Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Is it Illegal for a Minor to POSSESS an Airsoft Gun in Canada?

:

General

Closed Thread

Old January 7th, 2008, 00:17   #121
The Saint

Is your first language French? Honestly, it's ok if you're not actually a native English speaker, because the only other explanation is that you're trying to kill my brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCC
"replica firearm"
«réplique »

"replica firearm" means any device that is designed or intended to exactly resemble, or to resemble with near precision, a firearm, and that itself is not a firearm,[<----note the comma] but does not include any such device that is designed or intended to exactly resemble, or to resemble with near precision, an antique firearm;
Old January 7th, 2008, 00:20   #122
Corbin

[/Quote]Originally Posted by CCC
"replica firearm"
«réplique »

"replica firearm" means any device that is designed or intended to exactly resemble, or to resemble with near precision, a firearm, and that itself is not a firearm, but does not include any such device that is designed or intended to exactly resemble, or to resemble with near precision, an antique firearm;[\Quote]
Old January 7th, 2008, 00:20   #123
Sergeantmajor

fuck...so many comma's....always made sense to me though...guess i read only what i wanted...
Old January 7th, 2008, 00:21   #124
Ronan
Official Crybaby Chairsofter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeantmajor View Post
fuck...so many comma's....always made sense to me though...guess i read only what i wanted...
Old January 7th, 2008, 00:21   #125
Corbin

submitted too late plus my quotes screwed up....
Old January 7th, 2008, 00:58   #126
Rumpel Felt

Send a message via MSN to Rumpel Felt
I say we bomb H&K, Colt, STI, Beretta, Glock, SiG, etc. effectively destroying their means of producing anymore of the sexy guns most heavily present in airsoft that we find so atrractive.

Thus making all guns made by said bombed companies antiques and totally legal for us to have replicas of!
Old January 7th, 2008, 01:01   #127
Ronan
Official Crybaby Chairsofter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpel Felt View Post
I say we bomb H&K, Colt, STI, Beretta, Glock, SiG, etc. effectively destroying their means of producing anymore of the sexy guns most heavily present in airsoft that we find so atrractive.

Thus making all guns made by said bombed companies antiques and totally legal for us to have replicas of!
lol! :smack:
Old January 7th, 2008, 01:04   #128
Sergeantmajor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpel Felt View Post

true, but antiques are dated pre-1900 or something. but no longer in production doesnt make it an antique
Old January 7th, 2008, 01:10   #129
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeantmajor View Post
alright...wipe your eyes, i think your vision is shitty

reread the paragraph, theres only one period in that sentence, lots of comma's but only one period.

all along the paragraph it describes what they mean by replica, they mentioned in the middle that it replicated a firearm, at the end of the paragraph it stated that the devices that were prohibited were those which replicate AN ANTIQUE FIREARM.

wrong.... it says that replicas of antique firearms are not prohibited devices...

Try reading it in french.. maybe it will make more sense to you
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Old January 7th, 2008, 01:16   #130
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post
The problem is the amount I get hassled by certain users to mute a minor, either through reported posts or through personal messaging.
well I don't think it is your job to ban users for asking questions... Neither is it the forum's job to enforce the law.

It is underage players parents jobs to supervise their kids when they are using airsoft guns...not yours... or anyone elses..
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Old January 7th, 2008, 06:26   #131
Greylocks

Illusion, from 2 pages ago. I dont remember the exact court case; it was either Kuramae or a guy caught in a drug sting who also happened to have airsoft.

So since I dont remember which was which, all that stuck in my mind was that part of the charge mentioned Replicas. Wether that is the right thing to do or not, that's what the legal charge was.

So, in my book, if they use that as a charge and leave it up to you to argue with a Judge... I'll use at least the Replica laws as a guideline when I make comments.

I too will do that until something else comes along to change my mind. Why? Because since the enforcement people seem to bring up Replica or Prohibited Devices when they charge someone about airsoft, then it only makes sense to use their standards.

Who can have a Replica or Prohibited item in their possession is crystal clear. Getting them is another discussion because nobody here should be able to do that.

Minors getting guns:
IF your parents bought one for you, IF you only use it under their supervision, IF you only use it at authorized places, IF you DONT own it or access it when the parents are not present, then OK.
How many minors do all of the above?

Last edited by Greylocks; January 7th, 2008 at 06:34..
Old January 7th, 2008, 06:37   #132
ex
Wanna buy some Nod's? #StolenValour

http://www.citt.gc.ca/appeals/decision/ap2g012_e.asp
Old January 7th, 2008, 06:55   #133
Greylocks

Thank you Ex-Royal.
Since the legal charge used the text below, I will continue to follow those rules.

6. Subsection 84(1) of the Criminal Code5 provides that a “prohibited device” includes, among other things, a replica firearm, which is defined as follows:

“replica firearm” means any device that is designed or intended to exactly resemble, or to resemble with near precision, a firearm, and that itself is not a firearm, but does not include any such device that is designed or intended to exactly resemble, or to resemble with near precision, an antique firearm;

So, Replica = Prohibited Device. That is extremely clear. Does not resolve our use of them but sure as hell resolves wether minors can possess them.
Old January 7th, 2008, 08:52   #134
Hypnos

Why can we all just get along????

So I can see Illusion’s side of the story. He does not want to become an air soft commie by pushing rule/ law in this website that is not pushed in the firearms act. When he wants proof, he wants federal proof, and no one can show, “Regulation 54, Act 7, Paragraph 22, Line 13; Airsoft is illegal for those under 18 years of age” So because it is not a law being pushed by this free country we call Canada, he will no become a dictator and push it on the web site.

That being said, it is a pretty close fact (though I have not been able to find any newspaper clippings to uphold this fact) that every time airsoft goes to court, it is categorized as a replica, and replicas are illegal for those under 18. I don’t care how a replica is defined or the question of if airsoft is replica, all I care about is when the time comes that airsoft goes to court, it goes to court as a replica and you will be charged under replica law.

So though airsoft is not “illegal”, and by rights we cannot push that you have to be 18 to own one, we can as adults realize that if we do something stupid, we will be charged under the replica act. Most underage people cannot or will not think about this because of two reasons, 1) They are kids and really don’t know about the law yet, and 2) They are kids so what could the law do to them? That is why you should be 18 or older, because with adulthood comes responsibility and punishment as an adult.

Underage people that come to this web sight asking where to buy an airsoft gun, and get told you are under age you can’t, but then don’t listen really have no right to get info from us. If that underage person keeps pushing the fact and says “well fine, I will smuggle it in from the states”, really should not be getting any ideas from our threads. If that underage person that keeps pushing cannot spell worth crap, really shows the point that if they cannot spell, cannot read big words like legislation and prohibited, and should not own a gun that is in the grey area of law where many of these big words are.

That said, I do believe that if an underage person show respect that they should in order to own an airsoft gun they show maturity to gain the info we can provide to them. It is all a question of maturity. If an underage person ask “look I read the FAQ and have some questions you can clear up,” that shows that kid has the brains and the level of maturity that goes with maybe not owning, but at least participating in this gray area.

This web site is for information for those who are of age and those who are underage. I don’t agree with the burn that was shown in the last case of an underage kid that wanted a weapon, but I could see the frustration behind the acts. There was a kid that would just not listen to anything at all and wanted nothing more than some inside info on how to get access to a gun, even illegally. With a determined kid like that, it scares me to think that there was nothing more than anger behind his level of thought, and that leads to nothing but trouble if and when he gets his hands on the gun. In a case like that, it should be his mother asking the questions, since after all as per what the kid said, she would reimburse him for the purchase. As it is right now it should be the parent looking after her own child and it shows in this case the mother is not willing to understand what airsoft is and that crap leads to trouble.

Right now we really still have not come any closer to ending this debate. What we need is some info. What we need to do is show the powers that be that we are mature enough to go slightly above the grey area in law to protect our freedoms we have right now, only because we want to stay in a grey area of law. Without a little more protection we will no longer be in middle, but pushed to one side or the other, and either will cost us a great deal. So we need to know a few things.

1) Though the law is does not really place where airsoft is, how, as an association are we going to place it. Replica, or Firearm or Toy?
2) How are we going to deal with underage people on this web site
3) How are we going to deal with underage people on this web site that really pushes the limit of everyone’s patience?
4) Are we going to post our “interpretation /opinion” of the firearms act on here.
5) Can we as an association with knowledge and privileges with airsoft act like a mature and professional association with knowledge and privileges?

The law is for and against us where it is in a grey area. In other words, they law cannot help this debate, and that is the reason why we have freedom. But I believe it is our responsibility as mature individuals to guide underage people in a mature manner to give them information and get them interested in airsoft. We need something on this website that we can say, “look kid, your not listening, go here and read this, then come back and ask a question, before then, we are not talking to you anymore.”

As this thread has proven, there is no easy answers to some very easy questions and until we start having more info on it on this web site, this debate will never end. We cannot answer Illusion’s simple question because the law in place is full of holes, thus it is not simple to interpret. So we need to start gathering info and placing it on this website. If we have a thread of “airsoft in the news” that would be a great place to start an underage person’s learning experience along with ours. Only then can we maybe come close to answering a question in a grey area. We need to find some black and white information.
Old January 7th, 2008, 10:10   #135
Greylocks

Hypnos, read what I just posted and Ex-royal's link. There's the law as it was applied. Right or wrong, it was applied in a Court in that way.

That ends it in my book.
Closed ThreadTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General