Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

New to Airsoft

:

Newbie Tank

Old September 18th, 2015, 14:31   #1
Estrela

Thumbs up New to Airsoft

Hello,

I am new to airsoft and wondering if it is useful to buy a sidearm pistol or just stick to an AEG gun for now?

After reading some, it seems like the AEG's have enough ammo to usually make it through a round and I am just wondering if the pistol is also completely necessary.

I have put my age verification in but it is not allowing me to view classified forums yet, I assume it takes a while?

A buddy offered his 9mm berreta by IA for 100$, is this a good deal if I absolutely need to buy a sidearm?

thanks for all your help!
Estrela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 15:14   #2
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estrela View Post
Hello,

I am new to airsoft and wondering if it is useful to buy a sidearm pistol or just stick to an AEG gun for now?
Depends where and what you play. If you play CQB you can get away with a pistol, but mags cost you a bit and gbb's are more maintence.

AEG's can last you a long time.

Quote:
After reading some, it seems like the AEG's have enough ammo to usually make it through a round and I am just wondering if the pistol is also completely necessary.
AEG's have low, mid, high caps 30-500 rounds, so yes, you do the math. Pistols are not necessary.

Quote:
I have put my age verification in but it is not allowing me to view classified forums yet, I assume it takes a while?
Yes, voluntary service, could take 1 day - 1 month.

Quote:
A buddy offered his 9mm berreta by IA for 100$, is this a good deal if I absolutely need to buy a sidearm?
No, just save up a bit more $50-100 for a WE G17 or KJW, better yet, get an AEG.
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 16:23   #3
Estrela

thanks for the replies! didn't know they made AEG pistols.
Old September 18th, 2015, 16:43   #4
mikeyj

I've been playing Airsoft for a year and just got my first pistol 3 weeks ago. Not necessary, but they are fun. I would just start with a good AEG assault rifle. When you get more serious and play milsim with gun shot rules then I would look at a sidearm.
mikeyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 20:37   #5
RainyEyes

Quote:
AEP (asian electric pistols) are more of a novelty item. Not exactly meant for gaming, but they'll serve its purpose and break after 1-2 games. They're cheap but that's its purpose. You can literally pull faster than it cycles on full-auto. I believe they're also rare in Canada.
RainyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 20:39   #6
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
Quote:
Er, that's not what I was getting at... but yes they make them.

I meant get an AEG of your liking, go into a store and have a feel of different lengths and platforms.
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2015, 00:04   #7
NoGear
likes being humiliated

At the end of the day its what type of gun you want to use. Find something that feels comfy, and effective for your playstyle, that can even mean pistols though a bit expensive start-up if you go new due to magazines.
NoGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2015, 01:53   #8
Estrela

thanks for all the replies! checking out airsoftdepot.ca retail store tomorrow to test out a couple AEG's.

So many choices in airsoft!! I am seriously interested in this http://armyissue.com/catalog/product...oducts_id/2920

but am worried that it is "old" having come out in like 2008... does that matter much? I found one solid review online but anyone have any opinions/links to a great AK that is current and also real wood? preferable a canadian online retailer. I don't mind spending 500+ but I want a solid AK.

thanks.
Old September 19th, 2015, 04:41   #9
Slodin

AK...Real Sword, we can't link
pistols are depends very much on situation...like if you use an AK ( which I had before), I pretty much have to sling it to my side when entering a room and take out my pistol. Not only pistols move around easier in rooms, also I want to make sure I'm not shooting someone point blank with a 400FPS gun. (no MED at that time)

Also for bb capacity, I suggest use 100-120rd Midcaps for the best balance between "realism" and usefulness on the field. I used high caps last game because I ran dry and a teammate offered me one. I couldn't sneak up to people anymore because of how much rattle it makes...

IA M9? I searched it, and it returned KWJ. I think it's the same M9 that I use. Not worth 100 bucks used. If it comes with a bunch of mags then sure, but no..I don't think it's worth it. I bought that M9 new for $109 and $25 on an extra mag..

PS: I personally do not like AK's reloading where you have to clip the mag in then swivel the rear into the mag well. I can reload a M4 mag style much more faster than AK Mag style. (even tho I only changed to M4 platform recently)
Old September 19th, 2015, 10:25   #10
8bitninja

If you haven't played more than one game, I highly suggest renting (or borrowing) and playing a few more. I jumped in and did the full monty, now I'm on my third revision of gear -- that is, finally know what I'd like to run.
8bitninja is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank