Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Tactical light options

:

Accessories Discussion

Old January 2nd, 2016, 18:26   #1
Chairs

Tactical light options

Looking at getting a light for my ar as we plan on doing more late evening/night games this year. What do you guys recommend? Does a guy go out and buy a 200 dollar surefire or does he buy the 60 dollar knockoff. If I had a preference I'd like ability for switch pad as I kinda hold my rifle goofy.
Chairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2016, 19:21   #2
buddahknife

I bought a Fenix light based on recommendations from this forum. I originally had a ~60 knockoff..which kinda broke and isn't very bright. Check them out if you're interested.
fenixtactical.com

Edit: I bought the PD35 with a rail mount adapter thing, remote pressure switch and 10 batteries for somewhere over $100 CDN...i don't remember the exact amount.

Last edited by buddahknife; January 2nd, 2016 at 19:23..
buddahknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2016, 19:37   #3
ShelledPants

Dollar for dollar, a light made by a Western company will outperform a Chinese clone.

That being said, chinese clones can look cool, and if you know your way around a soldering iron, you can throw a higher power CREE led into the clone body. This way you get the "tactical" features of the clone with a higher power LED.

Surefire is your best bet for ~$200-300
Fenix (by a long shot) is your best bet for under $100.

Keep in mind you have to buy a mount for said light, and you're faced with a similar conundrum. Do I buy a Chinese clone of a mount or a Western made mount. This is also dependent on how handy you are with metal. The Haley line of mounts are really quite nice, and the clones are pretty bang on, but your mileage may vary.

Worst case, electrical tape the fucker to the rail. It works in a pinch.

IMPORTANT EDIT:
When buying a light, look at "throw" reviews. This is what you want outside. Raw lumen count means fuck all when it's 100 feet wide at 100 feet. A tight beam which evenly lights a narrow cone is way better than a light that broadly illuminates an area dimly. Also, with lumen count in mind, you want to be able to preserve your own natural night vision and prevent backwash intensity (light bouncing back at you from foliage, walls, etc) keep your light between 120-300 lumens. It's enough to light an area within airsoft ranges and prevents your whole team from hating you every time you push your switch.

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.

Last edited by ShelledPants; January 2nd, 2016 at 19:41..
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2016, 20:01   #4
Curo
Cobalt Caliber

buy a fenix, inforce, surefire.

In regards to Flashlights, and RDS low end 'real steel' are the way to go over over priced airsoft china clones.
Curo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2016, 22:57   #5
Chairs

10-4 and so the shopping begins!
Chairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2016, 01:23   #6
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

For a light I have: 10$ element qd mount.... 30$ fenix that has more than enough light and 3 modes... 20$ for the pressure switch. When not on my gun I take the light out and use it as my edc flashlight I throw in the car or my backpack.
Old January 3rd, 2016, 02:04   #7
Handsonic
"I like syrup on my blue waffles." #diseasedvagina

I bought a Sinvitron pistol light for $20 from a friend, literally in the middle of a match, and it's been working absolutely wonderfully, but it has no switches like the Surefires, the button is at the bottom.
Handsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2016, 15:16   #8
Diadochi

+1 on the fenix lights. I picked up the tk-15 with mount and pressure pad early in the summer and I wont be looking for anything else. A few teammates have started buying them as well, and we all love them.
Diadochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 14:19   #9
Azathoth

Surefire on the used market can be as cheap as 20 dollars on the correct forum (sometimes this one but rarely).

the price of surefire lights have come down significantly over the last few years. New I would recommend P2X - FURY

The best offerings are old 6P lights if you are into the flashlight modding. Used they are 20-50 dollars, you can find aftermarket companies making 6P housings/ tailcaps, and various heads for different types of lights, so you could build your own clone from high end dealers from candlepower

My tube collection, I paid LESS THAN one hundred US DOLLARS from a AUTHORIZED RETAILER (NEW) for the Fury and the M952v

M952v - - On rifle
P2X Fury on Larue Mount (mount cost more than light) - Middle right
6P LED - Middle Left
Executive Defender Bottom

Buy a tube style light and get a Viking Tactics flashlight mount - 15 dollars and you are good to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
it would appear I am not first up in this gang-bang
---
WANTED PTW Receiver PRIME, STG, Factory
Azathoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 14:30   #10
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
I use surefire clones (Element) They've done me quite well up till now (1yr+), (M300C) model, haven't had any issues surprisingly. One of my M300a has the lens shot out, but still functions fine!

Fenix TK15 - I had one, was quite large for the my CQB build, so I sold it off, pressure switch I got (Wasn't tactical one) the wire is stupid long and gets in the damn way, wouldn't recommend the pressure pad for it).
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 04:13   #11
Amoki

M952V is great if your have the NV to boot. Otherwise it's a CQB/urban light

This is what I run for bush games:
http://www.airsoftpeak.com/night-evo...3-p-13743.html

http://www.airsoftpeak.com/element-t...k-p-14250.html

With This + a lexan shield, your torch will never get shot out.

http://www.airsoftpeak.com/night-evo...k-p-14658.html

This for great light control - you'll rarely "on" the light by accident.

If you're going to be loud with light, you might as well go proud too. 500 lumen + a big arse reflector to throw the light = sexy times.

Last edited by Amoki; January 5th, 2016 at 04:17..
Amoki is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion