Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

KWA USP Compact question(s)

:

Newbie Tank

Old October 1st, 2015, 19:25   #1
double-0-newb

KWA USP Compact question(s)

Hi!

Purchased used from another ASC member last year, non-NS2 version; mags (4) do not have follower. I hope that is specific enough.
Gun cycles as it should, and fires (really well!) without issue.

Question 1: Is the slide supposed to lock back on the last BB being fired, or not?

Question 2: Is one way to test is by inserting an mag full of gas but with no BBs inserted, and fire once; will the slide not lock back on that first shot? Tests with both BBs and dry-firing result in same non lock-back state.

Possible contributing factor: the slide catch lever, both the one that came with the gun and a brand-new one falls out of the gun when racking the slide (you have to be holding the gun with it's left side (port side) horizontal to the ground ie. the side of the gun with the slide catch lever needs to be facing the ground.) If holding the gun in the shooting position, ie sights-side up, the slide catch lever does not fall out.
I suspect that the notch in the slide meant to be caught by the slide catch lever is worn out\damaged <pics attached>.
The local retailer, who I have no reason not to trust, got me the replacement slide catch lever after inspecting the gun and being shown the slide catch lever issue.

Your thoughts on the lock-back-on-last-shot question are most appreciated.
If you want to venture an opinion on the slide catch lever issue I would be most grateful.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140709_132927[1].jpg (1.59 MB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140709_133312[1].jpg (1.35 MB, 20 views)
Old October 1st, 2015, 19:41   #2
Danke

It should lock back.

The notch in the slide should have nice sharp 90 degree corners.

To test all you need to to do is insert an empty mag and pull the slide back. It should engage then.
Old October 1st, 2015, 20:34   #3
double-0-newb

Thanks Danke for the prompt reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post
It should lock back.

The notch in the slide should have nice sharp 90 degree corners.

To test all you need to to do is insert an empty mag and pull the slide back. It should engage then.
With an empty mag, racking the slide back does lock it back, but the slide "notch" appears to be barely holding the slide catch lever.

Also of note; with the slide locked back, depressing either the left or right magazine catch causes the slide to release and move back into battery\ slide back forward. Again, including this information in case it is relevant.

1 - New slide required to fix the no-lock back issue?
2 - New slide might also fix the ejecting slide catch lever issue?
Old October 1st, 2015, 20:41   #4
augherk

a new slide would most likely solve your problems- the challenge is finding a pre-ns2 slide for a less common handgun- it will probably not be stock ksc/kwa, which means it will be expensive. but your gun will look awesome and will work fine again.
augherk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2015, 22:27   #5
Danke

I have a Zeke slide on my compact. It's super slick.
Old October 2nd, 2015, 01:38   #6
shelcoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by augherk View Post
a new slide would most likely solve your problems- the challenge is finding a pre-ns2 slide for a less common handgun- it will probably not be stock ksc/kwa, which means it will be expensive. but your gun will look awesome and will work fine again.
Or get your self a file and file down the worn down area to 90 degrees

It shouldn't be too difficult to and its much cheaper than trying to find a unicorn

To test to see if you've filed it enough just insert a dry mag and rack the slide back yourself... if it locks consistently your good to go
shelcoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 17:16   #7
localfreerider
willing to perform services in a dark alley that may or may not leave you satisfied for a title. GFE = 1, looks = 2, BBFS for an extra $50.

Apparently the slide and barrel are cross compatible system 7 & NS2 but if you need a new slide I've found one here.

EDIT: I was wrong there not compatible!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkiLY_qwXkg

Last edited by localfreerider; October 3rd, 2015 at 16:24..
localfreerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 18:01   #8
shelcoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by localfreerider View Post
Apparently the slide and barrel are cross compatible system 7 & NS2 but if you need a new slide I've found one here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KWA-KSC-Meta...item1c54bea856

I have no experience with the Gen 1 system. I do know from my understanding is that System 7 and NS2 are 2nd Gen. The names are different from North America and Asia. Example in Asia its KSC and over here in North America its KWA.

I don't know whether the slides of the Gen 1 and Gen 2 are interchangeable... maybe the OP should look into it a bit more. Would suck spending over 60$ for a slide and barrel that you can't use.
shelcoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 19:43   #9
DipTwit

Before you spend money on a new slide, consider checking this first:

What do you mean when you say the mags don't have followers? In almost all GBBs the follower has the little bar that makes the slide-lock function work... so that's confusing.

Assuming you really do have followers, so the mags ought to work, take the bottom off the mags, remove the springs and followers, and see what condition they're in. I had one (also in a KSC but a glock) where the spring was getting weak, worn, and neither it nor the follower were sliding smoothly.

I replaced the spring and follower with new, and the slide-lock worked perfectly after that.

Hope it helps,
Dip
DipTwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 21:55   #10
Slodin

Quote:
Originally Posted by double-0-newb View Post
Hi!

Purchased used from another ASC member last year, non-NS2 version; mags (4) do not have follower. I hope that is specific enough.
Gun cycles as it should, and fires (really well!) without issue.

Question 1: Is the slide supposed to lock back on the last BB being fired, or not?

Question 2: Is one way to test is by inserting an mag full of gas but with no BBs inserted, and fire once; will the slide not lock back on that first shot? Tests with both BBs and dry-firing result in same non lock-back state.

Possible contributing factor: the slide catch lever, both the one that came with the gun and a brand-new one falls out of the gun when racking the slide (you have to be holding the gun with it's left side (port side) horizontal to the ground ie. the side of the gun with the slide catch lever needs to be facing the ground.) If holding the gun in the shooting position, ie sights-side up, the slide catch lever does not fall out.
I suspect that the notch in the slide meant to be caught by the slide catch lever is worn out\damaged <pics attached>.
The local retailer, who I have no reason not to trust, got me the replacement slide catch lever after inspecting the gun and being shown the slide catch lever issue.

Your thoughts on the lock-back-on-last-shot question are most appreciated.
If you want to venture an opinion on the slide catch lever issue I would be most grateful.

Thanks!

I had a pistol that doesn't lock back but it's suppose to. I had 6 mags to play around with (because it was the same pistol as my friends).

result was 5 lock back, 1 doesn't. it was because the notch on the mag is worn badly so it won't lock.

btw dry fire would result in lock back

so either your mags are worn, or the slide is worn? thats my guess...
Old October 2nd, 2015, 22:52   #11
double-0-newb

@ augherk: thanks for the PM with detailed online retailer contact info. And yes, plastic slide.
@ Danke: re. Zeke slides. Holy jeez, that's worth more than the gun! But very nice.
@ shelcoof: I will in fact try that suggestion; stay tuned.
@ localfreerider & shelcoof: indeed, my online searches raise more quenstions than they answer when it comes to pre- or non- NS2 \ system 7 versions.
@DipTwit: I was using the term "followers" from page 13 of this manual > http://kwausa.com/files/1913/0714/34...02_USP_V01.pdf > , and take a look at attached pictures of my mag(s, all 4 the same); no lock, no follower lock. Is that more clear? If it is, and you have seen mine, shoudl I still proceed with your suggestion of removing the bottom and checking the spring(s)?
@Slodin: sound theory, gotta try with all 4 mags, so far have been only testing with two. Excellent points.

Thanks everyone for taking the time. You all rock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151002_224044[1].jpg (1.35 MB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20151002_224030[1].jpg (1.44 MB, 22 views)

Last edited by double-0-newb; October 2nd, 2015 at 22:54.. Reason: Slodin update
double-0-newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2015, 12:49   #12
Danke

That mag has a follower, and I can see the hold open catch in the second photo. It's the little square section.

Those magazines are a bit of a pain to take apart. you need a tiny drift to punch out pins.
Old October 3rd, 2015, 15:30   #13
Katlyn Cage

if it helps, i have the same usp compact but mine does lock back. its also in like new condition so that may be why.
Katlyn Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2015, 22:25   #14
Kwokwai

Send a message via ICQ to Kwokwai Send a message via MSN to Kwokwai Send a message via Yahoo to Kwokwai
Just realized that I have a spare stock plastic KSC USP Compact slide/outer barrel combo with blowback chamber and some other parts sitting around in my spare parts bin. It's in pretty decent condition. If you want it, PM me and we can discuss. This was left over from an upgrade to metal from many years ago when I had a new USPc for a few months before selling it off without even skirmishing with it.
Kwokwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 10:58   #15
double-0-newb

@ localfreerider: thanks for the edit, and great find on the video. Thanks.
@ Katlyn Cage: Noted. Thanks.
@ Kwokwai: Stay tuned, I might be reaching out to you shortly via PM.

Update: I will be filing down the (clearly mangled by a previous owner) slide notch so it has a sharp 90 degree (rear-most) corner in the next couple of days, and will update with results.
Thanks again.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank