Airsoft Canada
BuyAirsoft

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > Other Regions
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Snipers Corner

:

Other Regions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 7th, 2006, 22:06   #61
Valcrow
 
Valcrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mississauga On
Send a message via MSN to Valcrow
Gotta side with manchovie on this one. I see absolutly no reason to have restrictions on the sniper forum.. it kind of defeats the entire purpose which is to offer and discuss information on sniping. If we restrict the people that can view/post on it, how are new snipers going to ask about weapons, fieldcraft and other things? Why not just post in the gun or general forums then?

Part of the reason why you want this forum is to inform new people in the sniping scene on how to play the role or be effective for the team. You can't do that by restricting access. If you have 'secrets' you aren't willing to share, don't post it, share with others in game or pms.

I am totally in favor of the new sniper board, I have lots to ask and share as I'm sure a lot of you do as well, and a dedicated sniper board would make a great place to discuss related strategies and weapon choices without disrupting other boards with our 'strange ways' And would also give a more specific location for new players to ask questions without attracting the regular flame crowd.

One thing I don't want, though I forsee it becomming is a forum dedicated to a specific group of airsoft snipers. You guys are already arguing the definition of a sniper. Airsoft snipers are nothing like real snipers because of the simple fact that the range isn't anywhere near what they would be in real life.

Some snipers like to stay invisible the entire game. some like to take out high priority targets. and others just want the thrill shooting things with a scope, even in an orange bunny suit. If we DO have a sniper forum. It should have the capacity and tolerance for all of these things. Otherwize it'll just be one large forum dedicated to the debate of the definition of an airsoft sniper.

Other than that I see no reason why we shouldn't have a sniper forum. (besides the mods will have to do some work
__________________
I have 2 personalities, Telkin and Valcrow.
Valcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 22:53   #62
Drake
E-01
 
Drake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Montreal, QC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valcrow
Airsoft snipers are nothing like real snipers because of the simple fact that the range isn't anywhere near what they would be in real life.
But this goes back to what some of us where trying to get across: too many people focus on snipers being about long range. Yes, snipers DO shoot long range; their accute marksmanship allows them to do so. But if we take a police sharpshooter (since we're focusing on guns and marksmanship skills more than fieldcraft skills), they don't set up across town; they set up across the street.

A huge factor in calling yourself "sniper" is fieldcraft (IMO anyway). Without it, you're just some guy with a big gun. It isn't like in the movies.

Some snipers/sharpshooters will employ 5.56x45, 9x39 (the Russian VSS, which has a reported eff. range of ~400m), or even 9x19 (HK94SG1, although granted that one didn't really take off), 45ACP (Delisle Carbine) and 22LR (IDF's suppressed Ruger 10/22).

The latter examples apply perfectly to airsoft, where stealth are paramount because the sniper is engaging targets up close, as quietly as possible.
__________________
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 22:56   #63
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril
 
FOX_111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Terrebonne, Québec
Why don't we call sniper everyone toting a BA rifle with a scope.
__________________

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 23:30   #64
Valcrow
 
Valcrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mississauga On
Send a message via MSN to Valcrow
That's exactly it. I think this forum should blanket the term airsoft sniper with anyone carying a sniper capable weapon regardless of their ability to stay hidden or anything else. Regardless of if you think it should be considered sniper or not, because otherwize, drakes post is exactly what we will get throughout the forum because I've seen it happen with every other sniper thread even when people are just asking about guns. (im not sayin you're wrong, I quite agree with you, just not the point)

There are other ways to play as an airsoft sniper, (or marksman if you wanna call it that) a BA scoped rifle can do much more than being used very quietly in a concealed place. You can assult with a team, pin down enemies so well they won't even stick their heads out for more than a second without even firing a shot.

I'm saying we have a division here amongst milsim snipers and skirmish snipers. And we simply can't argue about the term because that's all we'll ever talk about. So we should just accept everyone who wants to play with a long range rifle (preferably scoped) as a sniper to make everyones lives easier. There are quite a wide variety of play styles with BA rifles and should all be covered in the sniper section.

I'm not disputing your term for 'sniper'. I say 'airsoft sniper' for a reason because it's different and the playstyle is much broader than you specify. Manchovie's charging BA style is a completely legitmate and oddly effective. but only in airsoft. I'm only saying we should condense the term sniper for all future reference so we don't get into the whole fieldcraft vs. gun thing.
__________________
I have 2 personalities, Telkin and Valcrow.
Valcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 00:03   #65
SKI
 
SKI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mississauga
So why don't we call it a BA section or sharpshooter section? After all, that's what it's going to be.
I may sound anal but I have a problem with people using the term "sniper" as a general term for anyone with a BA rifle. That's one of the misconceptions that new players have. The point is that this is a milsim hobby. Some of us go to great lengths to make it as real as possible.
__________________
www.ctmotorsports.ca
SKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 00:07   #66
SCG48
a.k.a. SniperChic
 
SCG48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Farm
as it has been said here, there should not be any restrictions imposed, the whole pupose of this sniper section is not only to answere questions, but to provide information for those who dont quite know what we do, and for those thinking of switching over to the "dark" side. With that being said, if you do not want pertinent info disclosed, then dont post it, and I said before there is some things that we dont disclose, and as part of the creed goes, tricks of the trade dont get revealed.......there is a penalty if you disclose "classified" info :lol: remember the saying, run and you will only die tired..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
__________________


G48
Bolt Action Level 2 Certified
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired or reserve - is someone who at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The Country of Canada", for an amount of "up to and including my life."-- Author Unknown
SCG48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 00:28   #67
Groombug
 
Groombug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperChic
I said before there is some things that we dont disclose, and as part of the creed goes, tricks of the trade dont get revealed.......there is a penalty if you disclose "classified" info
Jesus. I gotta stop telling people the colour of the boathouse at Hereford...
__________________
Contras A-06: F**k it, we'll do it live.

修身齊家治國平天下
Groombug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 00:44   #68
Valcrow
 
Valcrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mississauga On
Send a message via MSN to Valcrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI
So why don't we call it a BA section or sharpshooter section? After all, that's what it's going to be.
I may sound anal but I have a problem with people using the term "sniper" as a general term for anyone with a BA rifle. That's one of the misconceptions that new players have. The point is that this is a milsim hobby. Some of us go to great lengths to make it as real as possible.
That's not a bad idea I could live with that. So long as the whole sniper vs. guns vs. fieldcraft debate is somewhat controlled its all good, I've read far too many threads eaten up by that.

Subforums for skirmishers, milsimers and gun tech would be nice too So new players can hit the right zone for the type of play so they dont get shammed for using the word 'sniper' wrong.
__________________
I have 2 personalities, Telkin and Valcrow.
Valcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 01:11   #69
SKI
 
SKI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mississauga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valcrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI
So why don't we call it a BA section or sharpshooter section? After all, that's what it's going to be.
I may sound anal but I have a problem with people using the term "sniper" as a general term for anyone with a BA rifle. That's one of the misconceptions that new players have. The point is that this is a milsim hobby. Some of us go to great lengths to make it as real as possible.
That's not a bad idea I could live with that. So long as the whole sniper vs. guns vs. fieldcraft debate is somewhat controlled its all good, I've read far too many threads eaten up by that.

Subforums for skirmishers, milsimers and gun tech would be nice too So new players can hit the right zone for the type of play so they dont get shammed for using the word 'sniper' wrong.

Sounds like some progress.
__________________
www.ctmotorsports.ca
SKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 02:14   #70
Drake
E-01
 
Drake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Montreal, QC
Valcrow, I actually do agree entirely with your post. The bulk of my posts have been in response to the suggestion the section should be restricted to "snipers" -- if you read my original reply to that, I asked [rhetorically] what determines if someone is a sniper. I guess that kinda started the ball rolling in that direction, so my bad on that.

But my point/objection and subsequent arguments remain: snipers are more than just the type of action their weapon uses. I wasn't trying to define "sniper" as much as arguing that if someone comes along with an MP5 converted to HK94 SG1 he's as much entitled to having access to the sniper section (if thats what he wants to play) than someone with a decked out M24.

Ergo, it's more than just about the gun.


Quote:
as it has been said here, there should not be any restrictions imposed, the whole pupose of this sniper section is not only to answere questions, but to provide information for those who dont quite know what we do, and for those thinking of switching over to the "dark" side. With that being said, if you do not want pertinent info disclosed, then dont post it, and I said before there is some things that we dont disclose, and as part of the creed goes, tricks of the trade dont get revealed.......there is a penalty if you disclose "classified" info remember the saying, run and you will only die tired.....
I too could live with that. Although the 'tricks of the trade' bit seems hard to enforce.
__________________
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 11:14   #71
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril
 
FOX_111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Terrebonne, Québec
Why is there a big problem with the word sniper?

If this section is to see the light, it must not be a assle for mods. So IMO, a big general "BA rifles and sniper" section is enough.

If you play like a "real" sniper and you are bothered with the noob toting a scoped BA and playing like a noob, than it is your job to elevate yourself and set the example on how a "real" sniper should work and play.

I see a lot of newcommers with BA rifles comming to games. No ghillie, no complete BDU, often wearing black. They think they are snipers. Good for them. As long as they don't fuck other people plans.

We are not to judge who is what. Just lay the necessary information and people will do what they want with it.

As for the trick of the trade restricted information, I'm kinda embivalent toward it. I'v read tons of sniper related books. I think I know a lot in a general sence. But all this leet knowledge don't do shit on the field if I can't practice it and aply it. Same goes to what we now know as an airsoft sniper with a couple years of experience under our ghillie.
__________________

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 13:54   #72
manchovie
 
manchovie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto
Send a message via ICQ to manchovie Send a message via AIM to manchovie Send a message via MSN to manchovie
lol valcrow is right, arguing the definition of snipers is dumb. i am doing this for the gun tech stuff more than anything, i'd love to hear what people have discovered for accuracy boosting, so lets get this shit going.

ps the moment you make sacrifices (rof, minimum engagement range etc) in order to get range, you are a sniper. you may not be a GOOD sniper, but you have a different set of duties to perform, and you gotta pull your weight.
__________________
experienced toronto gun doctor, hundreds of guns serviced
manchovie gun doc thread!

my b/s rating
manchovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 14:24   #73
F34N0R
 
F34N0R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Saint-Georges, QC
Send a message via MSN to F34N0R
ok ... i have a suggestion

having a private group for sharpshooter (for those known knowing about sniping stuff)and having a general "sniper" section for : gun spec., camo, etc..

i wanna start with a good question: should i "zeroted" my BA to a long distance ie: 200 feet or "zeroted" it till bb goes down?
__________________
WAR-THUG CORP.
F34N0R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 14:39   #74
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril
 
FOX_111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Terrebonne, Québec
Quote:
Originally Posted by *ATF*Feanor
i wanna start with a good question: should i "zeroted" my BA to a long distance ie: 200 feet or "zeroted" it till bb goes down?
I'd zero it for your standard engagement distance. Beyond that, you can compensate visually for the drop.
__________________

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 15:06   #75
Iceman
 
Iceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Send a message via MSN to Iceman
Maximum effective distance.

If your bb can reach 250 feet before it becomes ineffective (drops too much) then zero it 'there'.
__________________
www.antoinethisdale.com
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > Other Regions

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
BuyAirsoft

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.