Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > Movies/Video Games/Sci-fi
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

The RFID Skull Project (or, how to play real-life HALO multiplayer game "Oddball" with Airsoft)

:

Movies/Video Games/Sci-fi

Old November 26th, 2008, 23:56   #16
Forever_kaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelledPants View Post
I believe the point of Oddball was to have the person with the skull unable to defend themselves while in possession of it. You're not really intended to have the skull for long, but if you repeatedly kill the skull carrier, you'll ultimately start racking up more points by the end of the game.

Oddball would be an awesome addition to most CQB facilities. Very fast, wild gameplay as there is no incentive to kill anyone who doesn't have the skull, unless they're in between you and the skull.
Be more specific :P I consider 99% of everyone to be between me and the skull, some how.

Man this is great, if you did end up making and selling these it'd be amazing!
People are lazy ya know.
Forever_kaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 12:38   #17
DonP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelledPants View Post
I believe the point of Oddball was to have the person with the skull unable to defend themselves while in possession of it.
[...]
Very fast, wild gameplay as there is no incentive to kill anyone who doesn't have the skull, unless they're in between you and the skull.
This is exactly right. Allowing the skull-holder to fight changes the dynamic completely. As soon as you grab the skull you shift 100% to escape-and-evade.

We tried a variation where there were 2-man teams (due to a shortage of RFID tags) and it changed the game completely. Was not nearly as good, quick, or as fun.

The fun and dynamism comes from somewhere in everyone else being an enemy (but not a clear and present danger) until you're the one holding the skull and suddenly have to 100% shift to Escape and Evade. It also allows the skull-seekers to be much more freely aggressive (and therefore keep the action fast) when you hunt down the skull because you know the skull-holder can't shoot back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
Maybe you already accounted for this, but can you reach the buttons with a thumb and index finger or middle finger (one handed)?
Sure, but unless you have gorilla hands, are holding it in the crook of your arm, or against your chest you still need the other hand to hold the damned thing.

This dances around the point though. You're not supposed to be able to attack while holding the skull. The button design is a simple way to remind/enforce this. A player might discover some acrobatic method of one-handing it, but at the end of the day if you're doing that so you can break the "no attacking while holding" rule, that's not thinking outside the box. That's cheating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_A_N_K View Post
Any idea what initial cost of on these babies would be? I suppose you can make a base model and the customer can customize the aesthetic details himself.
I have no plans on making them, but if I did they would surely be hundreds (probably many) each to justify the work involved, even figuring that I wouldn't have to repeat the testing and circuit design.

One thing it does demonstrate is that careful measuring and planning and finishing is mainly what separates a nice looking, finished product from a functionally-similar hack job. I'm very pleased with the way I was able to make it self-contained and preserve the look of the skull (which is an anatomically-correct one from a medical supplier) - for example hiding the power switch and charger jack in the upper palette, and the LCD inside the hole where the vertebrae would go. In other words, not adding any more holes than were already there and not having anything electronic sticking out or otherwise obviously visible.

Last edited by DonP; November 27th, 2008 at 12:44..
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 13:32   #18
m102404
Tys

Neat idea...it'd be a fun game to try....

Though I can't help but picture using 3-hole bowling pin grip to carry the skull...
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 23:41   #19
grimreefer

Fantastic idea and a much better production than we could hope for! I would consider buying one most definitely. However, an option to carry the skull one handed would be necessary. Not to attack... but running for your life through rough terrain without being able to move your arms around for balance can be dangerous.
Old November 29th, 2008, 00:06   #20
MadMax
Delierious Designer of Dastardly Detonations

Location: in the dark recesses of some metal chip filled machine shop
Excellent project DonP!

Now that I think of it, I like the idea of not being able to shoot while holding the skull. If you're going to make a fun and unusual game, go all the way and make something really different.

Maybe you can augment the skull by adding a voice feature so the skull murmurs disturbing things and disses yo mama while you hold it.

Could you use the RFID antenna in it to activate game events? For instance if you take the skull to a particular terminal in the field (say hidden in a tombstone) could you unlock a Trigger Master upgraded M249 behind the tombstone and become the terrible headless horseman armed with a M249?

Maybe the tomb has the disabled M249 and a shot detecting helmet which triggers a moscart full of ketchup. The helmet has a face shield and you don some heavy gloves so you're impervious to all hits except for a dramatic headshot which makes the helmet 'splode into a gruesome piff of Heinz and spaghetti.

I see some pretty funny combinations with your previous projects.

MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 15:57   #21
DonP

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimreefer View Post
However, an option to carry the skull one handed would be necessary. Not to attack... but running for your life through rough terrain without being able to move your arms around for balance can be dangerous.
It's not like your hands are handcuffed behind your back - you're just holding a small object in your hands. If you fall, you drop it and catch yourself if you need to.

I can't see how it could be a serious safety risk any more than humping a rifle (2 handed grip on an object in front of you) through rough terrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Could you use the RFID antenna in it to activate game events? For instance [...]
Hmmm... that hadn't occured to me. Could even use the skull like a "ball" which is used to "score" for your team.

Quote:
and a shot detecting helmet which triggers a moscart full of ketchup. The helmet has a face shield and you don some heavy gloves so you're impervious to all hits except for a dramatic headshot which makes the helmet 'splode into a gruesome piff of Heinz and spaghetti.
Oh man, I am speechless. This would be simply too cool - not to mention an awesome photo op.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 15:59   #22
ShelledPants

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
Hmmm... that hadn't occured to me. Could even use the skull like a "ball" which is used to "score" for your team.
That would make the TTAC3 Bunneh Push awesome.

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 22:54   #23
johjoh

Send a message via MSN to johjoh
great idea Don continue watching your nephews playing more games u might come up with even cooler stuff and make more money lol
johjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 23:51   #24
ToRN

Send a message via AIM to ToRN Send a message via MSN to ToRN Send a message via Skype™ to ToRN
How much did you get the RFID kit for? and where? I might be looking for a similar project (not airsoft related)
Give your head a shake, man. You don't jump out of a shaky car so you can ride in one that's on fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff_Man_in_CADPATs
I also noticed for the first time that Bod sounds a lot like Jango Fett.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok View Post
I like the part where he got banned.
ToRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 00:34   #25
MadMax

Quote:
and a shot detecting helmet which triggers a moscart full of ketchup. The helmet has a face shield and you don some heavy gloves so you're impervious to all hits except for a dramatic headshot which makes the helmet 'splode into a gruesome piff of Heinz and spaghetti.
Quote:
Oh man, I am speechless. This would be simply too cool - not to mention an awesome photo op.
Ever since you sent me that strike detection circuit I've been wanting to embed it into a Protec helmet and make a game prop. I've been thinking of a scenario where a player can find a big bag of fictional PCP and become a raging druggie impervious to body hits in the next scrim. They don the helmet and full face protection as well as heavier clothing and enter the next scrim with twin machineguns with no slings. The double guns prevents properly shouldered and aimed shots because they're too "tweaked" on PCP. Additionally the drug crazed maniac is not allowed to take cover in buildings because their supposed to be blood lusty and not camp somewhere. They're really supposed to flail about in the open screaming "BAITCAR!111" and shower everything in sight with pellets.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 00:35   #26
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToRN View Post
How much did you get the RFID kit for? and where? I might be looking for a similar project (not airsoft related)
http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microc...me,ProductName

Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:53   #27
ToRN

Send a message via AIM to ToRN Send a message via MSN to ToRN Send a message via Skype™ to ToRN
Thanks Carl.
Give your head a shake, man. You don't jump out of a shaky car so you can ride in one that's on fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff_Man_in_CADPATs
I also noticed for the first time that Bod sounds a lot like Jango Fett.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok View Post
I like the part where he got banned.
ToRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 20:40   #28
Lorden

Send a message via MSN to Lorden
Will you be releasing the source, circuit and components used soon? I intend to get one of my electronically gifted friends to build me one.
Old December 8th, 2008, 19:43   #29
DonP

Sure, but realistically probably not until the new year since I'm busy with work and then there are the holidays.

And for the components a Canadian source for the RFID stuff is hvwtech.com (located in Calgary).
Old December 10th, 2008, 17:58   #30
Red62

omg that's amazing. Don't forget the implant hole at the back. =P I can thing of a couple of games for that.
**Certified Tornado Tech**Will fix your guns for food and BBs**
Red62 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > Movies/Video Games/Sci-fi