Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Radios - Monitoring multiple channels

:

Newbie Tank

Old March 2nd, 2018, 21:48   #1
Serkhar

Radios - Monitoring multiple channels

I am currently planning a radio setup for this summer and wondered how you guys managed having multiple channels monitored at the same time.

From what I've read, it is possible to listen to two channels at the same time with most popular chinese radios while only talking to one of those, although it seems that some of them simply switch the active channel by scanning for active traffic, which means you end up talking on the channel that last transmitted and might end up missing comms if both channels have traffic at the same time.

Is there a radio that's better at it than others?

Also, is it possible to wear two ear pieces and direct a single channel to each one. I.e. Channel A in right ear, Channel B in left ear, talking to Channel A only.

Thanks
Serkhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2018, 14:34   #2
Canadian Psycho
Personal Mule.....PM for rates!

Send a message via MSN to Canadian Psycho
I used to use a wouxun for that purpose. Drove me absolutely nuts trying to figure out which channel i was hearing at any given time. Especially since no one uses proper radio comms. Plus the hassle of getting the radio out to switch to the other channel to talk and put it back was just to much. Now run two separate radios each on one channel plus a dual comm headset. This was I can talk on both channels and because I only hear one radio per side its easy to differentiate which is talking.

I have mine set up so squad channel is always on the left radio (I am right handed so much easier to being support hand off rifle to hit the ptt leaving my able to return fire should it be need) and team channel on right radio.
Old March 5th, 2018, 09:23   #3
JimCanuck

That actually sounds like a pretty good idea. What headsets do you use?
JimCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2018, 13:35   #4
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

comtac or sordin dual comms
They are NOT entry level headsets, and require TWO radios to use. They will not work with a dual channel radio. And they're very expensive.

I'm an admin for many games which is why I have dual channel, one for admin channel, one for squad channel. Although some games I end up just turning off the admin channel if there's too much chatter anyway.

So main question is, do you actually NEED dual comm functionality? Or do you just want it because you think it might be useful?
Because buying a dual channel radio is cheap, in fact it's pretty well the standard. But dual comm HEADSETS are not cheap, and also require a second radio anyway.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2018, 14:28   #5
JimCanuck

I have like 4 Puxing 888's at home I bought for hunting with my father and brothers. The headset would be the only capital purchase if I decide on it. So thought i would ask.
Old March 5th, 2018, 16:16   #6
Canadian Psycho
Personal Mule.....PM for rates!

Send a message via MSN to Canadian Psycho
I run 2x wouxun radios. For a headset I run MSA Sordin dual comms, I use the SRS tactical PTTs. Its not cheap, the PTT alone are 100 each, for a headset they sometimes pop up used here or over on ebay but expect to pay over 200. Worth every penny for me as my team uses comms extensively and we don't like to mix in with the rest of the team, but we still need to stay in touch.
Old March 5th, 2018, 17:00   #7
JimCanuck

Cool thank you.

Not sure if I ever will need to run dual comms but always good to have an idea.
Old March 5th, 2018, 22:07   #8
Serkhar

Those are really good starting point for planning out, thanks for the replies.
Old March 6th, 2018, 15:03   #9
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
comtac or sordin dual comms
... and require TWO radios to use.
+ a dual comm PTT, or 2 PTTs.

This is the only answer for a properly functioning dual frequency setup.

You can use Puxing/Wouxun dual channel modes for the same purpose, but the outcome will NOT be the same. The software solutions could leave you missing information or transmitting on the wrong channel/fidgeting with the radio to change your transmit freq.

As others have pointed out it will not be cheap, you will really want to NEED this for it to be worth the cost.

Last edited by Cobrajr122; March 6th, 2018 at 15:08..
Cobrajr122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2018, 17:56   #10
Serkhar

I'm thinking settling for half the kit so moving to the next step, if required, wouldn't involve replacing.

Which PTT should I get for that purpose (brand/model)? Would a dual comm PTT be functional for single until a switch to sordian dual is felt to be required?

Having used dual comms for an extended period of time in another context kinda makes a bit hard to do without, especially since comms is a great part of my enjoyment. But there's nothing wrong in taking it slow.

Thanks for the great replies.

Last edited by Serkhar; March 6th, 2018 at 17:58..
Old March 6th, 2018, 19:43   #11
JimCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrajr122 View Post
As others have pointed out it will not be cheap, you will really want to NEED this for it to be worth the cost.
I see that, with radios (assuming one doesn't have them) looks to be a $1,500 or more investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serkhar View Post
Which PTT should I get for that purpose (brand/model)? Would a dual comm PTT be functional for single until a switch to sordian dual is felt to be required?.
The headset seems to be the biggest cost, whether single or dual comm versions are used. The price gap is tiny between the two.

Last edited by JimCanuck; March 6th, 2018 at 19:45..
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank