Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Cold weather Loadout?

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old December 21st, 2012, 12:07   #1
Shifty-C

Cold weather Loadout?

What types of guns do you guys use for outdoor winter games?
Temperatures from 0 to -15ish.

The point where gas guns are a write off and even some AEG's.

im thinking of using a springer Shotgun for a Primary. maybe a co2 side arm. or a springer pistol.

cool factor really goes down the drain, its all about functionality and reliability in the cold weather.
Shifty-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 12:13   #2
Kos-Mos

A bow?

CO2 GBBRs work in cold... but they are more prone to break (nozzle)

I ran mine at -20
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 12:23   #3
Shifty-C

a bow would be bad ass..
what brand of gbbr were you running?
Old December 21st, 2012, 12:25   #4
MaciekA

Great idea for a thread and reliability is really the focus.

For AEGs in the winter, nothing beats a big QUALITY lipo. I ran midsize lipos last winter like the hobby king 1300mah 11.1V in -12C and still had more than enough at the end of the day to do a few whole rig mag dumps for fun. Anyone running NiMH left early some of those games. I don't anticipate my 6000mah zippy to have any issues this winter.

For the body, I have to say extremities are always underappreciated. Gloves and socks, layers of gloves and socks, and above all else , dryness!

Now you know

MaciekA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 12:27   #5
MaciekA

If you are running NiMHs one strategy is to keep an extra on you, toasty in your jacket under a sweater near body heat. When your battery dies, your backup will be warm.

Now you know

Old December 21st, 2012, 12:30   #6
MaciekA

Another thing to watch for is bucking freeze. A lot of guns will jam in extreme cold, so during the warmup phase you may want to ease off hopup immediately. Keep your hopup chamber warm if you can. Prepare for winter by testing buckings in the freezer. Survivability is more important than raw performance.

Now you know

Old December 21st, 2012, 12:37   #7
Renegade)
A Total Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaciekA View Post
Another thing to watch for is bucking freeze. A lot of guns will jam in extreme cold, so during the warmup phase you may want to ease off hopup immediately. Keep your hopup chamber warm if you can. Prepare for winter by testing buckings in the freezer. Survivability is more important than raw performance.
Yeah I was just going to say that, the only thing that ruins my winter games is when my hopup bucking freezes! I toyed around with a heated wire wrapped around my hopup one time, it worked until about -20 LOL, just not enough room in there to insulate the wire more to keep its heat, and the battery froze up as well after a few hours.

If you do not have the cash to get proper, quality fleece layers, a solid waterproof and wind proof cold weather outer shell, just do what I did for years on a college budget. Full snowmobile suit, under 30$ surplus winter whites! Then just a matter of a good fleece watchcap, good warm gloves that actually fit in the trigger, and always try to keep moving around.
Old December 21st, 2012, 12:49   #8
Kos-Mos

It's a WE SCAR OB

I had no issue with the hop-up, but my M14 had...

Also, 1300mAh is a SMALL Lipo... 8000mAh 36v is a large LiPo...
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 12:57   #9
Shifty-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade) View Post
Yeah I was just going to say that, the only thing that ruins my winter games is when my hopup bucking freezes!
yea thats what i was going to say too! my hop up rubber usually gets hard and usually jams long before my battery would run out.

but i guess you could build your aeg with winter in mind. testing hop up rubbers in the freezer and using a good battery.

As for clothing, i usually have a problem with sweat rather than cold weather. and its harder to dress for. I use a condor soft shell usually with a fleece but it breathes like shit despite what they say. pit zips are nice though. it might be worth getting a proper base layer to wick moisture and see how that works. Also hard to find gloves thin enough for good dexterity but still warm.

and have some cool Olive Drab, and dark earthish snow pants from costco haha. 20 bucks!

Last edited by Shifty-C; December 21st, 2012 at 13:01..
Old December 21st, 2012, 13:04   #10
BIG

I bought a cheap walmart 12 pomp (35$), placed it outside at 28ºC for the night and in the morning it was shooting good! it might save your game

I also have winter batteries. NIMH with a long wire. Keep the battery in my jacket and run the extension in my arms to the gun. Just need to unplug before leaving the gun but works good.
BIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 13:32   #11
Reaper87

I run my AEG a classic army M15A4 and my KWC 1911 CO2 and they have not failed me yet. I also love using my spring tri-shot shotgun. I have had no issues yet but this is the first year I have played outdoors all year round and the weather has not really gone below -5 or so.

For clothing I wear under armour t-shirt , a regular t-shirt than my atacs fg top , with a hoodie on top of that. Two layers of socks. hiking boots , jeans , and gloves. an extra pair of gloves is a good idea in case they get wet.

After a couple games you'll get and stay warmed up. We also have a fire at our base camp to dry gear between games and keep people warm.
Reaper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 14:02   #12
Cheeseman

I ran my m249s (both A&K and CA) in 4+ hour winter games at about -6 to -12 and haven't had any problems.

I wouldn't use ARs or pot-metal Aks..once a CYMA ak74 flashider simply cracked off the second I dropped it 2 feet down.

if you have a box mag and running a 249...a good trick is to throw in 2 hotpacks that actually work.

Jamming a hotpack in the ak top cover works.

Jamming a hotpack in an AR and AK buttstock also works.

Diddo on the wire extensions, I would recommend using a deans plug...that way if your gun gets stuck on a branch, falls off..or does anything to break off a wire...it will simply snap off the connector and not break anything off. Point being is..if you are running and extension cord... don't use Tamiya connectors.
Cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 11:43   #13
mmelo

Re: Aeg's don't know enough yet to answer

Re: GBBR also don't know enough yet, though I'm pleasantly surprised that CO2 units function in the cold in PB I (and most of the industry in northern climates) have long since abandoned it in favor of HPA because it performed terribly in cold weather.

Re: Clothing, Merino wool socks, water proof breathable boots. Merino wool under garments, cu, fleece jacket (if it's cold enough), fleece or wool gloves, poncho (saving up for a Cadpat breathable shell) out west its all about staying dry and clothing that insulate's even when wet.
mmelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 14:43   #14
kullwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmelo View Post
Re: GBBR also don't know enough yet, though I'm pleasantly surprised that CO2 units function in the cold in PB I (and most of the industry in northern climates) have long since abandoned it in favor of HPA because it performed terribly in cold weather.
Paintball run at 600/800psi
Airsoft run at ~100-130psi
CO2 vapour pressure at -20 is still around 250 or so.
Old December 24th, 2012, 00:11   #15
maverick5770

Send a message via MSN to maverick5770
I mostly use my springer shotgun in the winter, and my c02 revolver. up to minus 10 my ak74u works good, but colder than that i leave it behind.
maverick5770 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion