Systema PTW Basic Info and FAQ

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old August 26th, 2013, 12:10   #241
SuperHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
Um....pretty sure you can't copyright a mod lol
And even if you did, all you need to do is use a slightly different material and you're legally protected.
Is the "mcguyver" mod the same as the KDM AHUS that uses Marui rubbers with AEG barrels?

Last edited by SuperHog; August 26th, 2013 at 12:23..
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 14:11   #242
mcguyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHog View Post
Is the "mcguyver" mod the same as the KDM AHUS that uses Marui rubbers with AEG barrels?
No.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 14:27   #243
SuperHog

Sorry, I am new to the PTW and not familiar with yours but there many threads on the Tackleberry's mod. I would rather stay with the PTW hop if your mod is better.

I am deciding between the 2013 PTW or spending even more $$$ for a FCC, and have a lot of unanswered questions. I have been told that PTW motors are expensive and have a high failure rate and the hop is inconsistent also.

So your mod still uses the PTW hop? Does it also work on a FCC?

If I buy either a 2013 PTW or FCC, can I do the mod or you have to do it for me? Can't find any info on your mod.

I am also trying to confirm if the 2013 PTW comes with the 490 motor or the 7511 motor.

Last edited by SuperHog; August 26th, 2013 at 15:11..
Old August 26th, 2013, 16:20   #244
mcguyver

Quote:
Sorry, I am new to the PTW and not familiar with yours but there many threads on the Tackleberry's mod. I would rather stay with the PTW hop if your mod is better.
There are very few guys in Canada that have a hopup done by Tony himself. Nearly all of them weer done by me or DTT.

Quote:
I am deciding between the 2013 PTW or spending even more $$$ for a FCC, and have a lot of unanswered questions. I have been told that PTW motors are expensive and have a high failure rate and the hop is inconsistent also.
Hopup on a 2012 was better than previous years. But a mod takes care of that, and is the best money you can ever spend of a PTW performance-wise.

The motors need work. I just send them to England and have the armatures rewound, it is about $200/motor once you factor in shipping, new brushes, etc.

Quote:
So your mod still uses the PTW hop?
Yes.

Quote:
Does it also work on a FCC?
Yes, but unfortunately I need to replace the FCC spring with Systema adjuster cushions. Those are a little hard to come by at the moment and I have no spares.

Quote:
If I buy either a 2013 PTW or FCC, can I do the mod or you have to do it for me? Can't find any info on your mod.
The mod is a bit of a trade secret. I won't share it, nor does Tack. It is something that one with technical skill could reverse-engineer, but then you need to source the material in the correct dimensions, order alot of it, and and soend a bunch of time doing. It would be worth it if you were doing lots of them, but for doing your own, totally not worth it.

Quote:
I am also trying to confirm if the 2013 PTW comes with the 490 motor or the 7511 motor.
I would suspect it is a newer version than the 490.

Old August 26th, 2013, 16:29   #245
SuperHog

How much do you charge for hop mod?

Can you do the armature repair here in Canada?

Last edited by SuperHog; August 26th, 2013 at 16:36..
Old August 26th, 2013, 19:08   #246
wildcard

Send a message via MSN to wildcard Send a message via Yahoo to wildcard
Quote:

So your mod still uses the PTW hop? Does it also work on a FCC?

Tony's (tackleberry) Hop is the same as Mcguyvers, the 2012-2013 comes with 7511 & 7512 motors and the HOP is slightly better than previous series, unfortunately there has been a slew of broken motors from these 75 series coming from the factory (see my video). You can either send your motor to Tony in England or get the new 3.0 motor from FCC. If You can find a Tack 490 motor that would even be better but I'm not sure how well it will perform with LiPo.
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 19:11   #247
SuperHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard View Post
Tony's (tackleberry) Hop is the same as Mcguyvers, the 2012-2013 comes with 7511 & 7512 motors and the HOP is slightly better than previous series, unfortunately there has been a slew of broken motors from these 75 series coming from the factory (see my video). You can either send your motor to Tony in England or get the new 3.0 motor from FCC. If You can find a Tack 490 motor that would even be better but I'm not sure how well it will perform with LiPo.
NiMH is fine. I already killed a few Lipos because of non Lipo cut off feature from my MOSFET boards. Unless Systema or FCC has this feature, I will stay with NiMH.

The 3.0 FCC motor is tempting.
Old August 26th, 2013, 19:29   #248
mcguyver

Quote:
How much do you charge for hop mod?

Can you do the armature repair here in Canada?
I used to do the soldering of the comm joints and true the comm on a lathe, but I do none of those anymore. Sold my equipment years ago.

I no longer do the hopup mod commercially. I have no desire to get into that again, it wasn't worth the amount of time I had to give up.

I may do it again in the future, but don't hold your breath.

It is difficult to get enough material to replace the silicone 2012 adjuster cushions and the FCC spring with rubber cushions. I am having some material custom made as we speak, but it is going to be weeks away. And I am not certain on the performance until after I try it. Which will be even more weeks away.

I just want to play airsoft, and not have it become this all-consuming life of PTW repairs and mods and years gone before I realized where they went.

Now, if some manufacturers could actually produce a decent hopup, then I wouldn't need to worry about it. Lots have tried, nobody has got it yet.

Old August 26th, 2013, 20:33   #249
SuperHog

What is actually failing on these motors? Are the windings burning out or the motor is throwing the winds out?

My AEG motors only wear out over time from hard use or burn out from over loading.

Also if no one got the hop to work but you with your mod, you should consider manufacturing it. It could change your life financially.

Last edited by SuperHog; August 26th, 2013 at 20:36..
Old August 26th, 2013, 20:54   #250
mcguyver

Quote:
What is actually failing on these motors? Are the windings burning out or the motor is throwing the winds out?
The problems are several, windings, poor comm/pole joints, untrue comms.

Quote:
Also if no one got the hop to work but you with your mod, you should consider manufacturing it. It could change your life financially.
I think you are overstating the proliferation of PTWs in Canada that do not have modified hopups. Most of them do already. Also, this is not really a mass market DIY item, each one is fit to the barrel. There are alot of barrel maufacturers out there and they are not all the same, and the barrel needs to be modified as well.

I am not interested in doing it commercially, you would not get rich doing it by any means, and I make more at my regular job than I ever could working on PTWs, or even being a retailer.

Airsoft in Canada makes nobody wealthy, only poor.

Old August 26th, 2013, 21:04   #251
SuperHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post

I think you are overstating the proliferation of PTWs in Canada that do not have modified hopups. Most of them do already. Also, this is not really a mass market DIY item, each one is fit to the barrel. There are alot of barrel maufacturers out there and they are not all the same, and the barrel needs to be modified as well.
I doubt the 2013 Systema PTW will have a factory hop mod.

Pretty sure for a reasonable price, a custom drop-in "mcguyver" hop with barrel, those new customers for the 2013 would buy it.

That is new business onward. Extra change in your pocket plus your regular job.

Last edited by SuperHog; August 26th, 2013 at 21:07..
Old August 26th, 2013, 21:13   #252
mcguyver

Quote:
I doubt the 2013 Systema PTW will have a factory hop mod.

Pretty sure for a reasonable price, a custom drop-in "mcguyver" hop with barrel, those new customers for the 2013 would buy it.

That is new business onward. Extra change in your pocket plus your regular job.
If I can not be putting $60 cash per hour into my pocket, it is not worth my time. There is not that kind of margin.

The 2012 hopup was pretty good. With a better cushion, it would have been better.

We'll see what the new ones have. It is not exactly rocket science, any company that wanted to could have reverse engineered a modified hopup ages ago. Instead, they tried to reinvent the wheel and ended up with blocks.

Old August 26th, 2013, 21:19   #253
Strelok

Whats the cost to put FCC internals into a DTW? Might purchase one to build on...
Strelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 21:36   #254
SuperHog

Just out of curiosity, what are the differences between the DTW, CTW and A&K PTW?

Last edited by SuperHog; August 26th, 2013 at 22:29..
Old August 27th, 2013, 01:16   #255
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

I heard a rumor some dude is moving to calgary and might start repairing PTW motors locally =O
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion