have between 0.02 to 0.05 mm of space between the BB and the barrel as the BB goes downrange.
The less play, the better NORMALLY. But that also depends on the quality of your ammo, the quality of the barrel, and how clean you keep it.

For some folks it makes a huge difference, for others it does not work. Stick with a non-modified gun until you really know this stuff.

As said by many others; play for a good season and read/go see before even thinking about such things. There is information about tightbore barrels you can read already posted.

Last edited by Greylocks; August 24th, 2007 at 16:28..
Greylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 15:26   #12
jaa

Is there a place I can go to get an upgrade professionally done? and how much would it cost?

We're gonna need more BBS
jaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 15:29   #13
Mr. G36!

You can mail to 007 Airsoft and he (Ken) will do it for...a lot probably.
Old August 24th, 2007, 16:08   #14
Skladfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. G36! View Post
I see. The thing is, my gun is, internally, an out-of-the-box TM G36C (6.06 barrel, 247mm length). All I want to do is replace the barrel with a 6.03 tight bore while adding 205mm, increasing the barrel length to 452mm. So since the barrel won't be exceeding even 500mm, would cylinder modification/replacement really be necessary with a mere 20cm extension?
I saw a thread somewhere in this forum stating which type of cylinders you should be using.

The changes you have to make is every 5cm.

But seeing how your gun is stock. I totally recommend you getting a twist barrel instead of anything else.
Old August 24th, 2007, 16:30   #15
Greylocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaa View Post
Is there a place I can go to get an upgrade professionally done? and how much would it cost?

Yes, you can look in the Doctor's Corner for the List of 'doctors' and pick one.

Or you can follow the basic advice that if it's not broken, dont fix it, and play for a season before changing anything.
Greylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications