Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > Name this Continent... ASIA!
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Real Sword KBU-97 Sniper Rifle, and many more

:

Name this Continent... ASIA!

Old June 16th, 2012, 21:41   #16
Cifyra
Iskaryot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracketman View Post
I own a KBU-97A (Type 97A 5.56mm Sniper Rifle, QBU-88 export version). The scope was what made the shipment into the country take a few extra months (as in five) as they had to track some down, on top of the PLA's priority over exports for QBU-88's. PLA & law enforcement in China are now adopting a new mount for the QBU-88, but at present, they have no interest in selling to foreigners. Due to the lack of scopes in service, China is now purchasing a few Khales and S&B's to go along with the new mount, but primarily for police use.

Regardless, airsoft is of the lowest concern for Norinco -- especially for a gun still being produced (QBU-88) -- so unless they start selling a special scope mount (which is actually my interest), then I don't think we'll see the airsoft version of the KBU-97A come into full-scale production.

The SVD PSO-1 4x scope made by Real Sword will not fit onto the QBU-88/KBU-97A, as they are completely different mounting devices. The other problem is they sell that scope for $250USD. Thus, the Type 88's FFP illuminated 3-9 x 40 would be (approx.) $500, and would jack the price of the unit up considerably.

I often wonder when Real Sword brings the KBU-97A to the trade shows if it is in fact an airsoft gun, or a real gun. After four years, no one has seen the internals yet.. not even the magazine out of the gun...
Well, Real Sword can either find out what kind of mount the PLA use and make their own copy of it, or they can make a copy of the QBU-88 scope, which they have done already with the SVD. Personally if they released it without any scopes I would still be happy using the iron sights, although I doubt many airsofters would share my view.
Old June 17th, 2012, 13:49   #17
Cifyra
Iskaryot

Quote:
I own a KBU-97A (Type 97A 5.56mm Sniper Rifle, QBU-88 export version). The scope was what made the shipment into the country take a few extra months (as in five) as they had to track some down, on top of the PLA's priority over exports for QBU-88's. PLA & law enforcement in China are now adopting a new mount for the QBU-88, but at present, they have no interest in selling to foreigners. Due to the lack of scopes in service, China is now purchasing a few Khales and S&B's to go along with the new mount, but primarily for police use.

Regardless, airsoft is of the lowest concern for Norinco -- especially for a gun still being produced (QBU-88) -- so unless they start selling a special scope mount (which is actually my interest), then I don't think we'll see the airsoft version of the KBU-97A come into full-scale production.

The SVD PSO-1 4x scope made by Real Sword will not fit onto the QBU-88/KBU-97A, as they are completely different mounting devices. The other problem is they sell that scope for $250USD. Thus, the Type 88's FFP illuminated 3-9 x 40 would be (approx.) $500, and would jack the price of the unit up considerably.

I often wonder when Real Sword brings the KBU-97A to the trade shows if it is in fact an airsoft gun, or a real gun. After four years, no one has seen the internals yet.. not even the magazine out of the gun...
Say, can the KBU97A take STANAG mags?
Old June 17th, 2012, 15:09   #18
Short Round
Najohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cifyra View Post
Say, can the KBU97A take STANAG mags?
The QBU-88 is also available in 5.56x45mm for export sales as the KBU-97A.
Old June 17th, 2012, 15:23   #19
Cifyra
Iskaryot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Najohn View Post
The QBU-88 is also available in 5.56x45mm for export sales as the KBU-97A.
I know that, but some guy said KBU-97A can't take Stanag mags and wikipedia is wrong. I just want to ask someone who actually has a KBU97A to verify.
Old June 17th, 2012, 20:52   #20
Bracketman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cifyra View Post
I know that, but some guy said KBU-97A can't take Stanag mags and wikipedia is wrong. I just want to ask someone who actually has a KBU97A to verify.
You're quoting me from Gun Nutz forum, and the person that quoted the Wikipedia article retracted his/her statement. However, the actual argument was about the KBU-97A being part of the (in limbo/prohibited) Type 97's -- of which the QBU-88/KBU-97A are built from the ground up as precision, semi-automatic rifles -- without any being produced in select-fire operation.

Yes, the Wikipedia article was wrong -- KBU-97A cannot take Stanag magazines unless heavily modified. I fixed the article some time back. Someone else wrote on Wiki that the QBU-88 magazines are different from the KBU-97A's, however, I cannot confirm this.

Like the Stanag's, LAR-15's won't work either.
Bracketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 21:01   #21
Cifyra
Iskaryot

Quote:
You're quoting me from Gun Nutz forum, and the person that quoted the Wikipedia article retracted his/her statement. However, the actual argument was about the KBU-97A being part of the (in limbo/prohibited) Type 97's -- of which the QBU-88/KBU-97A are built from the ground up as precision, semi-automatic rifles -- without any being produced in select-fire operation.

Yes, the Wikipedia article was wrong -- KBU-97A cannot take Stanag magazines unless heavily modified. I fixed the article some time back. Someone else wrote on Wiki that the QBU-88 magazines are different from the KBU-97A's, however, I cannot confirm this.

Like the Stanag's, LAR-15's won't work either.
That sucks but I still want one
Old June 18th, 2012, 22:14   #22
Short Round
Najohn

http://www.tacticalimports.ca/type-88-sniper-p-4.html

The rifle is originally chambered for the proprietary 5.8x42mm ammunition, however the KBU-97A export model is chambered in the more standard 5.56 and optimized for heavy weight bullets with a 1in8 twist barrel.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > Name this Continent... ASIA!