Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

PTW Issues

:

Doctor's Corner

Old April 2nd, 2008, 18:48   #16
mcguyver

Just so I understand, in semi, the gears held up fine with the 9.6v and the M90. When you went to go full-auto, the gun ran for 1 burst, then blew up on the second burst?

Can you post up a pic of the cylinder and the sector gear. I'm guessing it was the sector gear that failed? Or was it more gears than that? And this was a MAX gun, right? Did the sun gear show signs of wear on the outside edge (ie. the black finish is has been worn away).

The M90 is really a light load. It's the last cylinder you'd expect to see that kind of damage with. M150, maybe, but not M90.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 18:57   #17
wildcard

Send a message via MSN to wildcard Send a message via Yahoo to wildcard
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
Just so I understand, in semi, the gears held up fine with the 9.6v and the M90. When you went to go full-auto, the gun ran for 1 burst, then blew up on the second burst?

Can you post up a pic of the cylinder and the sector gear. I'm guessing it was the sector gear that failed? Or was it more gears than that? And this was a MAX gun, right? Did the sun gear show signs of wear on the outside edge (ie. the black finish is has been worn away).

The M90 is really a light load. It's the last cylinder you'd expect to see that kind of damage with. M150, maybe, but not M90.
yes this is a MAX QC assembly from the factory, well all the gears was new I open the damn thing as soon as it arrive via UPS, and considering that it is only a M90 cylinder this should not have been a problem, the first full auto burst was shooting smooth then when i pulled the second time it grinds, I pulled out the cylinder an all the teeth on the gears are in pieces, the cylinder itself show wear but they looked even.

I'm not sure why this problem exist with only the new PTW, my first Gen last me a while before the body cracked(my own fault I ran into a tree)
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 19:03   #18
mcguyver

So, was it the sector gear, or both visible gears (sector and sun)?

If Z-Shot looked at it, likely it was Steven at Empire Airsoft who did the work, unless Wallace did it himself.

If I was closer to you, I'd look at it for you. Unless you have another gig in Fort Mac coming up.

There was a case where a fellow from the U.S. had 1 tooth on the sector gear break, but it broke clean and caused no other damage. I think the rack gear is tougher than the sector gear, so that would most likely be the one to go in a "confrontation".

If you need compatible gears, I have some planetaries, but that's all. The sector gear I have is from Gen 1 and the sensor holes are in a different location.

Send me pics if you can, even via e-mail if you have no image host.

Old April 2nd, 2008, 19:08   #19
wildcard

Send a message via MSN to wildcard Send a message via Yahoo to wildcard
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
So, was it the sector gear, or both visible gears (sector and sun)?

If Z-Shot looked at it, likely it was Steven at Empire Airsoft who did the work, unless Wallace did it himself.

If I was closer to you, I'd look at it for you. Unless you have another gig in Fort Mac coming up.

There was a case where a fellow from the U.S. had 1 tooth on the sector gear break, but it broke clean and caused no other damage. I think the rack gear is tougher than the sector gear, so that would most likely be the one to go in a "confrontation".

If you need compatible gears, I have some planetaries, but that's all. The sector gear I have is from Gen 1 and the sensor holes are in a different location.

Send me pics if you can, even via e-mail if you have no image host.
this time it was only the gears that made the contact with the cylinder the first and second time was both gears, the package I got was originally from Systema Japan
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 19:18   #20
mcguyver

Well. if necessary, maybe you could send me the gearbox, and I can see what I find. I can talk to Wallace as well about parts for it.

Old April 6th, 2008, 01:08   #21
KEVORKIAN

Question: Have you inspected & pulled apart any of the cylinders that were involved with the gun failures?
Have these cylinders been tested in other guns?

I SUPPORT THE USE OF SILICA BB BASTARDS!
KEVORKIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 21:55   #22
Rookie Ab
a.k.a. Kody_1

Just wondering if anyone has come up with a theory on this M90 /full auto, gear stripping problem? Was mentioned also with M90 other problems .Just curios as to what kind of problems,to look out for.(just got a M90 for indoor).

Have had 490 related problems already,now I have to watch my low power cylinder too .
Rookie Ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 22:12   #23
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

When you close your receiver, is there no resistance or does it take some pressure to get the two halves to close properly.

I found that I had an M90 start to strip the cylinder gears (stock) at an indoor game, turns out I had too few shims on the buffer tube cap.

I'd suggest checking this, and if you can close your receiver without resistance, add some shims. That's what I did and my ptw is humming along fine since.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 22:35   #24
mcguyver

I think it also needs to be said that whne you remove the stock tube to install something as simple as a sling adapter, just putting all the parts back in does not guarantee success. You have to return the stock tube to it's pre-removal position. Then make sure it's shimmed properly.

When it's done right, the receivers are hard to open. That's when you know you got it right.

ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner