Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 20:23   #2
Stealthee
a.k.a. cloaked

Interesting.
Stealthee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 20:34   #3
Padkiller

Yep, there's a certain distance you have to have to shoot, but I guess it depends on you!
Old January 10th, 2012, 20:48   #4
Cpt- Lovegrove

that was realy interesting, i guess i need to add a knife (training) to my loadout
Cpt- Lovegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 20:58   #5
m102404
Tys

Someone like Brian M or Sierra Zulu (don't think he's on here any more) could be more explicit....

But the times we "tested" this out....I wouldn't want to be within 35' from a 200+lbs angry guy with a sword. From standing, gun holstered/sword at side...if he takes off running with intent to cleave you in two, you're in for a world of hurt if you're sub- that distance. And at that distance you've barely got time to go left/right and get far enough away to even consider doing something.

Sure knives are smaller and all that...but still, not a nice thing. And we were "cheating" because we knew what was going to happen.

Sub 30' was horrifying....and a sword slash covers a HUGE area

Have a buddy try it out with you....just use a towel or something. The distance you need to react-move is surprisingly far when someone's running at you.

When they say, "Get of the X"...even a big sidestep first thing results in way more room/time than standing your ground and trying to draw whatever you've got.

Last edited by m102404; January 10th, 2012 at 21:02..
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 21:01   #6
BlackBerry

Had the pleasure of participating in a self defense knife course headed by former ETF Sgt. Tom Sharkey.

After several exercises, we were all pretty much astonished to recognize just how fast the distance a knife weilding offender can cover within a matter of seconds.

Even at 21ft. it was very possible to get "tagged" several times before being able to draw a firearm.
BlackBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 21:22   #7
Deaf_shooter

not mention fact that knife wielder can calm walk to get close without alert police before strike. good example is first encounter between black police and Martial Arts person when martial decide to give wallet before throw and stab him
Old January 10th, 2012, 21:23   #8
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackthorne
At those distances you are better off closing the distance and going hands on. You are gonna get cut, but then you always do in a knife fight.
Old January 10th, 2012, 21:27   #9
Deaf_shooter

I can't remember who said this, but this person said that people fear knife more than gun. forget about fisting fight. you need to be very talented in martial arts to able to disable knife.

way I see video, your better chance is keep distance and don't allow other person approach
Old January 10th, 2012, 21:32   #10
Padkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf_shooter View Post
I can't remember who said this, but this person said that people fear knife more than gun. forget about fisting fight. you need to be very talented in martial arts to able to disable knife.

way I see video, your better chance is keep distance and don't allow other person approach
Which could be hard for most law enforcement or police officers, as they get closer to see better or to inspect something!
Old January 10th, 2012, 21:53   #11
Coresair

Strangely, you are posting this and a SPVM officer got slashed in the face at Bonaventure station here in Montreal just earlier this week.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/actualites...-iranienne.php

a knife never jams, never runs out of ammo. People should stop underestimating this. I practised Yoseikan style Aïkido for almost 4 years and even then, I will always be scared shitless of a knife wielding attacker.

Keep your distances or just run.
Coresair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 22:49   #12
Eeyore
Suburban Gun Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coresair View Post
Strangely, you are posting this and a SPVM officer got slashed in the face at Bonaventure station here in Montreal just earlier this week.

a knife never jams, never runs out of ammo. People should stop underestimating this. I practised Yoseikan style Aïkido for almost 4 years and even then, I will always be scared shitless of a knife wielding attacker.

Posted because my friend is one of the officers on scene. His link.
http://i.imgur.com/wBfBB.gif
Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 22:56   #13
Pinard
formerly Contractor 6-8, CptPinard17eRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coresair View Post

Yeah... being knifed is one of my worse fear.. you can't do shit against that at close range and the first thing you will go is your sidearm.. wich is the very least thing you want! better go to hands and try to get some distance after dodging the knife and then shoot him dead.
Old January 10th, 2012, 23:47   #14
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

This is not martial arts BS it is PROVEN FACT that at a "conversational" distance a knife is far more deadly than a gun..

Practically all self defense situations commence at "Conversational" range for North Americans .. this distance is just shy of the length of your arm.

in this range a gun is of no use if it is not already out and pointed.

Hand to hand skill is far more important for self defense than a firearm.. if you are not a drug dealer.

my EDC self defense tool is 1st my brain, 2nd my knife
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 00:49   #15
viking9934

humans have killed one another just fine for thousands of years before firearms were even an idea only with Flint and improvized weapon.

Knife attack even for a well trained person with the adequate mindset is always the worst scenario. Most of the time the attack is made without warning , by surprise.
When i was trainning krav maga our instructor always tell us two thing.
first you don't win a knives fight..you survive a knive fight.
Second , remember you have a WILL get cut the only thing you can make is at least choose the less dangerous place to get cut.

I have see one of my friend been stab one time and i can tell you that they'r nothing worst , than seeing the fear and horor in the face of the victim of the asssault!

Always be ready! and stay out of trouble(if possible..if impossible refer to first advice , be ready for anything even in our peacefull society)

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Tactics, Techniques and Procedures