Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Media
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Ghillie Thread, lots of thread, litterally ;)

:

Airsoft Media

Old March 11th, 2007, 22:47   #31
gixxstar

Hey fellow snipers,

I am looking to a Ghillie suit to go with my new dicked out Type 96.

Any sugestions for a good company to order from over the net, also ship's internationaly.

Thanks
gixxstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 22:51   #32
whoreable

Build your own ghillies, its effective.

whoreable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 23:07   #33
Mr_Steezy

Would anyone know where to get a Web tex Concealment Vest? I have checked the Canadian gear retailers at the top and I have not come across anything yet... I want to make a woodland ghillie that I can slip over my regular bdu. If I find one to purchase ( hopefully off a retailer in Canada) I'll post a review on it here.

Thanks in advance
Old March 11th, 2007, 23:25   #34
whoreable

Everything you need is found at Arts and Craft stores, netting, burlap, jute, glue ect ect
whoreable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 23:39   #35
baraccuda

i dont know what a web tex concealment vest is but here is a link to mabe what you are talking about. http://www.tetragon.ca/view.cgi?uid=...1607&currency= call them there good people to deal with.
baraccuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 04:18   #36
Dracheous
Lego Head

Well, Stalker did it again, gave me another project.

Its still in progress, I'm just waiting on some more green thread to dry.

Oh, and the foots in there just for you Stalker!

"The hydrogen economy car from the people who brought you the 'Hindenburg'" - Glen Foster

Condoms do not guarantee safe sex any more. A friend of mine wore one and was shot by the woman's husband!
Dracheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 12:43   #37
Iceman

Send a message via MSN to Iceman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracheous View Post
Well, Stalker did it again, gave me another project.

Its still in progress, I'm just waiting on some more green thread to dry.

Oh, and the foots in there just for you Stalker!

I'd put a lot more "tan" actually. You got enough green on there.
Old March 12th, 2007, 13:10   #38
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
I'd also put in 2" wide strips as well to make it 'leafier' looking. I know strips will look retangular, but once you tie them in you grab the upper part, and about 2" from the end, and literally pull out the horizontal strands from the strip. The end gets all frayed, and the upper part gets bunched up a fair bit. After all that, and you've made your ghillie, soak it outside with the hose, let it sundry, soak it again, then stomp in the mud, hose it, let dry, etc. The best ghillies out there look like total crap, beaten all to hell and back. What you have there Drach is good looking, but it'll only really work well in areas of long grass, won't work very well in woodlands (which is mostly where you play). And as Iceman said, add more tan (natural) and browns to it, since you will be using it close to the ground.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 14:45   #39
Dracheous
Lego Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Stalker View Post
I'd also put in 2" wide strips as well to make it 'leafier' looking. I know strips will look retangular, but once you tie them in you grab the upper part, and about 2" from the end, and literally pull out the horizontal strands from the strip. The end gets all frayed, and the upper part gets bunched up a fair bit. After all that, and you've made your ghillie, soak it outside with the hose, let it sundry, soak it again, then stomp in the mud, hose it, let dry, etc. The best ghillies out there look like total crap, beaten all to hell and back. What you have there Drach is good looking, but it'll only really work well in areas of long grass, won't work very well in woodlands (which is mostly where you play). And as Iceman said, add more tan (natural) and browns to it, since you will be using it close to the ground.

I'll have three shades of brown by the time I'm done. I haven't even gotten my light brown out. I have another shade of green... but that really dark one gets it good...
I want to thin out the tan along the top, and get it more fanned out in the piece. Remember, this is just the hat, I'm having my fun learning how to fuck it all up here!.

Btw, this grassy stuff takes up ALOT of burlap...
there is ALMOST a meter by a meter of thread in here... not quite, but almost.

"The hydrogen economy car from the people who brought you the 'Hindenburg'" - Glen Foster

Condoms do not guarantee safe sex any more. A friend of mine wore one and was shot by the woman's husband!
Old March 14th, 2007, 00:48   #40
Dracheous
Lego Head

This is gonna take some time. . . just waiting on more burlap to dry. I do it by hand so its a lil more work there too. Anyway.

Just noting that I should have started with a LOT longer strands at the top... going to get it built up and longer out towards the shoulders, now that I have the fish net secured to the jacket. Going to go around later with a lil more tan and a lil more dark brown. Also going to toss in a small bit of red... not a lot just accent to the dark browns.

Old March 14th, 2007, 09:02   #41
THEDRAVEN

very nice!
Old March 14th, 2007, 09:09   #42
Primus
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Primus
I have yet to build a ghillie but wouldn't it better to start attaching your jute and/or burlap at the bottom and work your way up?

Gray Fox Strategic - @grayfoxstrategic on Facebook / Instagram
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 10:52   #43
SCG48
a.k.a. SniperChic

Here are some images of mine in action:

I always add some local vegetaion as I go along. Ideally your ghillie suit would comprise of 40% jute/fake stuff and 60% vegetation, however this is airsoft and we really dont have the time to do such. If you have a spotter, you help each other out with applying local vegetation, and its effective if you do it right.
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired or reserve - is someone who at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The Country of Canada", for an amount of "up to and including my life."-- Author Unknown
SCG48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 12:14   #44
aZn_triXta07

That's a real nice one you got, just one question ... if you apply local vegetation who do manage to clean it :S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperChic View Post
Here are some images of mine in action:

I always add some local vegetaion as I go along. Ideally your ghillie suit would comprise of 40% jute/fake stuff and 60% vegetation, however this is airsoft and we really dont have the time to do such. If you have a spotter, you help each other out with applying local vegetation, and its effective if you do it right.
aZn_triXta07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 12:20   #45
SCG48
a.k.a. SniperChic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZn_triXta07 View Post
That's a real nice one you got, just one question ... if you apply local vegetation who do manage to clean it :S
Luckely the vegetation doesnt stay on, hence why you have a buddy system in place, apply vegetation every now and then, and apply vegetation when your surroundings change. As for cleaning it, I simply remove the vegetation at the end of game play.
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired or reserve - is someone who at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The Country of Canada", for an amount of "up to and including my life."-- Author Unknown
SCG48 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Media