Daiviet
Captain Sunshine

PDI makes one that will work for a 4.3
http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwol...l?prodID=22477
Daiviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 19:10   #32
m102404
Tys

Their 5.1 sets will work as well...but you have swap the barrel and cut the recoil guide.
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 20:55   #33
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiviet View Post
PDI makes one that will work for a 4.3
http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwol...l?prodID=22477
Again, that mounts to the inner barrel, not the outer barrel. He needs a direct-outer barrel mounted compensator for the solution to work. Otherwise nothing will happen, since the inner barrel can't be pulled forward, and even if it could be pulled forward, it would be moving separately from the outer barrel. He's looking for a solution to pull the outer barrel forward.

jaoquinz, if your budget can open up a little bit, I can actually get you a high quality custom built one-piece steel outer barrel/chamber & aluminum compensator set. Please fill out your profile so I know where you're located and can get you a price quote accordingly. Keep in mind, this is not a cheap solution and is actually one of the most expensive solutions...

Last edited by ILLusion; January 7th, 2009 at 21:03..
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 22:08   #34
jaoquinz

Hi guys,

Well I spent about 3 hours affixing a piece of nylon strip along the edge of the damaged area and epoxied it carefully then sanding it down to the right profile. A bit like car metalwork with bondo. When I was satisfied with that I reassembled the slide, racked it once and POP the new addition piece snapped off. Haha there goes one idea.

So still in the market for a compensator. I tried to see if the threads on the muzzle end of Creation outer barrel works, and I screwed the SD chamber onto it, and it works. So I'm wonder if the thread size on SD compensators are the same as their chambers. If so that means most SD compensators would attach onto the Creation outer barrel.

Also, I was wondering how a compensator is attached and how it sits when it is attached. I'm asking this because the outer barrel comes out of the front end of the slide by about 2mms, and I'm wondering if a compwould sit flush with the slide when attached. Because if it doesn't, then it defeats the purpose for me wanting it to be another impact point to bring the chamber up to battery. Anyone knows this?
jaoquinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 23:00   #35
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaoquinz View Post
Also, I was wondering how a compensator is attached and how it sits when it is attached. I'm asking this because the outer barrel comes out of the front end of the slide by about 2mms, and I'm wondering if a compwould sit flush with the slide when attached. Because if it doesn't, then it defeats the purpose for me wanting it to be another impact point to bring the chamber up to battery. Anyone knows this?
Many airsoft compensator sets mount like real steel, which means you'd need a special outer barrel with threads on the outside of the muzzle. The compensator is then affixed to the muzzle of the outer barrel. Typically, it's attached by threads and affixed with a grub screw. The face of the compensator that the outer barrel mounts in to will also be sunk, so that the compensator will end up sitting flush against the slide. This is why I suggested this method.
Old January 8th, 2009, 01:40   #36
jaoquinz

Gotcha. Which means in order to use the SD compensators I would need to get the SD comp barrel set as well? Goodness thats already the price of a new slide...might as well get a new slide isn't it?

Would an SD comp screw into the threads of the muzzle on the Creation outer barrel? The diameter is the same as the SD chamber threads where the outer barrels screws into. Can anyone confirm is SD compensator threads are the same diameter as their chambers?
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:38   #37
jaoquinz

Well I did what simonyha did and it worked. Stuck a couple of layers of tape around the muzzle end of the barrel to mimick a comp and it worked flawlessly. For about half a mag before the tape flew off.. The amount of force at work is amazing. Seems like I'm gonna get a compensator after all. Another question.. would a comp be pushed forward slowly like how the tape did? Or would the SD comp barrel be a solid piece of engineering? I'm looking at a new comp barrel by PDI as well..

Irregardless thanks guys for the help!

So far I've learnt that damage on the slide from the steel chamber is inevitable and that the only way to minimise that is to minimise the impact on the rear lugs on the slide chamber breach. I screwed mine up extra fast with the incompatible chamber. The hi-capa slide impact point seems so minimal compared to the ones on the P226. Would the "beefier" slide be a better investment? I'm thinking a new slide or a new comp with the comp barrel would be about the same amount of money to spend. Which would be a better option?
Old January 8th, 2009, 16:07   #38
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Gotcha. Which means in order to use the SD compensators I would need to get the SD comp barrel set as well? Goodness thats already the price of a new slide...might as well get a new slide isn't it?
Yes, SD comp barrel is required. I believe the part number is GSM934 or GSM935 (difference is in markings on chamber.)

Quote:
Would an SD comp screw into the threads of the muzzle on the Creation outer barrel? The diameter is the same as the SD chamber threads where the outer barrels screws into. Can anyone confirm is SD compensator threads are the same diameter as their chambers?
I don't have an SD compensator on hand. You'll have to go to a shop to try it out (if they let you.)

UNCompany has some of the new compensators in stock.
Old January 12th, 2009, 13:22   #39
jaoquinz

Well I tried everything from forming a new lug 3B from epoxy, but it snapped off after 2 shots. Tempted to use some quiksteel instead, but that would be a last resort.

Looking up and down for compensators to fit, and there are no other option other than to have one custom made from ProG4 which is out of my budget. So after consulting Madmax and Illusion, decided to try "machining" a flange at the muzzle end of the outer barrel to pull the outer chamber into battery when the slide snaps forward.

Searching online for what to use as a flange, I couldn't find something suitable that could easily be bought off the streets. Then, my gf mentioned something about my rings, I realised, holy sh*t, a ring! Immediately I grabbed my outer barrel and tried to fit my ring into the outer barrel. It wasn't the right size, but I got the solution.

I marked a line on the outer barrel where the correct amount of protrusion from the slide should be so I know the right width for the ring to use. Then I brought my barrel to a street market that sells cheap jewelry, and found a size 16 silver ring. It was a snug fit, and I didn't want too tight a fit that I couldn't put epoxy in between.

There were steel jewelry as well, but I was afraid that that would into my aluminium slide's muzzle opening like the steel chamber did, so I'll leave that as a last option.

So I went home proceeded to file a groove on the muzzle's edge, and sanded the inside of the silver ring to roughen up the surfaces to be bonded. Then I mixed up some 2 part epoxy, and placed a strip of it in the groove I made in the outer barrel. Then I slid the ring over the muzzle's end, and gently hammered it in with a rubber mallet, as silver is pretty malleable.

After 15 minutes when the epoxy had cured, I chambered the edges of the ring with sandpaper, buffed both barrel and ring with a emery board.

Now I have bling on my hi-capa 4.3, and it works. Pulls the chamber into battery, and the silver doesn't eat into the slide as steel would. I cut the KA 150% recoil spring by 3 coils just to be safe, as I think that was probably a contributing factor to the destruction of my slide.

Here's some pics.

Wonder how long that would last.

Last edited by jaoquinz; January 12th, 2009 at 22:26..
Old January 12th, 2009, 13:36   #40
MadMax
Delierious Designer of Dastardly Detonations

Location: in the dark recesses of some metal chip filled machine shop
Very good!

I like your ingenuity and determination in getting your gun working right.

Unfortunately I think silver is too soft. Your ring may not last very long with repeated slide impacts. It might make sense to find a thin oring to put against the back of the ring to soften the hits. Even if the oring slowly dies, it's cheap and easy to replace.

MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 13:50   #41
jaoquinz

Hi Madmax!

Thanks for dropping by!

Well I figured that silver was a little too soft, but it was either silver or steel rings. What would be the best? Alumnium I suppose? How did your setup go?

An o-ring might be a little thick, but I'll try it first. Might stick a tiny strip of foam behind the ring to see how that works out.

I'll report back on the deformation of the ring when it happens.
Old January 12th, 2009, 14:19   #42
m102404
Tys

Dude...

Got to applaud the time, determination and resiliency that you've shown fixing your pistol.

I'm very interested to see how long it lasts.

If the fit is fine enough between the ring and outer barrel...perhaps soldering the joint would fix it permanently (might disfigure the metal though).

If you're in the building mood...make a compensator out of aluminum stock, drill and tap a hole through it to fix it onto the outer barrel. I know it's easier said than done...but you've shown skill so far! LOL
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 15:02   #43
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Good job. Glad to see you finally found a working solution. Keep us updated on the survivability of the modification.
Old January 12th, 2009, 15:15   #44
Shirley
A-56 aka Mr.Hitman

Sweet, you got the brains and talent! Maybe you might succeed in your invention. :P

CANADIAN AIRSOFT PRACTICAL SHOOTING (CAPS)
CAPS DIRECTOR # 0047
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 22:25   #45
jaoquinz

Thanks guys! Couldn't have done it without your help.

Well I know a compensator would have been a cleaner and more aesthetically pleasing option, but there were no on-the-shelf solutions for the 4.3 with a comp-ready barrel. I'm sure when one does hit the shelves with an affordable price that I'll be grabbing one.

Well Day 1 so far. Left it alone overnight now and fired half a mag this morning (must have scared the shit out of my neighbors) and checked the ring. The epoxy held on, and there's slight rubbing of the anodising on the muzzle end of the slide where it impacted the ring, but nothing to worry about as the silver is pretty soft. Ring's shape is holding up, and I'm thinking that soon it'll mate with the slide.

Maybe someone can make a fuller tapered bull barrel with the wider muzzle diameter than the slide muzzle opening so that the entire chamber assembly is pulled forward into battery. That would be the ideal solution wouldn't it? No damage on the slide at all.

On a side note, anyone know if I can still use a comp that attaches to the inner barrel? With the extra 1mm in diameter, would it fit flush into the opening of the comp?
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner