Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

MP5 Issues - Selector switch

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old October 6th, 2017, 14:44   #1
Showe22

MP5 Issues - Selector switch

I'm considering buying an MP5, but I'm hesitant to invest in the platform. I've had two mp5's in the past (one umarex, the other by VFC) and both had issues with the selector switch. The switch would become so loose that it nearly floated between safe, semi, and auto.

Whenever I've seen an mp5 in a store, I'll try out the selector and see if it's any different than the ones I've owned. It's often hit or miss with the tension of the selector.

I'm also considering buying an ICS CXP-APE (their take on an ACR/Masada). Input and feedback is welcome
Showe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 03:39   #2
TheYellowDart
Myoga

I find the older SEF style selector switches found on the A2 and A3 variants much tighter. You lose the ambidextrous functionality, though. I have one of both styles, MP5A3 and MP5A4, and love both. Mine have Classic Army receivers.
TheYellowDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 06:49   #3
Cliffradical
butthurt for not having a user title

Yeah, the pass-through (ambi) styles are hinged on a 'half moon' kind of crossbar interaction with the selector lever/ selector plate, whereas the older SEF style is just pinned or screwed right into the selector lever more like most ARs, allowing for near direct input between selector lever and selector plate.

Ambi selectors are always going to be subject to more wear and tear. The best systems are hilariously the newer (middle-aged now) CYMA (maybe this is a direct copy of a better brand I don't know about?) types which are one big offset circle as opposed to the older CA (TM origin?) stepped cam style which is most often found on SEF selector groups.

Ultimately, it's a metal on plastic issue, and a failing of V2 AEG MP5 designs, so I try to be gentle and deliberate with my MP5 selectors. Very lightly and carefully lubricating the entire selector group helps over time.
I have an old CYMA SD6 (crossbar/ambi, offset circular, captive detent), and while the body is rattling itself apart the selector is good to go.

Edit: I've also never used the 'Auto' setting outside of funtime mag dumps, and I'm as careful as I can be about what stage of the piston cycle my guns are in when I use my selector, so my selector group has really only had to deal with ~2mms of travel. That helps.

Last edited by Cliffradical; October 7th, 2017 at 06:55..
Cliffradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 10:12   #4
RainyEyes

Oh boy you guys are lucky... I'm having the opposite experience right now.

Can anyone advise what to do if the selector plate is too STIFF? Going from semi to safe is really hard. It takes a lot of pressure to push it to the right position and it seems like the selector plate has lots of room but I can see the selector switch bend towards the receiver due to pressure.

This is a TM gb in a CA body. Same issue on both the new selector switch and the old one.
RainyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion