Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

PDW choices

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old June 28th, 2015, 20:05   #1
Cloven

PDW choices

Hello all, I'm considering my next airsoft purchase as a PDW size AEG. I don't give a hoot about blow back, but it needs to be electric and in the ~$350 dollar budget range. I wasn't able to find a thread about this specific size, so I figured I would make one. I'm sure you all know the kind of size I'm talking about: bigger than a Mac10 or MP7, smaller than an M4. MP5K seems like a good size, but everyone seems to say that size has battery issues, so I'm thinking MP5A5, UMC, G36C, Scorpion EVO3 size. Folding stock, not a super long barrel sorta thing. Oh, I guess P90 would count too. The AK's with a folding stock seem like they'd have a longer barrel than I have in mind. I just want an informal poll from others to get a feel for opinion on the different model choices, then specific manufacturer choices from there with a mind to upgrade ability and parts quality. It looks like CYMA is on the somewhat lower end, people seem to say there's a lot of pot metal going on there. It seems like the Evo3 is a proprietary gearbox, so replacing or upgrading would be a pain in the butt. I was kind of leaning towards the Classic Army Mp5a5, but the G36c looks like it would fit the bill too. I can't tell between the KWA or the Ares G36c. *shrugs* I would appreciate a discussion on this, opinions and experiences. Cheers.
Cloven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2015, 00:08   #2
Slodin

PDW That's basically all the submachine guns...this is all I know...I never could own all those guns..it's just things people tell me and friends who had it..

mp5 - so many different kind..personally I find mp5k really good because no stock means easy ads...but that battery storage is really a pain..mp5k i think it's smaller or similar size to mp7..the ones with the solid stock is the best because you can put the battery in the stock
p90 - I had echo1 and CA proline, but they were both noisy because of the metal on plastic, but super easy to take apart
UMP - never used one..didn't get my hands on it before my friend blew his..long mag tho
AK47/74U - basically an AK..not much to say..only stick type battery, and AK seems to be painful to take apart..(or it's just mine lol)
AR - You can just convert your M4 or buy a M4 and convert it into a short gun..there are way too many parts out there for this. Which also means if you have AR mags, yay..less money spend..

Or even the gun that is called PDW lol.........it's pretty much a M4 isn't it.......
Old June 29th, 2015, 00:24   #3
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

VFC/echo1 KAC PDW?
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2015, 00:26   #4
Deejay2401

I know tons of guys absolutely love their P90s. I've had an MP5K, had a G36c and currently have an MP7A1 and a KAC PDW. Mine are all gas, but the idea of size is still there. The G36 is larger than a PDW-type, and the MP7A1 is actually VERY comfortable to me, despite the size. Excellent ergonomics.

Honestly, I'd hit a store and hold a few. See what feels comfortable to you.
Deejay2401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2015, 00:40   #5
hollywood...
cranky old man

MP7 - hands down
Old July 2nd, 2015, 01:39   #6
Red Dot
Google level: BOSS

I like the Ares Amoeba series for this, takes M4 mags and seems to be decent for the money. I own a CYMA MP5K but if I were buying new I'd grab an Ares Amoeba.
Red Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2015, 15:45   #7
Cloven

I guess I'll kind of expand this thread for any future people that are searching for this topic. PDW can refer to anything from machine pistols like the Uzi Mac10 and VZ61 Scorpion to submachine guns like the MP7 and MP5K (that could be wielded one handed) to shortened assault rifles like the G36C or MP5a5 (that would need two hands), even bull pups like the P90 or UAR would be considered.
I was actually looking at the VZ61 or MP7 platform, but they are mostly available in gas, and as I mentioned my criteria was it had to be electric. Trying to fit a gear box and battery in a form that small is no easy feat. I know there's a WELL electric VZ61 or TM electric MP7, but not that I could find in Canadian on-line shops. The Ares Amoeba looks like a nice form for this size.
Cloven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2015, 16:09   #8
davenk

I recently trade a KWA MP7 for an ASG CZ Scorpion Evo 3A1 and I couldn't do a best trade.

Scorpion is the best PDW out there so far, no updates required and lipo 11.1 ready. Features 3rnd burst out of the box with a tightbore 6.04, you can't have bettter.
davenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2021, 02:28   #9
Nz3linsky

Okay well you gotta check out the krytac trident mk11 cqb pdw. They're amazing out the box. 7.4 lipo perfect and 11.1 is a ridiculous fast rof. Accurate asap dmr, full metal, very high build quality I'm actually looking for a second.
There's also the vfc Avalon saber pdw this is a strong contender and just about the same level quality of the krytac. Both of these are beat out the box no upgrade needed

Next up I love my g&g arp9 with a tightbore, upgraded hopup rubber, changed to a proper buffer tube m4 stock for battery and it's 11.1 ready, pair it with the $60 hand winding drum mag 1500 rds and we'll over 20 rps. They're just as good outdoors against the dmr as long as you use them right. Then arp 556 is very similar but you get the benefits of the M4 magazine well.

King arms pdw is also like the arp guns but they take m4 AND mp5 magazines. Pretty useful.

All the guns I mentioned are mosfet comes stock and cost not much more than 300 dollar.

One special mention is the ics mars pdw. It's just like the arp9 but it's a higher build quality, full metal, split gearbox and the infamous second to none dmr capable as their full size lineup. Only drawback is the $500 price tag. Well spent though
Nz3linsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2021, 08:41   #10
tvw

All just personal opinion from running what I have in the past. P90 by G&G was a decent gun, reloading and mag storage are the only dislikes. KWA MP7 was a great little gun and comfy (would go vfc gen 2/full size next time.. Did VFC shells stop cracking in V2?? Kwa shells are known for cracking at the two rear pins). G&G makes an awesome UMP. G&G has the "new" line of TGM/MP5 series which have shown to be great shooters on the field, I have yet to field my A3 variant, tho I had a 1st gen EBB SD6 and that was a laser. AKS74U is the platform I always turn back to, ran GHK for a bit and then recently decided to run AEG as primary which is where the Arcturus line comes in. I had the Carbine arcturus AK01( great rifle) and recently switched to the aks74u / AK06 variant and this little gun is great. I also acquired a arcturus AR03 / PDW and it feels superb.. tight, very small and rock solid.

Head out to a store or a field and start holding guns. You want somthing that works for you ergonomically and that suits your body best.
tvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2022, 09:21   #11
PVT BUTTERCUP

I just bought the G&G arp9 from hero outdoor airsoft it was a little more then 350, it was $355 plus tax but an unreal gun to shoot
PVT BUTTERCUP is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion