Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

C8FTHB Project Liberties

:

Canadian

Old December 6th, 2011, 22:32   #1
MaybeStopCalling
Green Synergy

C8FTHB Project Liberties

I'm wondering, how many mods can one make to a base gun before it no longer can be associated with its base gun?

Case in point- I'm building a C8FTHB. Essentially differs from an M4A1 in appearance by having a:

- 16 Inch Heavy Barrel with Simon Sleeve
- Diamaco BUIS
- CAR Stock instead of the M4 Enhanced Stock
- Elcan C79A2 or EoTech 552
- Slim CAR grips with TRIAD
- Canadian Markings
- Rectangular Sling Loop at Reciever

Now, there's a couple of differences I thought acceptable:

- Specter DR instead of Elcan or EoTech because I already owned a Spectre DR
- KAC RIS because I'm not a huge fan of the TRIAD
- LaRue BUIS since this was a fairly fluid area of choice

Which looked like this:

Then after getting my CAR stock I wasn't too much of a fan of it... so I decided I wanted a VLTOR ModStock. Which means that the gun looks like this now:

Which didn't strike me as particularly Canadian in appearance. The only CF specific content would be the markings, the loop and the 16 inch barrel (Which I am aware is wrong in the gun builder, but there was no L119 barrel available.)

I know there are variations in design as guys often swap out issued stuff for their own, but just in general, am I pushing that a bit too far?
MaybeStopCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 22:39   #2
pugs144

If you check out the CSOR thread, VLTOR stocks and Specter DR's are fairly common in that unit. Nix the plastic BUIS though.
pugs144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 07:29   #3
FoxhoundNB

One thing I have to say though, guys are willing to spend all kind of money on their weapons overseas, on sights, drop-in rails, vertical grips... but I've never seen anyone replace their stock. That could go a long way to making it look Canadian I think.

And yeah, loose the plastic BUIS...
FoxhoundNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 16:47   #4
MaybeStopCalling
Green Synergy

It's not a plastic Diamaco BUIS- It's a Larue BUIS (Again, the gun builder didn't have it...)

The VLTOR stock was out of stock at the local airsoft shop, plus I'm spending enough money so I think I'm going to stick with the CAR. The issue I had with it was that the upper sling loop broke at the junction between the butt and loop, but a bit of hot glue bonded it back together fairly well. A bit of sanding, Krylon Flat Camo, and it's good as new. If it breaks irreparably, then I'll grab a VLTOR.

Any details I've missed?
Old December 11th, 2011, 06:17   #5
Upnorth

Hi

I'm not in the CF but having researched the C8a3 and C8FTHB, it seems that customization of the weapons depends primarily on unit and location

Basically, in Canada, customization seems pretty uncommon except for special forces. But in Astan, seems that anything that does not require disassemblying the weapon with dedicated tools is possible.

As an example : http://th02.deviantart.net/fs51/PRE/..._War_Shark.jpg

Best

V
Upnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2011, 20:18   #6
MaybeStopCalling
Green Synergy

UpNorth... goddamn that's a lot of kit- But if it works for him, then I suppose all is well.
Old December 12th, 2011, 17:19   #7
Upnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Skeletor- View Post
Upnorth, for the customization with CANSOF, those RAS, VLTORs, etc are issue items and come with the C8s, etc. Not really the same as some guy in a Infantry Battalion going out and buying his own add on weapon parts.

Yes, overseas is a lot more relaxed when it comes to adding on to your weapon, within reason and is dependent on the unit.

In Canada, some units are ok with RAS handguards, most aren't.. the most common thing you can get away with is using your own vert grip and slings.
Hi

Unrelated question (to the C8 that is) but i don't know where to ask : As for the radios, is the PRC-148 only used in Astan while the Assault radio is used in Canada or is the PRC-148 replacing the Light Assault Radio ?

Best

V
Old December 13th, 2011, 08:03   #8
Upnorth

Quote:
AN/PRC 148 was only used in Afghanistan AFAIK, not sure if any Army units had it in Canada. The AN/PRC 152 is the Army's new radio(couple of years in service now) not sure if it is in Afghanistan, but I know that it is in use in Canada.

I'm sure some units/schools still use the AN/PRC 521 LAR, but it's seeing limited use.
That's great news (for me that is). They use a standard 152 with NATO type plug and Clansman adapter (for the PRRs) or they have a Clansman version ?

Best

V
Old December 15th, 2011, 10:29   #9
Upnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
That's great news (for me that is). They use a standard 152 with NATO type plug and Clansman adapter (for the PRRs) or they have a Clansman version ?

Best

V
Anyone can answer that ? What plug on the PRC-152 used by the CF : Clansman 7 pins or U283 ?

Best

V
Old December 16th, 2011, 09:21   #10
Upnorth

Quote:
Pretty sure it's 6 pins/U283, if I get a chance I'll check out the 152 at work tomorrow.
Cool, thanks

How do you guys connect it to the PRRs as i recall that your PRRs with dual PTTs have Clansman 7 pins ends ?

Best

V
Old December 17th, 2011, 04:37   #11
Upnorth

Quote:
152 is the U283 connector

Never heard/seen of anyone connecting or wanting to connect those the PRR to the 152.

The only radio I've seen and know of that we connect the dual PTT PRR to is the AN/PRC 522 radio(man pack VHF radio).
Hi

Thanks for the quick answer !

In Astan i have seen several pictures of canadian soldiers with the dual PTT connected to AN/PRC-148 via an adapter, this is why i was asking...

V
Old December 17th, 2011, 10:06   #12
FoxhoundNB

I've seen MBTRs sent out to command PRRs (the one with 2 PTTs)

I can't recall the specifics.
FoxhoundNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2011, 18:05   #13
Upnorth

Here are some examples (some hard to see but they are with adaptors) :

http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca...catalog=photos

Best picture of the adapter : http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca...catalog=photos

For some reason, the use of the PRR coupled with the PRC-148 seems pretty consistent...

V

Last edited by Upnorth; December 17th, 2011 at 18:11..
Old December 17th, 2011, 18:33   #14
Upnorth

Quote:
Cool, those pictures look fairly new, like I said above on my tour the MBITRs weren't widely issued, just to some Platoon Commanders and I think some to 9TAC and probably FACs and from what I remember we just had the Cop mics for them.

The pairing of the MBITR to PRR is new to me, didn't see that when I was over there. I would guess that the PRR coupled with the 148 is consistent in those newer pictures is because of the adaptors coming into the system, now the person can use that one headset to talk to his/her section/platoon(aslong as in range) with the PRR and use the MBITR for talking to other C/S on VHF, etc
Do you think these adaptors are canada made ? I found no trace of them online...

Would it be logical to see the same setup with the PRC152 as well ?

V
Old December 17th, 2011, 18:43   #15
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

The only thing left stock G&P on my M4 was the mechbox shell, a few minor internals parts, the mechbox body pin, and the outer barrel which I cut down and re-threaded.
I still considered it a G&P M4 lol
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > Canadian