Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Comms Setup: MSA Sordins

:

Gear Discussion

Old September 2nd, 2018, 10:17   #1
Ourindar

Comms Setup: MSA Sordins

Hi folks,

Total comms noob here. My only experience with radio communications is with the dinky little earpiece that comes with a Baofeng.

What will I need, other than the headset and radio themselves, to use MSA Sordin Pro-X in a setup with a Baofeng UV-5R? I'd like to not have to use the built-in mic on the radio, of course.

Is it possible to use the built-in mics on the Sordins as the comms mic? If it is, how? And is it a good idea at all?

I know I need a Kenwood 2-pin connector for the radio, and that the Sordins have an AUX port. I don't know anything else; what I need, what plugs into what, etc. Ideally anything outside of the radio and headset would cost sub-$200.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Ourindar; September 2nd, 2018 at 10:20..
Ourindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2018, 14:34   #2
riley_A

Do you have the comms version of the MSA sordins or the non-comms version? If you have the non-comms version which I assume you do based on the aux port on your ear cups, you'll need a microphone/downlead kit made for the non-comms sordins which SRS tactical sells for around $300 or so. You'll also need an amplified PTT which will run around $200. I'll link the products below:
https://srstactical.ca/all-products/...-headsets.html
https://srstactical.ca/all-products/...t-adaptor.html

The other option would be to get a code red signal 21 speaker mic and an aux cable and use the speaker mic as your mic, and have incoming audio routed to your headset via the aux cable. This option will be much cheaper but I'm not sure if its what you're going for exactly.

If I were you, I would just buy a separate set of comms sordins or comtacs that have the mic and downlead built into them already. They can be found for cheaper than you'll be able to set your current sordins up for comms use with the MSA mic/downlead kit.
riley_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2018, 15:35   #3
Ourindar

Thanks for your reply.
Do you have a link to the Comms Sordins? Can't seem to find them anywhere in Canada with a quick search. I checked SRS specifically as well, and they sell the conversion kit you linked but don't seem to have the actual headset.
Ourindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2018, 16:21   #4
riley_A

You'll have to look around in the used market to find a cheap set of comms sordins. I bought my set for under $200 and then had SRS tactical swap the downlead plug and the mic insert, and that combined with a PTT ran me around $500 total

Otherwise SRS sells the avengers headsets which are practically identical to MSA sordins, but brand new they will be a lot more expensive
riley_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2018, 00:59   #5
Amoki

Had MSA Sordin actually sorted out their battery box problem though?

I had a 75305 that died due to the corroded battery box after 3 years (and because it was an international fleabay purchase + lemo-to-Nato TP124 converted, basically ended up having to mod my own battery box in).

Last edited by Amoki; October 1st, 2018 at 01:01..
Amoki is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion