Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Airsoft as a teaching instrument

:

General

Old August 2nd, 2006, 15:18   #16
Luckyorwhat

When I was in junior high we had ENVOE, environmental outdoor education iirc. One part of the class was a multi-day expedition to the forest near Rocky Mountain House, in mid January. You built and lived in lean-to's for a couple days, lived over your fire, and the Rangers held classes in firearms training (skeet shooting and .22 marksmanship) and we practiced the curriculum's outdoor survival skills. This is juniour high, so we're all well below 18. But in the REAL world, it's a good idea to teach children proper firearms handling and safety skills, because you have to be taught these things, the only other way to learn is by making mistakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In Liberal hippie-fantasy world guns are all bad, and no-one should ever have them, and no-one should know anything about them, and then we'll live in a happy sugarcane universe where criminals and predatory animals and totalitarian gov'ts suddenly dissapear.
Luckyorwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 15:23   #17
Mapcinq

Send a message via MSN to Mapcinq
[COLOR=Black]
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiggers
I had a hard time when i was in high school trying to be snake plissken for halloween, apparently my orange cap gun was a weapon. So i doubt many school boards will be interested in this instrument of teaching due to the fact of the zero tolerance policies many schools have on weapons of any kind.
andrew
When I was in elementary school a kid brought a plastic butter knife to school in order to put butter on his bread (I know people are going to say why didnt he do this prior to going to school, but I think bread needs to be freshly buttered for the full affect). Anyways, he ended getting suspended for bringing a weapon to school. Guess where he got caught with this WMD? In the caf, putting butter on his bread. WTF?!
Mapcinq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 22:44   #18
deep in the bush
Monkey with a Gun

Send a message via MSN to deep in the bush
paintball

my neice had paintball for part of her phys ed program this year.

I'm the Barrie Bastard.
http://www.bbbastard.com/

Cheese is good.
deep in the bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 23:01   #19
thephenom

What does Milsim have to do with educating kids? Make them join the boy/girl scout, cadets, stuff like that..... What happened to the good old camping trip? Making the kids setup their own tent, collect their own wood, start their own fire, cook their own food, make them go on 1-2hrs hike, and make them clean it all up after.

If you want them to experience the life of a soldier, ie fear, split them in 2 groups, make them dig trenches, then make them wait in it for an hr or two, then cover up the trenches. Then make them dig it again 3 ft away from the old trenchies, and make them wait again. Give them the impression the other team is about to attack. Weapons? Give them waterguns. Giving kids under 18 each an airsoft is just plain dangerous since 1-2 teachers simply isn't enough to really safely supervize them
thephenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 23:33   #20
neil555688

Send a message via MSN to neil555688
Knowing the kids in my school this would end badly, vary badly. The camping trip would be a good idea; I am leaving for 3 weeks of mountaineering and ocean kayaking on Saturday
And then Jacob looked up and called upon the mighty power of the Lord, who descended from heaven on a golden chariot with a Vulcan minigun stuck on the front and smote Zacharia with a sustained full-auto burst. And Lo! Jacob proclaimed:
"God is indeed MIGHTY!!"
neil555688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 23:45   #21
Black_Orchid

thephenom -Though I dont think having them participating in an airsoft MILSIM may be the best way to go, somehow I don't think sending them to scouts, or using waterguns will get the point accross. If anything, they'll just end up having fun with their waterguns and messing around and miss the point of feeling what it's like to be in a war type situation altogether.

I'm with Groombug on this one.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Mark Twain
Black_Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 12:50   #22
L473ncy

Why cant the teacher take them to CFB Comox. I'm sure that he can arrange something. I know some people who have taken overnight "field trips" to Comox.

If he can, try to arrange something with one of the Units in the area (72nd, 15th, and the Armoured Cav)(if it's in Vancouver). Or the medical company, engineering company, or the Dragoons or something.

And try paintball. But make it more interesting and try to make them not want to get shot and keep it more realistic. Ie. If you get "killed" then you must go to the teacher and he assigns some sort of boring assignment.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 21:23   #23
deep in the bush
Monkey with a Gun

Send a message via MSN to deep in the bush
best example yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by thephenom
What does Milsim have to do with educating kids? Make them join the boy/girl scout, cadets, stuff like that..... What happened to the good old camping trip? Making the kids setup their own tent, collect their own wood, start their own fire, cook their own food, make them go on 1-2hrs hike, and make them clean it all up after.

If you want them to experience the life of a soldier, ie fear, split them in 2 groups, make them dig trenches, then make them wait in it for an hr or two, then cover up the trenches. Then make them dig it again 3 ft away from the old trenchies, and make them wait again. Give them the impression the other team is about to attack. Weapons? Give them waterguns. Giving kids under 18 each an airsoft is just plain dangerous since 1-2 teachers simply isn't enough to really safely supervize them

lol..that works great!!!

I'm the Barrie Bastard.
http://www.bbbastard.com/

Cheese is good.
deep in the bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 22:15   #24
Treadstone71
Ain't gay, but $20 is $20

Send a message via ICQ to Treadstone71 Send a message via MSN to Treadstone71
Would someone (mods, Pte. Pyle, anyone?) please edit the first post to spell "instrument" right? Please?

Here's a sharp knife, have fun!

Treadstone71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 22:22   #25
yanhchan

Send a message via AIM to yanhchan Send a message via MSN to yanhchan
I remember reading about a Hong Kong school teacher letting kids do capture the flag at school using LEPGs to build teamwork...

Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country ~John F. Kennedy
yanhchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 22:45   #26
pugs144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadstone71
Would someone (mods, Pte. Pyle, anyone?) please edit the first post to spell "instrument" right? Please?
Bah! Pr0p3r 3ng1$h $p311ing i5 4 7eh n()()b$.
pugs144 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General