Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Is it common for people to carpool to events?

:

Newbie Tank

Old November 10th, 2012, 00:47   #1
DietCoke=

Is it common for people to carpool to events?

I am new to the sport and want to attend some field games. Although I'm 20 years old, my school costs make owning a car prohibitively expensive. As such, I am left without a means with which to reach the aforementioned fields. Hence my question. If people do in fact carpool, how does one arrange to partake?
I live in North York, Toronto.

EDIT : I've decided to begin updating this post with suggestions from the ones below. This will make it easier for everyone to refer to an easy list of what to do when it comes to being a great shotgunner ( off the field ).

1. If you want a ride to an event but don't know anyone headed there then simply make a post in the event's thread. You should list your location, what you can contribute and perhaps some information about yourself ( this one isn't as important ).

2. Make sure to bring a change of clothes and shoes if you're going to get dirty as well as bag to keep them in, or at the very least a towel or something to keep your driver's car clean.

3. This is a useful general rule in life : Be ready half an hour early. If you're going to be picked up at 7 then act as if your driver arrives at 6:30 and leaves at 6:31.

4. Being ready means having your batteries charged and your guns packed and ready to go.

5. If you're bringing snacks bring enough for everyone and a bag for your trash whether or not you expect there to be any. This person is already helping you out, they don't want to be your mother.

6. Offer to compensate for gas money whether or not they accept it. If they decline don't just leave it at that, offer a coffee or something. Remember, a small gesture of kindness can be a huge gesture to someone else. Likewise, a lack of it could be interpreted harshly by others. It doesn't matter whether you offer to pay for gas or buy them a doughnut, a contribution is better than nothing.

Thank you for the corrections coach

Last edited by DietCoke=; November 10th, 2012 at 20:47..
DietCoke= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 01:21   #2
Stealthee
a.k.a. cloaked

Yes people do carpool together. It's usually a group of close friends, but sometimes if you make a request for a ride in the game thread someone might offer.
Stealthee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 01:23   #3
DietCoke=

Thanks for the reply. I assume I'd have to know the people beforehand? As in there is no system where people willing to give and people in need of transportation can interact?
Old November 10th, 2012, 03:35   #4
ccyg8774

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietCoke= View Post
Thanks for the reply. I assume I'd have to know the people beforehand? As in there is no system where people willing to give and people in need of transportation can interact?
When the game organizer made a thread about a game, other players post "in" "out" or "maybe".
If you need a ride, you can post something like "Maybe - In if I can get a ride", and include your location, also good to state you are willing to split the gas cost, etc. Someone else going on the same direction may contact you. You don't have to know each other beforehand - You guys are both airsofters! That's means a lot already.

Last edited by ccyg8774; November 10th, 2012 at 03:38..
ccyg8774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 07:44   #5
HackD

To expand on what ccyg8774 and stealthee have already said, yes it's common. In addition to a fair-share gas cost contribution, an offer to treat for coffee's on the way in, usually goes a long way. Also, have all your ducks in a row to go at the arranged pickup time to toss your guns, gear and yourself into the vehicle as soon as it shows. Nothing pisses off a driver more than someone dicking around and not having been prepared to go. This should be common sense, but unfortunately a lot of people didn't get that memo. It's a good way to watch your arranged drive leave without you.
HackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 07:58   #6
DietCoke=

Alright thanks for your help guys, this is extremely useful advice. I will make sure to use it soon!
Old November 10th, 2012, 09:48   #7
coach
aka coachster

Once you secure a ride, it's also good to establish some etiquette like bringing spare clothes and boots/shoes to change into post game. Personally, I dislike anyone who jumps into my vehicle wearing the same dirty clothes and boots they just played in. It's not your car, keep it clean or walk. Also, personal preference, I don't like rolling with people dressed in full camo. Though camo pants with civi tops or jacket is fine.

Being ready for your ride before they show up is essential. For people I know, they get a courtesy call from me when I leave my place or 5-10 minutes out and a call when I get there, or they get a call in front of their house and I plan to sit for 5-10 minutes while drinking my coffee. After that, they get a call telling them I'm leaving. For people I don't know, I give them the exact same, and will leave if they aren't ready. You wouldn't believe how many times I've gone to pick someone up and they are still sleeping or haven't finished packing their gear. I've even had some where they weren't even home. Remember, for early morning games, drivers have to wake up earlier than you plus have to stay awake to get you home then get themselves home. Respect their times by being on time.

If you smoke, and the driver doesn't, expect to not smoke in their car and expect them not to stop for a smoke break. I know some people who can't go 20 minutes without a smoke and have driven them on 3-5 hour drives straight. Brutal for them. Fun for me to watch them jonesing! (I'm not that mean but will go long enough to torture them a bit) E-cigs are an option here.

Packing some jerky or other kinds of snacks to share are always welcome.

I am waiting for the day when I go to pick someone up, to have them waiting with a Starbucks Grande Americano in their hand.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 11:04   #8
Curo
Cobalt Caliber

Seriously the gas part makes sense. I often drive people to games. to help ease the burden of a long solo drive. offer gas money or coffee or something. No one has to drive you too games. So thank the person for doing you a favour.
Curo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 11:19   #9
Armyissue
Administrator of Pants

Send a message via MSN to Armyissue Send a message via Skype™ to Armyissue
Quote:
Originally Posted by coach View Post
If you smoke, and the driver doesn't, expect to not smoke in their car and expect them not to stop for a smoke break.
Similarly if the driver has a piece of shit old truck, bone up on your mechanical skills, it is greatly appreciated and does not go unnoticed.
Armyissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 11:28   #10
Reaper87

Definitely offer gas money. I drove a friend six hours to a 24 hour game and he did not even offer to help pay for gas. We stopped at timmies nothing. He does not ever get a ride with me ever again. Not even to the local field that is 15 mins away.
Reaper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 11:56   #11
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyissue View Post
Similarly if the driver has a piece of shit old truck, bone up on your mechanical skills, it is greatly appreciated and does not go unnoticed.
Hey, those old trucks like yours are somewhat simple to work on. But hey, I know your mechanic is in tow for games you attend so I wouldn't have to worry about lifting a finger. But if you blew a flat or something, I have polished up on my supervisor skills that I could stand over and tell you what to do.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 12:31   #12
Basic-Wedge

I prefer to travel with a passenger; it helps to make airsoft more of a social activity. Having said that, there are certain protocols one should follow if catching a ride: offer to pay for gas, be sure to pack light, and be ready to go!

We have one local player who's always in need of a ride, but he'll never get another one from me. He never offered to help pay for gas or even buy a measly cup of coffee, he always kept me waiting while he ran around his house looking for some loose odds and ends, and, worst of all, he packs every bit of gear he owns into several large, rigid packing cases, which hogged every bit of available space in the car.

That kind of passenger we can all live without (and I hope he reads this, so he can get a clue as to why he's always left begging for a ride).

Basic-Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 12:47   #13
Gato
ASC's Whiny Bitch

Carpooling to airsoft has enabled me to meet some pretty cool people

It's fairly common simply because not all people have cars, it saves money on costs and is less boring.
Certified Level 3.1415926 Sniper Certified
Certified Level 3.1415926 Orbital Weapons platform Certified
Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 14:04   #14
Devious Sinner

be nice to the driver and make friends =]
getting close to other members and expand your friends list obviously is beneficial
get a ride once, get on their good side and who knows...you might just meet your brother from another mother.
Old November 10th, 2012, 14:50   #15
phloudernow

Send a message via MSN to phloudernow Send a message via Skype™ to phloudernow
I get a lift from friends to go to games, since I'm originally from vancouver and I'm studying university in toronto, parents wouldn't let me get a car here so basically whenever i go to big games i have to get a ride from someone.

its pretty common!!
Custom SAI BLU Glock Build (Timberwolf Base)
Custom Zev Noveske Shooting Team Glock 34
Project Guns
Custom Zev Dragonfly G17 (Project) (In progress)
phloudernow is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank