Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Gun shooting "hot"

:

Newbie Tank

Old April 7th, 2014, 18:30   #1
brock0

Gun shooting "hot"

Hey everyone,

I decided last year I wanted to give airsoft a try. So I went out and picked up a gun, plinked around in the backyard with it, made note of the costs associated with getting the rest of the required gear, and sort of put it all on the backburner.

This year I'm going to a game, come hell or high water. I've got my gun, mags, batteries, full seal eye pro, basic tactical gear, gloves, boots, etc.

My one concern is that I'm going to show up to my first game and my gun is going to chrono too "hot" (the outdoor games around here cap at 400fps) and I'll be SOL before I even get started.

My gun is a G&P sentry bought last year. I have no idea what it will chrono at. I've looked at all the websites I can and there seems at least a reasonable chance that it might chrony over 400 (even if just slightly).

Any suggestions? I'm not sure what to do. I'm in the Hamilton/Burlington area.

I also have to ask, face pro (such as a mesh mask); how many of you wear it for outdoor games with 400fps limits? I've got full dental and I'll be fine (I think) if I take a shot to the face. I'm curious though.

Thanks!
brock0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 18:34   #2

Find someone who's got a chrono? Local retailer/paintball field maybe. Or at least do "poor man's chrono test" with a pop can. That will give you general idea of FPS.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 18:41   #3
ebfud

+1 to the above, there's a few local gun docs here in Hamilton.
I can't personally vouch for them, so go check out the gun doc
listing here on the site for a better idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
I say we go over there, knock on their door and politely ask them to stop...with a cruise-missile...to the face.
ebfud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 18:53   #4
Forever_kaos

For the face protection, I wore some once long ago and never did again.
I've had some close calls, few off the lip or such... but *knock on wood*, still haven't lost a tooth due to airsoft yet.
Forever_kaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 18:57   #5
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

You'll need to chrono, since G&P's are known to shoot 360-410fps
And since you're new, the "fps" limit is actually a muzzle energy limit, so heavier ammo doesn't reduce muzzle energy.

Check local field rules on mesh masks, some don't allow it

And full dental or not, the amount of time and pain it takes to rebuild a tooth SUCKS.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 19:07   #6
Jamroxorz
Jamroz

I think he meant a Mesh lower face protection. It's works well and protects you, but I find it's too uncomfortable and limits how far I can look down if I need to check something out on my plate-carrier. Now I just wear a Shemaugh and wrap it around my face, or put it over my mouth.
Old April 7th, 2014, 19:12   #7
brock0

Thanks for the replies. Yes I meant a mesh lower face mask, I've got full seal goggles for my eyes.
Old April 7th, 2014, 21:40   #8
targetGspot

I personally use full face most of the time, my bud lost half a tooth from a relatively low powered shotgun. As far as a lower goes, a decent option is a "dust guard" for riding atv if a mesh is too bulky for your liking. A shemagh is a popular alternative but doesn't really protect teeth very well, helps more for shots not breaking skin on your face. Even though you've got dental doesn't mean it'll be fun to lose a tooth. Go with your gun to your local shop,(in a case) and chrono it there, and while you're there try on every mask/face shield and see what works best for you.
Old April 7th, 2014, 22:10   #9
Ron-E
reneorantes

Take your gun to Steve. His is in Hamilton and should be able to help you out with chronoing the gun and also with looking at mesh face masks.
Ron-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 01:39   #10
Red Dot
Google level: BOSS

I don't have a lot of games under my belt but I am thankful for wearing a mesh lower mask. Coming from a paintball past it's amazing to actually be able to breath and communicate properly because we can have a mask that open, you'd have a technicolor beard in paintball with one. Another neat thing is you can bend/shape a mesh mask to your liking... I have not experimented much in this area but nothing is stopping you from say cutting out the check portions to be able to better sight your gun, just trading protection versus function so you have to weight the balance.

I am fortunate to have a local ASC member let me raid his basement one day to chrono my new gun but I have been keeping my eyes out for a deal on a unit as it's good to be prepared well in advance of events if you are planning to attend a few that have various FPS limits. I would suggest PM'ing some locals, this community so far has been outstanding at helping educate and assist me and I'd imagine the same courtesies would be extended to you.

Have fun at your game! I am doing one of the zombie games at PRZ, OP Down with the Sickness... you can check it out in the games section here:

OP Down with the Sickness May 24

Looks to be mad fun so you might consider coming.
Red Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 08:45   #11
SuperHog

Chances are you will only need a simple spring downgrade.

Try the pop can test. I have done it compare it to my Xcortech and it does give you a good indication. Although not a replacement for a chrono.

Airsoft GI - Budget Friendly Soda Can Chronograph Test - YouTube
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 15:09   #12
brock0

Good suggestions all, much appreciated.

I think I will find a local gun doc and get it checked, as well as trying some mesh lower masks.
Old April 9th, 2014, 10:13   #13
Emre1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHog View Post
Chances are you will only need a simple spring downgrade.

Try the pop can test. I have done it compare it to my Xcortech and it does give you a good indication. Although not a replacement for a chrono.

Airsoft GI - Budget Friendly Soda Can Chronograph Test - YouTube
Awesome, thanks for that link bro.
Emre1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 17:57   #14
brock0

Took it to a gun doc (thanks Ron-E!) and it was up around 410ish. Also picked up a mesh mask - at $15, even if I can't stand to wear it, no big deal.

Thanks all
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank