Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Realistic Opinion on Plastic vs. Metal Receiver

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old April 27th, 2011, 21:52   #1
ao_tenshi

Realistic Opinion on Plastic vs. Metal Receiver

Hello, I'm a noob planning to get into airsoft this year. I realize there is lots of choices for an AEG on the market and done quite a bit of research (reviews, youtubes, forums etc). With a budget of <$500 its hard to find a good and reliable M4 thats full metal. Im currently torn between G&G M4 Plastic MAX and G&G M4 Carbine MAX (full metal).

My question to all the veterans and experienced is, since the specs and internals are identical, is it PRACTICALLY SPEAKING REALLY WORTH spending the extra $150 just to get the full metal receiver version? Would like to hear some honest opinions on this topic, or real life stories...
ao_tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 21:56   #2
Mitchell12
vision impaired

Plastic is fine really, but over time it gets creaky and wobbly and just not the same. Once you use a metal airsoft gun you'll never want to go back though. They FEEL better in so many ways. Plastic ones just feel like toys.
Mitchell12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 21:58   #3
mellows

I would go full metal. In my view I think it would be better for outdoor gaming and as well resale when your looking to upgrade. I have a full metal G&G and I was quite impressed when I opened the box
mellows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 22:00   #4
Jimski

metal feels more realistic especially on m4s, a metal M4 feels much better than a plastic one.
Most metal for airsoft is low quality and doesn't bring much in terms of body strength.
during the game it doesn't change anything to the fun.
Old April 27th, 2011, 22:01   #5
Mitchell12
vision impaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimski View Post
metal feels more realistic especially on m4s, a metal M4 feels much better than a plastic one.
Most metal for airsoft is low quality and doesn't bring much in terms of body strength.
during the game it doesn't change anything to the fun.
I find it makes it way more fun because I don't feel like I have a squirt gun. Though he is right, most CHEAP airsoft stuff is shitty metal and doesn't help a whole lot for strength.
Old April 27th, 2011, 22:14   #6
m102404
Tys

Simply put...yes. It's entirely worth it.

I've had more than a few guns...built (yikes) probably many...handled and worked on (yikes) several many many.

Plastic guns can feel solid...they can be entirely satisfactory (this is entirely up to your own set of expectations...if you expect to do Russian Spetznas pushups on your AK...don't be surprised if your plastic Kraken snaps right in half) They will crack/break if overstressed. They can be painted (anything can be painted)...etc... They do get a bit flexy with lots of use.

I guarantee you that they will break if you fall hard on them (that's how I broke my first TM ).

Some plastics are harder...but more brittle. Some are more "flexible"...and give a bit when under stress.

Metal guns...feel solid. They can take wacks/bumps/falls. They can take repeated disassembly/reassembly (oh...and you will take it apart and reassemble ). They can take a fair bit of overtightening (you don't need too....some guys just go ape on tightening things).

They will NOT make your gun shoot farther...more accurately...or faster.

They will feel better though when you handle the rifle.

In general...AEGs are basically a rifle-looking "wrapper"...with a bunch of little parts/springs/gears stuffed inside it, wizzing around under stress. The internals...are easily found, easily replaced, etc... The wrapper (the externals) are much more expensive to replace afterwards.

For example...if you buy the plastic one and then later really, really want a metal one...you're going to be looking at $150-250 for a metal receiver. And then you're going to have to dismantle your rifle and rebuild it on the new receiver.

Universally true though...cheap guns are at best so-so. Their internals tend to be so-so to outright shitty. Their externals tend to be so-so to craptastic.

As much as possible...try to get your hands/eyes on some before you buy. To do so...get out to your local games, meet the host, meet the guys. Get age verified (usually there's a verifier at games). Most guys will let you handle their guns if you're not a drooling idiot. Most decent guys will let you shoot some guns to figure out what's what....'cause we've all been right where you're at. (go to the games)
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 22:23   #7
kalnaren

This is my theory. Internals can be replaced one hell of a lot easier than the body.

If I had a choice of excellent body OR excellent internals, I'd take the body every time.

You can get a decent second-hand full metal gun for under 500.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 22:27   #8
Jimski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell12 View Post
I find it makes it way more fun because I don't feel like I have a squirt gun. Though he is right, most CHEAP airsoft stuff is shitty metal and doesn't help a whole lot for strength.
unfortunately in my experience expensive airsoft also uses crappy metal.
Old April 27th, 2011, 22:44   #9
ao_tenshi

Thanks for some of the great advices! If I hear you correctly, sounds like function wise they're the same. But full metal feel better, last longer, and have better resale value in general for a good AEG gun. I can see if on a reputable high-end gun, its best to get full metal.

So my follow-up question would be, is G&G M4 MAX worth buying full metal? I mean, say if i get a G&G full metal shell that will last say 5yrs, but that's no good if the internals die on me in the 2nd year for example.
ao_tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 22:51   #10
Debrief
a.k.a. HKpro

I had a G&G M4 pass through my hands on the way to a friend last month with a plastic receiver. I was very impressed by the quality of the plastic.

Some companies plastic are far superior to others (Compare a JG G36 to a CA G36). G&G offers a very high grade plastic on their M4s.

However, if you are looking at keeping your gun in the long term (5 years as you indicated), it would be worthwhile to invest in a metal receiver. Metal is more durable, and as m102404 pointed out, upgrading to an aftermarket receiver is quite expensive. ($200 minimum)

Hope that helps!
Debrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 22:53   #11
Mitchell12
vision impaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimski View Post
unfortunately in my experience expensive airsoft also uses crappy metal.
It's not always true though, But you can't say all AEG's have shit metal because that's simply untrue.
Old April 27th, 2011, 22:58   #12
SuperCriollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao_tenshi View Post
Thanks for some of the great advices! If I hear you correctly, sounds like function wise they're the same. But full metal feel better, last longer, and have better resale value in general for a good AEG gun. I can see if on a reputable high-end gun, its best to get full metal.

So my follow-up question would be, is G&G M4 MAX worth buying full metal? I mean, say if i get a G&G full metal shell that will last say 5yrs, but that's no good if the internals die on me in the 2nd year for example.
For the price of the M4 Max you can get something much better in the classifieds asuming that you are over 18. For instance you could get a CA or an ICS M4 for less than 500$ BNIB.
Take care.

SuperCriollo
SuperCriollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 23:01   #13
Jimski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell12 View Post
It's not always true though, But you can't say all AEG's have shit metal because that's simply untrue.
that's right, especially for armalites where there's a lot of quality bodies available.
Old April 27th, 2011, 23:08   #14
Maethori

Send a message via Skype™ to Maethori
I've been much happier with metal bodies, though high quality plastic bodies worked pretty much just as well too. The main difference this has made for me is a tighter fit and better feeding for mags.
Maethori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 23:10   #15
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
There's plenty of decent full metal guns below $500.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion