Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Ares ms338 & ares ms700!

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old January 15th, 2013, 13:56   #16
SuperHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktic View Post
I dont see why that is a problem though? Why would you ever not load the mag completely full before the game? I've always done that with my previous rifles.
I never load my magazine full. My 130 round M4 mid caps have usually 100-110.

The problem with the Ares, if you watch the video, a magazine that is not full, screws up the bb chambering completely. Even if you have 5 bbs in your magazine, you should be able to still chamber all 5 shots without tipping your barrel to the ground for each re-cock in the MS338 or MS700.

I have a VFC ASW338LM and if I put 30 bbs in the magazine instead of the 40 maximum rounds, I can chamber them all with the rifle on the ground. With the Ares, I would have to pick it up and point the muzzle to the ground before I can chamber a bb after each shot.

You don't see this as being a problem????

Last edited by SuperHog; January 15th, 2013 at 13:58..
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 14:01   #17
Arktic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHog View Post
I never load my magazine full. My 130 round M4 mid caps have usually 100-110.

The problem with the Ares, if you watch the video, a magazine that is not full, screws up the bb chambering completely. Even if you have 5 bbs in your magazine, you should be able to still chamber all 5 shots without tipping your barrel to the ground for each re-cock in the MS338 or MS700.

I have a VFC ASW338LM and if I put 30 bbs in the magazine instead of the 40 maximum rounds, I can chamber them all with the rifle on the ground. With the Ares, I would have to pick it up and point the muzzle to the ground before I can chamber a bb after each shot.

You don't see this as being a problem????
Yes I agree it would be a problem for most but seen as though I never short load my mags (except in my GBB rifles) I wont mean much to me.

I will test how short you can load them though. If every bb literally has to be in the mag or could it be 1 or 2 or 5 short would it still work?
Arktic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 14:09   #18
Jagd
Jagdalex

Honestly this is a really bad design flaw. We have alot of real cap game here in Qc, and the fact that you need to always have the mag fully loaded simply kills it for me.
Old January 15th, 2013, 14:10   #19
Kos-Mos

If you don't fill your mag, you will simply have to re-fill them before using.

There is no magic. The only way I can figure that this would happen is because the mag is say 40rnds, and there is an intermediate chamber for 10-15bbs in the rifle instead of the TM feed ramp/guide thing.

So theorically, if you short-fill a mag, it will just put all the BBs in the chamber. Inserting an other mag would complete the fill at what point it would start to feed.

Very stupid as there will always be some BBs left when removing the mag, so making the gun safe is longer and a lot easier to do wrong or forget.

*edit
Ok nvm, I have no idea why the mag needs to be full in order to retain the BBs in...

Last edited by Kos-Mos; January 15th, 2013 at 14:15..
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 14:58   #20
SuperHog

Please let us know what the max rounds it takes to fill it and how many less before it screws it up.

I love the looks of the MS338 and have been waiting for it since the announcement but this magazine issue would turn it into a wall hanger.
Old January 15th, 2013, 15:43   #21
seabass
trevorthetwigyalienman

Like all things with Airsoft im sure there will be a mod to make the mag function. This should he the least of your worries. Same with the accuracy at 25m, hop ups can be modded and replaced. As long as the over all build is solid the rest of the gun can be made to function correctly.

This is still a cheap gun. If you expect it to be amazing quality out of the box you haven't played much airsoft
Old January 15th, 2013, 16:23   #22
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

Yes the mag thing will suck for clearing the gun tho without cocking the gun it can never accidentally fire like an aeg so renderi.g it safe is as easy as not cocking it. Im sure there will be some way to lowwer the capacity of the mag but it will have to at least have enough rounds to fill the inner chamber of the gun so depending on how many rounds that takes real cap may be out of the question for fhe hard core mil sim types tho im sure u could work out and arrangement where u firs your five rounds or what have you and then just swap mags if u r not a cheater then it will still be as if u are using real cap mags
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 17:24   #23
SuperHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass View Post
Like all things with Airsoft im sure there will be a mod to make the mag function. This should he the least of your worries. Same with the accuracy at 25m, hop ups can be modded and replaced. As long as the over all build is solid the rest of the gun can be made to function correctly.

This is still a cheap gun. If you expect it to be amazing quality out of the box you haven't played much airsoft
You are kidding us. The customer have to find a fix for another messed up gun. What's wrong with feeding the bb from the magazine like any other gun.

Last edited by SuperHog; January 16th, 2013 at 10:15..
Old January 15th, 2013, 18:17   #24
seabass
trevorthetwigyalienman

Even the most expensive guns require modding. Its a harsh reality if you want to play Airsoft. Ill plink with this thing but if it sucks it will probably end up as a wall hanger. 360$ is crazy cheap. You get what you pay for
Old January 15th, 2013, 19:09   #25
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

There isnt anything that doesnt work on the gun it just has a certian method to follow to ensure it works correctly. Like starting a standard car, if its in nutral there is no reason to depress the clutch to start it but u have to or it wont work so u have to fill the mag or it wont work.
Its like sayin " i got a co2 pistol why do i gotta put co2 in it it sbould work without it" well it wont u have to follow certian steps for the gun to function properly.
The mag works fine u just have to insure u start with it full or it doesnt work properly. Try gasin up yer gbb with the mag upright, it wont work properly u have to follow procedure. Like most things.
There is no "fix" needed for this rifle to work u just have to fill it up for it to work. Not a big deal if u ask me it just may annoy those who want to run real cap games or those who cant use a speedloader properly lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 23:30   #26
Arktic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectic View Post
There isnt anything that doesnt work on the gun it just has a certian method to follow to ensure it works correctly. Like starting a standard car, if its in nutral there is no reason to depress the clutch to start it but u have to or it wont work so u have to fill the mag or it wont work.
Its like sayin " i got a co2 pistol why do i gotta put co2 in it it sbould work without it" well it wont u have to follow certian steps for the gun to function properly.
The mag works fine u just have to insure u start with it full or it doesnt work properly. Try gasin up yer gbb with the mag upright, it wont work properly u have to follow procedure. Like most things.
There is no "fix" needed for this rifle to work u just have to fill it up for it to work. Not a big deal if u ask me it just may annoy those who want to run real cap games or those who cant use a speedloader properly lol.
+1 Well said.

Almost every gun I have bought over the years has needed some sort of modding etc to get it to work how you want it to. Just because you have to fill the mag to capacity doesnt mean its a design flaw or a deal breaker.
Old January 16th, 2013, 10:15   #27
SuperHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass View Post
Even the most expensive guns require modding. Its a harsh reality if you want to play Airsoft. Ill plink with this thing but if it sucks it will probably end up as a wall hanger. 360$ is crazy cheap. You get what you pay for
It is crazy cheap if the magazine wasn't messed up and it is 100% VSR10 compatible. It is crazy expensive if the magazine issue can not be fixed and is only 1% VSR10 compatible and becomes a wall hanger.
Old January 16th, 2013, 10:22   #28
nstahl.19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktic View Post
+1 Well said.

Almost every gun I have bought over the years has needed some sort of modding etc to get it to work how you want it to. Just because you have to fill the mag to capacity doesnt mean its a design flaw or a deal breaker.
True enough, I think just the idea of it turns some people off.

I might get one later in the year because I was really anticipating this gun, I just want to see some good reviews first.
nstahl.19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 02:23   #29
Arktic

Wooohooo my gun is arriving today. Will try get a review done by Monday.
Old January 17th, 2013, 05:11   #30
Arktic

Ok So it just arrived!

Heres a very brief review so far. Ill try do a proper one this weekend or early next week.

Initial Impressions:
First thing that struck me was the weight. It has a very good heft to it. I have an M14 GBB and that weighs about the same as this. Over first glance it has very nice and solid build quality. The pistol grip is extremely comfortable to use. I was thinking of replacing it but no ways im doing that now. It has a nice texture and is rubberised.

The Rail, barrel and whole front half of the gun is very very solid. No wobbles at all. Every thing has been tightened down with some good force. The Stock however has a good amount of wobble on the hinge. Maybe 1mm - 1.5mm of up and down movement (feels about the same amount as the stock on my old WELL G96). This should be a fairly easy fix though. Will just add some brass shim stock to the under side of the hinge area. The locking mechanism is very sold and has a nice solid click once it locks into place. It aint going any where.

The adjustment dials on the stock are quite stiff and need to be worked on. The range of each of the moving parts seems fairly small. The shoulder pad adjustment is very easy however. Just a thumb screw that unscrews nice and easy with very smooth movement when adjusting.

The finish of the MS700 could be a bit better. On very close inspection you can see some tiny dents and seem lines but nothing major really. The rail has been cast very nicely with some mould lines on the far inside of the rail. Again you will have to look hard to find them. The paint on the gun is great. Very consistent and solid all over. No complaints there.

The performance was a nice surprise. All reviews have said that the rifle comes shooting around 380fps. Mine however is shooting a steady 450-455fps! with a 0.20g. The bolt pull is quite stiff. Not because of the spring but from the tight fitting I think. Also pushing the bolt back into position can be very tight and needs some force to go back in. This will probably wear in over time.

The magazine is tiny. Wasnt expecting it to be that small lol. Nice metal finish. Reminds me of the MAG M14 metal midcaps. Loading them is easy and quick. The rifle comes with a long tube style speed loader. The mag is extremely tight in the receiver. You have to give the mag a good push and slap to get it in. Once its in though its extremely secure. No wobble at all in any direction. Taking it out is also very stiff. Once some of the paint has worn down im sure it will become easier. I havent been able to test whether or not you can short load the mag. I will try that after work.

Overall score based on a very quick assessment is great! Easily 8/10.
The rifle is extremely comfortable and has a nice weight to it.

I will adjust this score once I have been able to do a range test with some heavier bbs.

Very very happy with this rifle and is well worth the $360 I paid for it.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion