Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Linton LT-6288 Radio - Review

:

Reviews

Old September 14th, 2008, 21:52   #1
T_A_N_K

Thumbs up Linton LT-6288 Radio - Review

Hey Guys,

I recently picked up a Linton 6288 radio off ebay and thought I would do a review.

LINTON LT-6288 UHF (420 ~480MHz)

I bought it off a ebay retailer, after reading Crunchmeister's thread about a decent radio that I wouldn't have to shell out a fortune for. This is a UHF Radio, there are some legalities of using one, if you don't like it, keep it to yourself. If you wish to contribute info, then please do so, maturely

Retailer I bought it from:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320189250754

I paid about $85 shipped to my door, the retailer classified the item as a toy so I didn't get dinged for duties by CBSA.

What I got with my package:
1 x Linton 6288 Radio
1 x Battery
1 x Data Cable (for easy programming of channels)
1 x Desk Charger
1 x Programming CD
1 x Instruction Booklet (In English)

First Impressions:

This is quite compact and I would say pretty cool looking. Its a 4 watt radio, I believe the max is 5 watts for hand held radios. It comes with a short nubby antenna and a metal belt clip which is held on by two screws into the body of the radio. I personally like this feature, it keeps the clip firm and secure, and you will not have to worry about loosing your radio to whatever its clipped too, unless you take a big tumble, even then, I doubt it. The clip is option, you can run without if wish, it also has a hole for a strap, which is provided, again optional. This radio is built pretty solid, doesn't feel cheap, nothing wiggles or creeks, but I wouldn't use it as a hammer. I am confident it can easily withstand bb impacts, the LED screen looks to pretty strong and thick, it does not flex at when I push at it with both thumbs. The LED screen has a blue back light, and the keys light up green when you push the light button, makes is very easy to use in low light conditions.

Programming:

I bought one with a data cable, your computer requires a COM Port in order for it to work, you plug it into your computer and hook up the other end into the speaker/mic connections. After installing the programming software all you do is punch in the frequencies you want. I used the frequencies found on board here: http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthr...&highlight=uhf

Programming on with the software if extremely easy, all you do is punch in the numbers. After punching in the numbers and transferring the data to my new radio, I took my old GMRS/FRS Radio to see if it worked. I tested it with several channels is it worked perfectly.

You can also add in your own custom channels if you wish if you are part of team, I haven't done this yet.

Im not sure how easy it is to punch in the frequencies manually, however, after speaking with Crunchmeister he said it quite easy, just a bit tedious.

On the Field:

I fielded it at Border Wars II and it worked flawlessly. I had no problems with communicating with other radios. I was using a ear bud head set, and a external mic. The Linton 6288 uses standard Kenwood 2 Pin, so your variety of comm setup is quite vast, I was planning on picking up a Calvary Headset, but I found a better deal. At the end of the day, I found out that I had accidentally left my back light on the entire day, yet my battery was still going strong. I didn't really measure what kind of range I could get with the radio, but I didn't have any problems transmitting or receiving throughout the whole field, it is more than enough for airsoft purposes.

Overall impression:

This is great compact radio, for those looking for a budget radio. My entire setup, including radio, headset and mic was about $120. It is a bit expensive, however, I don't see myself ever buying another for a very long time, unless I loose it. Looking at standard radios being sold at Best Buy/Future Shop, your looking at about $70-100+ for a set of motorola talk abouts. I've only had this radio for a short time, but so far a I like it a lot.

Pros
- Relatively Cheap for a UHF Radio - $85 landed
- Kenwood 2 pin - Vast variety of comm set up
- Compact and seems very durable
- User Friendly

Cons
- China made, pretty sure it doesn't meet FCC standards
- you may require a license if you use certain channels
- no long term warranty, if it breaks your SOL.

Feel free to ask any questions and I will try to answer them the best I can.

Linton 6288 beside a Midland GTX 600 5 Watt Radio next to M4 Mag for size comparison. I forgot to mention, the antenna is detachable.

Metal Belt Clip held on by two screws - feels pretty solid

My current setup

Update: A few more things to add

After consulting the manual a bit more, is it easy to switch between two channels, pretty much a push of a button

- there also an option to set radio power level at high(default) or low if you which to conserve battery, there is also an option for automatic radio shutoff if you do not receive or transmit, or push any button within two hours. It signals a auto shut off with several beeps, good in case you accidentally leave your radio on.

- it has a built in stop watch, lol

Last edited by T_A_N_K; September 14th, 2008 at 23:03..
T_A_N_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 22:09   #2
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
If you're talking about the 14 FRS and GMRS frequencies, you only need a license to operate on the GMRS frequencies in the US. They're free to use in Canada.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 22:24   #3
T_A_N_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by m102404 View Post
TANK,

On the 6288...can you quickly switch between two different channels? I.e. like we were jumping between 19 and 3 for the BWII game?
I believe so. I'm not sure if im doing it correctly, but I can switch between 2 channels at the click of button, or two as my keypad lock is usually on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
If you're talking about the 14 FRS and GMRS frequencies, you only need a license to operate on the GMRS frequencies in the US. They're free to use in Canada.
Ah I didn't know that, well Ill just leave it up there incase people decide to use in the US as well.
Old September 14th, 2008, 22:38   #4
Crunchmeister

I totally second everything in this review. I don't think I could have said it all any better. I also fielded my identical radio at BW with a Cavalvy Elite II headset, and it performed remarkably well. Reception was loud and clear, with extra emphasis on the loud part. I had to just barely turn the volume on with the headset or it was almost deafening. Despite getting hit with BBs on my radio pouch on 3 separate occasions, it performed flawlessly and shows no sign of damage.

Just a note on the programming - I would recommend that even if you use the software to program it, you should at least try to program a couple of channels manually so that you know how to do it. If you show up somewhere on game day and your team decides to run subchannels or customs frequencies, you're sort of screwed if you don't know how to program your radio.

Also, when it comes to range, I was receiving loud and clear from opposite ends of the field. When I was a POW and held at the American base at the far SW corner of the field, I could clearly hear transmissions from my CO who was at the opposite far NE corner of the field at the Canadian base. So if it covers that kind of range clearly through that thick brush, I think it has a much longer effective range that anyone would ever encounter on an airsoft field.

And to quantify what I meant when I described the programming to T_A_N_K as "tedious". A single channel (once you know what each of the 9 channel settings are for and how to navigate through them), can be programmed in under 30 seconds. Doing that 22 times while trying to figure out how it works with its rather vague instruction manual takes some getting used to. LOL

But yeah, if you need a decent radio and don't want to have to break the bank to get high end radio features, this is it. For the price, it surpassed my expectations and I would highly recommend it to anyone considering a reasonably powerful, very vesatile, programmable UHF radio. For this kind of money, I see it as quite a deal. If it proves itself in terms of longevity, this could be the ultimate airsofter's radio.
Old September 14th, 2008, 22:41   #5
Crunchmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by m102404 View Post
On the 6288...can you quickly switch between two different channels? I.e. like we were jumping between 19 and 3 for the BWII game?
You can just key in the channel you want (01-22), and you're there. I forgot how to lock my keypad, so it was open all day. But the buttons are recessed enough that they're not easy to push accidentally if the radio is in a pouch. I believe there may be another way of rapidly switching channels, but I'd have to dig out the manual to be sure.
Old September 14th, 2008, 22:44   #6
T_A_N_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchmeister View Post
You can just key in the channel you want (01-22), and you're there. I forgot how to lock my keypad, so it was open all day. But the buttons are recessed enough that they're not easy to push accidentally if the radio is in a pouch. I believe there may be another way of rapidly switching channels, but I'd have to dig out the manual to be sure.
You push the button with the big KEY Picture above it Crunch :P its also blue, also I was the guy you informed my mic was transmitting cuz you could hear me :P.

Any other neat info to contribute?, I only really know the basics of the radio, I have yet to program channels in manually. The only thing right now that might be a factor is how water resistant it is, I suppose thought if it was pouring pretty hard I won't leave it exposed.
Old September 14th, 2008, 22:49   #7
T_A_N_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchmeister View Post
I believe there may be another way of rapidly switching channels, but I'd have to dig out the manual to be sure.
The way I did it is, I would be on a preset channel, in this case 3, and then I would push the "V/M" button to go into VFO mode, and manually punch in the actual frequency of channel 19(462.650). Pushing the "V/M" button again would bring you back to last channel used in your stored channels, which would be 3.

Last edited by T_A_N_K; September 14th, 2008 at 22:53..
Old September 14th, 2008, 22:49   #8
Crunchmeister

Roughneck has the Linton 5288 which is a very similar radio (I couldn't find the 5288 on ebay, so got the 6288 instead). He said his has seen many games, some even in the rain, and it's still going strong. However, I'm assuming that it's in a pouch in his rig somewhere and not on his belt and exposed. I'm quite sure that in my radio pouch, it would be fine in the rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_A_N_K View Post
The way I did it is, I would be on a preset channel, in this case 3, and then I would push the "V/M" button to go into VFO mode, and manuall punch in the actually frequency of channel 19(462.650). Pushing the "V/M" button again would bring you back to last channel used in your stored channels, which would be 3.
Cool. Very handy when you're switching between your squad-level and command channel.
Old September 14th, 2008, 22:54   #9
T_A_N_K

How do you like your Calvary Setup? I was going to grab one off shadow, but I think you snagged it.
Old September 14th, 2008, 23:07   #10
Crunchmeister

LOL Yeah, I was the one that snagged it.

I like the setup a lot. The headset is comfortable, even after wearing it for the entire day. It's well ventilated enough that it doesn't gather much sweat, and it's open enough so that you can still hear your surroundings. The PTT box was at a good position, and I easily ran my wiring under my vest. Even with the thick brush, I didn't really get the wire snagged, and my PTT never got pressed by accident.

I don't really have anything else to compare it to, but those are things that I would consider important in a headset, and there seem to fit the bill. Durabitlity is something I'll determine with time....
Old September 14th, 2008, 23:11   #11
Roughneck
used to be Spencer aka Sue

Yeah Crunch, my Linton has seen 10+ games.. most of them in wet conditions. I keep it in a radio pouch on the back of my rig. I just set the channel, key lock it and toss it in the pouch for the day. Never any issues. The only problem is low power walmart radios on the field, they sometimes come through with nothing but static.

I've left the radio on for a day or two, testing the battery and it lasts. I'm sure with heavy use, it can be killed in a day. As for range, at Border Wars II I was in the US staging area by the cars and hearing radio traffic from the US command post loud and clear.

In short, I dont plan on ever needing another radio.

EDIT: I also use the Calvavy elite, I love it. Clear reception but it doesnt drown out or hinder your local hearing. I have the older style with the large PTT button, when prone or in a firefight, I use the butt of my rifle to hit it.

Please save for me, some gallantry
That will echo when I'm gone

Last edited by Roughneck; September 14th, 2008 at 23:13..
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 23:13   #12
T_A_N_K

I found a lot of people had problems with their PTT Box, now im not sure if it was a knock off CAVALVY, or a knock off of a knock off. The ear bud I have is from kenwood, but the mic I was using was a china brand. I might look for another one, I don't want mine sticking.

On another note, do you find your charger to be on the cheap side? Regardless of if my radio is in its cradle or not, the green light is, red if its charging I assume.

Last edited by T_A_N_K; September 15th, 2008 at 01:25..
Old September 14th, 2008, 23:23   #13
Crunchmeister

Well, I thank you for recommending the Linton / Cavalvy setup, Roughneck. I'm very happy with it and as long as everything keeps working as well as it did on Saturday, I don't see myself ever buying a new radio and headset.
Old September 14th, 2008, 23:35   #14
Cleric

been using a Linton6288 for almost two years now. Very reliable, though the keypad took a direct hit. It tore the button off, but the radio still functions.
Cleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 08:20   #15
Rookie Ab
a.k.a. Kody_1

We,re running the same radio but we got a few of these in http://www.rocketquality.com/bluetooth.html and they're no too bad.Except for the little lites on them (on/off) for nite games .

Rookie Ab is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews