Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

First gun help/ opinions

:

Newbie Tank

Old September 4th, 2013, 19:47   #1
Cf.vandervalk

First gun help/ opinions

Hello all,
I just recently joined this forum and have started the hunt of learning about airsoft. I have been searching a lot in regards to guns etc.

I will have a budget of 500$ and am looking for a M4/C8 or m16/C7 since its what I use in the military now.

So far I have my eye on the WE M4 RIS GBB. And It was on airsoft depot. 380$

With that being said I've researched it seems people upgrade all their internals etc, but I am wondering if this brand and gun is reliable or are their other better brands that I just don't know of.
Also when using the site search it's pretty crappy and never gives anything I'm really looking for.

Things I'd like in a gun: GBB -must , metal body, reliable, c7/c8 style.
I am looking for realism with this so I want to get one I won't be disappointed with.
All help is welcome in terms to good/best brands, reliability, realism.

Thanks guys.
Cf.vandervalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 19:55   #2
Cf.vandervalk

KJ models I've also looked into but it says their fps is 450. Now another question I should have added is, are airsoft rifles similar to paintball guns in that you can adjust the fps?
Old September 4th, 2013, 20:18   #3
Chillyrabbit

Somewhat, Since I'm also pretty new to this correct me if I'm wrong.

You can change fps using different weight bb's but this is only strictly speaking FPS, not energy or anything like that.

First you should probably get age verified to get more access to the forums.
Chillyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 20:24   #4
Brit ter

You will have to get yourself age verified ! Check out the newb section in the forums .As a beginner try an aeg first gbb,s are alittle more finicky for beginners

Last edited by Brit ter; September 4th, 2013 at 20:27..
Brit ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 20:36   #5
bug519

Check out the KWA LM4.
I believe there is an NPAS available so you can lower the fps.
bug519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 21:02   #6
Cf.vandervalk

I am working on av.. But doesn't mean I can't get info...this forum would be useless otherwise lol.

I will look into the kwa thanks bug
Old September 4th, 2013, 21:03   #7
Cf.vandervalk

I don't want an electric and I'm ok with mechanical side of things. I'm a toolmaker as well as knowledgeable with weapons. I'm up for the challenge. Electric ones i don't have any interest in
Old September 5th, 2013, 16:53   #8
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillyrabbit View Post
Somewhat, Since I'm also pretty new to this correct me if I'm wrong.

You can change fps using different weight bb's but this is only strictly speaking FPS, not energy or anything like that.

First you should probably get age verified to get more access to the forums.
WRONG. study physics more.

mass x acceleration = force

FPS is not the issue on airsoft guns, it's irrelevant to safety. what matters is MUZZLE ENERGY.

muzzle energy is what causes injury. velocity is just a part of that calculation.

We use 400 fps with .2s as a guideline because it roughly calculates to 1.5 Joules of energy. The limit is 1.5 Joules. It does not mean that when your gun shoots a gajillion FPS with a .2 that you can put a 1kg projectile into it to make it shoot 400 fps and have it qualify for field use.

a .2 BB traveling at 400 fps is 1.48J

a .4 BB traveling at 282.96 fps is STILL 1.48 J

a .4 BB traveling at 400 fps 2.96 J

a .2 BB with 2.96 J of energy is traveling at 565.93 fps.

To properly maintain a safe level of muzzle energy, you must reduce the energy propelling the projectile. That means on an electric gun you use a less powerful spring. on a gas gun, you change the valving to release less gas.
Old September 5th, 2013, 17:37   #9
Chillyrabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillyrabbit View Post
What my post was about which admittedly was a weak one was you can change your FPS with different weight bb's but not the muzzle energy.
Chillyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 17:57   #10
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

yeah but OP was asking if it was possible to lower fps to field legal status, you replied with weight change of ammo which was the incorrect answer regardless.

Changing weight is not to adjust your fps in any way, it's to retain accuracy and consistency to overcome manufacturing defects in the BBs. People don't change weight because they want to shoot slower.
Old September 8th, 2013, 23:54   #11
Kuro_Neko

Send a message via ICQ to Kuro_Neko Send a message via AIM to Kuro_Neko Send a message via MSN to Kuro_Neko Send a message via Yahoo to Kuro_Neko
I strongly advise against a GBBR as a first gun. They're more expensive, finicky, and have troubles in cool weather. Also, keep in mind that it's not the gun itself that kills your wallet with gas weapons, it's the magazines. GBBR mags are going to run you in the area of $50 each. You're going to want at least eight, and the gun will only usually come with one. So seven mags at $50 each means another $350 on top of the gun's price. GBBRs are perhaps alittle more realistic seeming then AEGs but not, in my opinion, enough to offset the increased cost and other issues.

I've never owned a WE GBBR or read much about them, but I've owned several of their accessories and not a single one ever preformed to my expectations. The gun doc section is also filled with problems regarding their pistols, which have a tendency to rip themselves to pieces.

It is certainly possible to lower the fps on an airsoft rifle. It's just a matter of changing the spring (if it's electric) or changing the valve (if it's gas).

I did extensive research and settled on the Tactical Carbine version of the Classic Army M15A4 (basically a full stock m4) AEG as my first gun. If an Armalite is what you're looking for then I think it's the best of all possible versions. You have the shortened M4 carbine barrel, which makes you less likely to smack your barrel off something when turning quickly, combined with the full stock which houses a large battery. Small batteries don't have near the run time of a large battery, not to mention that the reinforced slip ring (the ring that keeps the fore-grip on) is really strong. While this is mostly a good thing and a big step up over CA's previous M15 versions, it makes changing small batteries in the field very difficult if not impossible.

CA's M15A4 series in general is a big step up over their previous versions and as far as stock armalites go they're probably the best. All metal where the real steel version is, the plastic parts where the real steal version is plastic are made of high quality enhanced nylon fiber rather then abs for great texture and feel. Classic Army has a deal with Armalite so you get all the proper markings. Plus that deal also goes to show the quality of the manufacture, Armalite wouldn't put their name on a shoddy product.

Internally the gearbox is reinforced metal and all the gears are metal as well. It fires hotter stock then Tokyo Marui's as well, firing at 300-320 fps where your average TM only fires 280-300 fps.

All in all this is a great starter gun if you can afford it. Because it's all metal you don't have to worry nearly as much about breaking it and you won't get any of the wobble or creaking that is infamous in stock TM M4/M16's. Unfortunately affording it is the biggest problem, they're not cheap. For reference I got my CA M15A4 from the classifieds, upgraded with a bunch of Systema internals to fire 390fps, for $600 shipped which was a great price.

As you can probably tell, I'm a big fan of Classic Army. One thing to keep in mind about Classic Army is they now have two lines, a proline and a sportline. Originally they were easy to tell apart because the proline had the metal body and the sportline had a plastic body but recently CA has been releasing their sportlines with metal bodies. The price tag should still allow you to easily tell the difference but it's still something to keep in mind. All the pros that I went over above were regarding the proline model. The sportline model has cheaper everything internally and externally.

Now for some gun pron:

My Classic Army M15A4 Tactical Carbine without external addons:

My baby, CA M15A4 Tactical Carbine with m203 grenade launcher, red dot sight and taclight:
Old September 9th, 2013, 00:48   #12
SuperHog

I guess if you are mechanically inclined and willing to learn, go ahead and get a GBBR. I just think it is a bigger money pit than a AEG or PTW.

My WE GBBR broke after four magazines. Fixed it, and now two of my magazines are leaking and not from the valve. Magazines costs more and because they are real cap, you will have to buy more. Also, WE stuff are fragile, so look up RA Tech, they make all the aftermarket stuff to keep this gun running. Expect to pay $$$$ to keep it running.

A GBBR is really fun to shoot, but I would rather a more reliable shooting platform when gaming.

The other thing you have to live with, AEG and PTW are more consistent thus more accurate shot to shot if you care about that.

Last edited by SuperHog; September 9th, 2013 at 00:53..
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 09:07   #13
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
Gas guns for the win!

Love them all!

Sounds like with WE GBBR you need to replace every internal part with RA-Tech and spend more $ then you would just buying a better base as per @SuperHog?

WE GBB Pistols seem great though.

AEG's are more consistent and accurate in my opinion. Whereas gas guns, temperature and the amount of gas in your magazine can be prove to be very inconsistent., but then again, I don't find it fun nor realistic when your just camping in a brush holding down the trigger with 1-300 bb's in one magazine. I much rather the pleasure of my gun being loud and the kick.

Your other choice could be an EBB "electric blow back" - Look up the "KWA MAGPUL PTS RM4 ERG Electric Recoil SCOUT." It doesn't have the fancy bolt and such as normal gas guns, but does have a "bolt catch" function.
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank