Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

CTW mx2 and ptw compatiblity

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old February 20th, 2012, 02:37   #1
spartan117

CTW mx2 and ptw compatiblity

I'm thinking about getting a CTW mx2 and was wondering if the internals/externals are compatible with a PTW such as the barrel, buffer tubes, receiver, hop up, gearbox, motor, cylinder, and Electronics? Thanks in advance.
spartan117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 10:13   #2
rustysniper

everything except the main electronics on the MX 2 (selector board, ecu, rear switch device) are compatible.
Old February 20th, 2012, 11:31   #3
Nova316

The Cylinder compatability depends on the model
I've seen a few blown PTW cylinders on CTW hopup chambers because the tolerance difference caused the PTW nozzle to get stuck in the hopup chamber then ripped off

Everything else should be compatable, but I've seen a PTW upper on a CTW lower that would just chop bb's like no tomorrow. It just takes some fine tuning like with anything else
Nova316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 15:28   #4
Slatts33

Good question- I was thinking of the same after seeing a few ptws at the game yesterday and listening to some options. Chopped bbs don't sound like fun though, are the mags and pmags compatible?
Slatts33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 17:10   #5
Flatlander

Send a message via MSN to Flatlander
I own a PTW and CTW and have gamed both for about a year now. My PTW upper w/ cylinder works fine with my CTW lower. Also this past weekend a buddy's PTW went down and he threw his PTW upper on my CTW lower and it also worked fine.

I've luckily never once experienced a chopped BB in either gun. I've heard this is more of a mag issue (or BB issue) than a gun issue but I can't confirm as I've never had this problem and have only put Green Devil BB's through both guns.

I run Systema PTW metal mags w/ Vanaras internals and they both work great in both guns. I also have team mates who use Pmags and those work fine in both my guns also

There are a few quirky fitment issues between hopup chambers, nozzles, and cylinders. Here's from my own personal experience between my PTW and CTW testing parts between each other. Copy/Pasted from my Team Forums last year:

Quote:
Hopup/Barrel Assembly:

CTW hopup/barrel fits in my PTW upper.

PTW hopup/barrel does NOT fit in the CTW upper. The PTW outter diameter of the hopup appears to be a tiny bit bigger and does not fit into the CTW upper.

Cylinders:

All cylinders FIT in all uppers. However, the CTW cylinders are slightly longer and to fit properly going between both brands you would have to re-shim your buffer tube in order for the upper's to close on the lower's properly

CTW cylinders FIT/MATE with PTW hopup unit fine.

PTW cylinders do NOT fit in the CTW hopup unit. There's a section in the PTW nozzle that seems to be cunt hair to large in diameter to fit in 100% in the CTW hopup. It could probably be sanded/filed down easily.

Uppers/Lowers:

PTW complete upper w/ cylinder worked fine with a CTW lower (confirmed and gamed it once this way).

CTW upper does fit onto the PTW lower IF the CTW cylinder is not installed. The lower does not quite fully close if the CTW cylinder is in the upper. My CTW cylinder is a bit longer than PTW cylinders. If you took out buffer tube shims you could make a CTW complete upper work on a PTW lower, but I didn't want to reshim my buffer tubes for this test.

Hopefully that info helps.
Old February 20th, 2012, 17:40   #6
spartan117

Will screwing the buffer tube further in work to fit the systema cylinders?
spartan117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 17:47   #7
Flatlander

Send a message via MSN to Flatlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan117 View Post
Will screwing the buffer tube further in work to fit the systema cylinders?
I don't believe so. You would have to screw it full 360degrees (one full rotation) otherwise it doesn't line up properly. If you go a full rotation I think it will be protruding too much into the lower receiver. Likewise, if you go a full rotation backwards, it's not protruding far enough into the receiver. I think that's why the shims were invented, so you could make very fine adjustments so you don't have to screw in/out the buffer tube to make those adjustments.

"shimming the buffer tube" -- taking off the little cap and adding shims -- is probably far less work. I hate trying to line up the buffer tube just right, tighten the nut without moving it, etc. Takes me forever it seems.
Old February 20th, 2012, 18:07   #8
Jihad Joe

with the buffer tube question. There are shims you can put behind the buffer tube cap. All mags are compatible between the two units.. All electronics other than the trigger board are good to go on both.
Cylinders are as flatlander says, per model.

I sold both and have worked on both. I have swapped the parts in question and have found the above mentioned.

Cheers

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications