Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > Western Europe
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Scottish special units

:

Western Europe

Old September 22nd, 2007, 19:29   #16
crazybagoham

yeah the scots are under the british army, so they wear the british stuff, some will wear like a tam oshanter or something like that but nothing really different
crazybagoham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 22:58   #17
Disco_Dante

This is a little late of me, but as a proud Scot I have to tell you guys... the Prime Minister of Britain (Gordon Brown), is Scottish. The ex Prime Minister (Tony Blair) is Scottish. The Royal Family, which has somehow managed to be so horribly watered down and yet so incredibly inbred is also Scottish.

And remember, who won all their wars for them? Damn right it was the Scots. Remember the thin red line!
Disco_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 23:18   #18
MADDOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco_Dante View Post
This is a little late of me, but as a proud Scot I have to tell you guys... the Prime Minister of Britain (Gordon Brown), is Scottish. The ex Prime Minister (Tony Blair) is Scottish. The Royal Family, which has somehow managed to be so horribly watered down and yet so incredibly inbred is also Scottish.

And remember, who won all their wars for them? Damn right it was the Scots. Remember the thin red line!
Albainn Gu-Brath
Ne Obliviscaris

ASHofC (PL)

Cry Havoc, Let slip the Dogs of War!

"Opportunities multiply as they are seized."
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War
MADDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 00:04   #19
Groombug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco_Dante View Post

Actually, it was generally the lower classes and the downtrodden of the British Isles. The Scots made up a portion of, but not the majority, of the legendary 19th century British 'redcoat' infantry. Many regiments of foot were raised in the 'shires and other parts of England, as well as parts of Ireland.

It is true that Scottish battalions like the Black Watch and the Royal Scots were superb fighting units, but so were other non-Scottish units, like Maitland's 52nd and the 27th Foot (Inniskillings). Let's also not forget the handiness of the King's German Legion, particularly the light cavalry.

修身齊家治國平天下
Groombug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 01:58   #20
BIGMEDCIN

Primarily the special forces in the British Army are the S.A.S (special air service), not only are they "counter everything" they are also do "mission based" operations, I had the opportunity to visit one of their small detachments in the Glasgow area while on CF training in Scotland a couple years back, two thing's I found interesting were, the SAS appeared to be primarily Scots (makes sense since most of their training and detachments are in Scotland), second thing was that fact that they had in their possession and wanted to adopt the Canadian C-7!. says a lot for Canadian designing given the fact our C-7 starts out as the US M-16 but the Canadian armourers get hold of them and modify them to CF standards, adding to that the SAS can and do have access to practically any weapons in the world, anyway I am getting off topic as usual.

SHofC
"Cuidich'n Righ"

Last edited by BIGMEDCIN; October 15th, 2007 at 02:04..
BIGMEDCIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 02:11   #21
BIGMEDCIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybagoham View Post
yeah the scots are under the british army, so they wear the british stuff, some will wear like a tam oshanter or something like that but nothing really different

You can recognise Scottish Highland units usually by them wearing Balmoral's, most still identify their original Regiment by wearing a colored "HACKEL" with their cap badge.
BIGMEDCIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 17:46   #22
Disco_Dante

Actually when i said remember the thin red line, i meant remember the BATTLE of the Thin Red Line, when the 93rd Highlanders fought off far greater amounts of Russian troops in the Crimean War.
Disco_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 14:36   #23
mrgruber

sorry for the necro here, but i do belive that was battle of balaclava in the Crimean war
Old January 25th, 2008, 15:12   #24
Beazer

Leave it to the english to screw something up.
Beazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 00:35   #25
Porkchop

Send a message via ICQ to Porkchop
Clearly, none of you have ever heard of the Queen's Own McKamikaze Highlanders, a unit that was so effective that out of 33,000 only three are left.
For more information on this fabled unit please access the historical tapes of Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Cry "Haddock" and let slip the hounds of Beer
[-brought to you courtesy of Salamander Army -]
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:32   #26
scoutthedoggie

Exclamation

The Atholl Highlanders are a Scottish regiment. However, they are not part of the British Army. Instead, the regiment is in the private employ of the Duke of Atholl, making it the UK's, and indeed Europe's, only legal private army.

Cap Badge of the Atholl Highlanders
Active 1839- Present
Country Scotland, UK
Type Infantry
Size One battalion
Garrison/HQ Blair Atholl

http://www.whatsonwhen.com/sisp/inde...event_id=24201
scoutthedoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 18:35   #27
Sapper_EOD

Erm... special division there are not... it breaks down now with two main branches.

1) The Scots Guards
2) The Royal Regiment of Scotland

RRoS breaks down as follows:

Black hackle for those affiliated to 1st (Royal Scots Borderers) Battalion Royal Regiment of Scotland.

White hackle for those affiliated to the 2nd (Royal Highland Fusiliers) Battalion Royal Regiment of Scotland.

Red hackle for those affiliated to the 3rd (Black Watch) Battallion Royal Regiment of Scotland.

Blue hackle for those affiliated to the 4th (Higlanders) Battalion Royal Regiment of Scotland.

green hackle for those affiliated to the 5th (Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders) Battalion Royal Regiment of Scotland.

White/Black hackle for those affiliated to 6th (52nd Lowland) Battalion Royal Regiment of Scotland.

Red/Blue/Green hackle for those affiliated to the 7th (51st Highland) Battalion Royal Regiment of Scotland.

the only difference being is the Guards are the ones you have to put the fear of God up anyone (look at Mount Tunbbledown 1982!), harder trained and damn fine soldiers.

Also if you're interested in WW2 milisim, have a look at 'Lord Lovettes Commandos', he too was one of the handful 'lairds' allowed to have his own private army, and was the one who releived Pegasus Bridge having his bagpipes played under fire.

Last edited by Sapper_EOD; February 1st, 2009 at 18:53..
Sapper_EOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 19:50   #28
pipefitter316

the sas is made up of 70 % of scottish born troopers
pipefitter316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 21:14   #29
Risc_Terilia

Reminded me of this thread.
Risc_Terilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 17:13   #30
pipefitter316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paps View Post
But there aren't Scottish special units chaps?
yeah we know that but we are talking about scottitish units within the uk army. There is a large number of scots in the uk army particulairly in the sas as far as i know.
pipefitter316 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > Western Europe