NVG Equipment Gallery

:

Gear Discussion

Old November 12th, 2015, 00:03   #541
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmej2 View Post
Ah OK, I'm still learning all the tubes and what devices use them etc... So thanks for helping out on that one lol! Really appreciate the info on everything.

I really do like the Sentinel goggle for the ruggedness and just for the shear versatility, ie: mounting options, power supply and the God IR light. Price point is a bit more, but get what you pay for.

The modular monocle of the Mod 3 is a great idea but I had my suspicions about them having some play. I've heard that the eye relief can get pretty damn close as well. But what about eye relief on both goggles while wearing eye pro, any issues with to close or not close enough? I am running an L4G24 with my current monocle setup, so this is a concern.

In the end I would probably go for the Sentinel goggle overall. Just still like the simplistic look of the Mod 3, but I cant go by looks alone.
If you don't have any intention of utilizing external power sources down the road, the Mod-3 fits the bill. The end result is going to be more or less the same thing. They are extremely similar in design. I should have worded that a bit better, the Mod-3 allows you to get the eyepieces extremely close to your eyeballs, but still has the same amount of travel as a pvs-14. Depending on the mount/helmet/shroud, the sentinel doesn't allow you to put the eyepieces on your eyeballs while using an L4G24, but with eyepro, I guess this doesn't really matter much anyways.

The wobble never hindered me in any way, so I wouldn't let that be a deal breaker.
c3sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2015, 08:42   #542
EOD Steve

Optically, it all depends on the tubes so really the argument is down to the housings. So: do you want a bino that trades modularity for some play? Or do you want the tip-of-the-spear hardware, dedicated bino? I had checked out the Sentinels prior to the Mod3s and modularity was a requirement for me, thus the Mod3 - I could live with the shortcomings c3sk outlined from the Mod3 platform.

The wobble between the pods on the Mod3 against the bridge - while present - is very minute and bearable. Certainly on the same level as found on a new Wilcox J-arm. I actually noticed the most wobble came from my G24 between the articulating arm and Dovetail plate than the pods themselves. When deploying for mono-use and hooked up to a very solid setup (AKA2 and DDA), that's when the wobble becomes more apparent, but again, it's very slight. Could the wobble get worse over time? Doubt it - the mounting surfaces are dovetail profile and made of very tough machined Delrin

Some random notes about the Mod3s:
  • Mod3s can be operated with a single pod on the bridge, so if you wanted to run it in dual mono mode, you don't need 2 dovetail adapters. Yes - a measly $250 saved.
  • The Mod3 monocular is not compatible with the L4G24 and Wilcox J-arm when used for the left-eye. The battery housing impinges on the wings of the L4G24, no issues with other mounts (INVG, AKA2, etc.) or using with right eye
  • When mounting it up with the Norotos DDA (recommended over the Wilcox arm), the DDA will not allow the pod release button to be actuated, so it's not exactly a tool-less on-the-field installation. You have to install the pod on the mono adapter, then put the DDA on, which requires a Philips screwdriver. Problem could be solved by shaving <0.5mm off the footprint off the DDA.
  • I wish it had a PVS14-style switch rather than the Aimpoint Comp style switch

The Steve has spoken.

Last edited by EOD Steve; November 12th, 2015 at 13:00..
EOD Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2015, 22:28   #543
jdmej2

Pretty solid info, thanks c3sk and EOD Steve.

I am eventually looking to upgrade my D300 monocle to a Bino setup. Really like the Anvis unit but not a fan on the "durability". So the up-armoured Sentinels and/or Mod 3 fill the order without having to fork out another 3-4 grand on top for a Pvs 15 Bino. The mono pod is a really great idea, I'm just not sure it's a feature I would really want or use. I could deal with a minor "wobble" seeing as I have very little movement with my current setup. It sure is a hell of a lot sturdier than the old USGI rhino/j-arm lol!

Like c3sk stated, I think the left hand manipulation of the Sentinel Bino is little more ergonomic in my opinion. I would really have to get my hands on the two units before actually purchasing one or the other. Or just win the lottery and buy both as well as a lot of other tactical goodies...
jdmej2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2015, 17:46   #544
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Old December 4th, 2015, 22:04   #545
Short Round
Najohn

I can't Like, Comment and Subscribe :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3sk View Post
Old December 4th, 2015, 23:57   #546
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Round View Post
I can't Like, Comment and Subscribe :/
:`(
Old December 6th, 2015, 07:06   #547
Derpystronk

Intragalactic Milsim when?

Derpystronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 13:25   #548
EOD Steve

Quote:
Nice!
How much rear ballast do you have to run for it to be comfortable for extended periods?

The Steve has spoken.
EOD Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 14:45   #549
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD Steve View Post
Nice!
How much rear ballast do you have to run for it to be comfortable for extended periods?
With the ballistic, not much is needed, I run a low profile battery pack with x2 cr123a's or x2 AA's which doesn't really add much weight to the back.

After running 15's on my neck for a few years, I don't think I even need a counterweight now tbh, so it's a little difficult to gauge it.
Old December 12th, 2015, 16:40   #550
Curo
Cobalt Caliber

Quote:
With the ballistic, not much is needed, I run a low profile battery pack with x2 cr123a's or x2 AA's which doesn't really add much weight to the back.

After running 15's on my neck for a few years, I don't think I even need a counterweight now tbh, so it's a little difficult to gauge it.
whats the item that would be covering your nose?
Curo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 16:46   #551
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curo View Post
whats the item that would be covering your nose?
That's an AN/PAS-29A Clip on Thermal Imager (or COTI for short)

Clips onto the front of an I2 device and injects/overlays a thermal image onto the lens of the Nightvision providing a Thermal/Nightvision fusion system.

Old December 12th, 2015, 18:52   #552
Curo
Cobalt Caliber

Quote:
That's an AN/PAS-29A Clip on Thermal Imager (or COTI for short)

Clips onto the front of an I2 device and injects/overlays a thermal image onto the lens of the Nightvision providing a Thermal/Nightvision fusion system.

that is really really cool.
Curo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2015, 17:37   #553
Azathoth

Stupid question which i think I know the answer to, Does the CLIP IR / ANPAS29 require that the I2 be ON for the thermal to function.

IE you can't run thermal only in daytime
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
it would appear I am not first up in this gang-bang
---
WANTED PTW Receiver PRIME, STG, Factory
Azathoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2015, 17:57   #554
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post
Stupid question which i think I know the answer to, Does the CLIP IR / ANPAS29 require that the I2 be ON for the thermal to function.

IE you can't run thermal only in daytime
You can run the PAS-29 independently using an eye piece adapter & helmet mount. The PAS-29 can also be used in conjunction with a dayfilter if you really wanted to run it that way during the day.
Old December 19th, 2015, 14:29   #555
rockafella

Last edited by rockafella; January 21st, 2016 at 20:51..
rockafella is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion