Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

IR Lasers & DBAL's at games.

:

Accessories Discussion

Old January 22nd, 2013, 23:49   #1
mmmken

IR Lasers & DBAL's at games.

I've probably pissed most of you guys off as soon as you read the thread title, didn't I, lol? Well time to calm down, this isn't an ordinary copy pasta question.

How would you feel as a player or game host about a custom G&P DBAL that was retrofitted professionally by InvisibleSight with a Class I eye-safe 0.7mW IR laser? I'm sure it would need to be verified to be eye-safe before used at a game, but what do you guys feel about something like this? Are we more concerned about the intensity (and potential for eye damage) here or do we care more about brand and trustworthiness? I know that these two concerns go hand in hand, but suppose we ran tests on such an unit, and such an unit was confirmed to be eye-safe of 0.7mW?

Would the fact that it's much cheaper than a PEQ-2/4/15/17/41384/32464398 be relevant any more?
Old January 23rd, 2013, 00:02   #2
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Grrrrrrrr!
Just kidding!

I'll give you a bit of feedback I've heard from a few users of InvisibleSight systems in the US. They suck. They are pretty much the equiv of a g&p DBAL, however the exception is you are paying x5 the cost. The guy putting these units together and slinging them on ebay has made quite a racket out of building an inferior product out of Airsoft junk, and managing to get suckers to purchase them. Probably something to do with it looking like a PEQ-15 and using a lot of exclamation marks to sell it. The broken english in the sales pitches should have been the big red flag, but some individuals on AR-15 wanted to give it a shot anyways.

There are many dumbed down civilian IR lasers coming out this year with legit FDA paperwork which are going to drive down market prices. They will be in and around the same price of the invisible sight, and there are rumours that they will be legally imported into Canada for civilian ownership.

Last edited by c3sk; January 23rd, 2013 at 00:05..
c3sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 00:11   #3
mmmken

I've had an InvisibleSight PEQ-15 in the past and it wasn't anything to write home about in terms of externals. Performance though, seemed to be decent. My old unit held zero with no issues on my GBBR's and even on real steel as reported by others in the US. I'm no expert, but the laser seemed nice and crisp - there wasn't a weird shape or anything. I only got rid of it because I couldn't use it (5mW) and the externals were crud. However, the externals on their fake DBAL are pretty close to the real thing, and judging from my previous experiences with their fake PEQ-15 - I can probably assume the same performance from the DBAL.

With that said, I'm waiting for the CIVL to be released. If it's importable, I may just grab that instead. If it isn't - how would you guys feel about a 0.7mW InvisibleSight fake at games?

Unless.. someone were to show me where I can legally get a LDI LAS/TAC2 on the cheap.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 00:18   #4
Viperfish

Lasers are not something to cheap out on, if your going to be firing off a laser at my face i want to know 100% its safe. Much like eyepro

How are you going to tell these modded ones from the non modded ones?

Fuck ppl just save your pennies and get something real or just get a sight you can aim with at night.

WOLFPACK WP-32
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBR View Post
If you ever go to a milsim and hear a vuvuzela, you are fucked.
Viperfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 00:22   #5
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Basically it has always come down to this:

Is it FDA approved? If the answer is no, and the government has not signed off on it. It probably isn't safe and it shouldn't be used on players. Game hosts now require paperwork to be produced with the laser you are using, an excellent practice. Hell, we even have a chrony for lasers now to make sure.

I've seen some pretty crazy IR lasers being used at night games before, luckily none of them graced my eyes. This was back in the day before players really knew about them, and started buying up all the Hong Kong knockoffs. If guys are running potentially dangerous IR designators at a game, virtually every player I know that enjoys a good night fight wouldn't be interested in taking the risk.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 00:25   #6
mmmken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperfish View Post
Lasers are not something to cheap out on, if your going to be firing off a laser at my face i want to know 100% its safe. Much like eyepro

How are you going to tell these modded ones from the non modded ones?

Fuck ppl just save your pennies and get something real or just get a sight you can aim with at night.
I'm not sure how $600 is cheaping out. My question here is, does brand and price really matter if it can be tested and verified to be 0.7mW?

Let's keep the discussion civil. I'm not sure that your tone is warranted here.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 00:28   #7
mmmken

Yep Chris, I see why there is a concern now, the FDA requirement is definitely legitimate. The only reason why I would prefer the DBAL over a legit LDI LAS/TAC2 or a CIVL is solely because of how it looks.

Find me a LAS/TAC2 please!
Old January 23rd, 2013, 00:34   #8
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmken View Post
I'm not sure how $600 is cheaping out. My question here is, does brand and price really matter if it can be tested and verified to be 0.7mW?
Well, if someone was using a laser thrown together and illegally imported in from Hong Kong on your face, would you be ok with it?

Have a look at these:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...Number=3497953
Old January 23rd, 2013, 00:39   #9
mmmken

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3sk View Post
Well, if someone was using a laser thrown together and illegally imported in from Hong Kong on your face, would you be ok with it?

Have a look at these:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...Number=3497953
Thanks for the link, but aren't even commercial FDA approved units subject to ITAR? I can't seem to find out where to pick one of these up without running into some sort of restriction.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 00:44   #10
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
I don't like people using any lasers at all and would ban them at games if it was my choice.

But that's just me.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 00:47   #11
Qlong
Division

Problem is all IR lasers designed for the purpose of weapon designation coming out of the US is ITAR.

Booo.

Weee!
Qlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 00:51   #12
mmmken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qlong View Post
Problem is all IR lasers designed for the purpose of weapon designation coming out of the US is ITAR.

Booo.
So basically what you have said, is either I smuggle something in or I suffer a huge disadvantage against you laser owners.

.. or I should just buy your damn PAQ-4C, right? LOL

Old January 23rd, 2013, 00:59   #13
Qlong
Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmken View Post
So basically what you have said, is either I smuggle something in or I suffer a huge disadvantage against you laser owners.

.. or I should just buy your damn PAQ-4C, right? LOL

Pretty smooth eh?

Well, ITAR just means that you need an exporter, there are legitimate sellers that sell Class I IR lasers on CGN, but do charge more for it. Eg. LDI DBAL costs $1300 in Canada vs $781 in the US.

Weee!
Qlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 01:03   #14
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
I don't like people using any lasers at all and would ban them at games if it was my choice.

But that's just me.
Yea? Well you're not from Chicago.
Just kidding Styrak.

It really is host/region dependent. For example, at QC games there is generally a laser ban in effect.
However I typically don't see any big 24hr, or overnight games happening there. The nightvision player crowd is big in Ontario, and this season we will probably have the highest amount of 20hr+ games ever posted in a single season where NVG's and IR lasers get utilized immensely.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 01:04   #15
Derpystronk

There are also a number of Russian and East Bloc offerings that have Class 1 options. Most people don't like them cause "Ew Russian" among other reasons.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion