Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Custom Gun - Bofors Defence Weapon - With PGC

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old June 17th, 2008, 06:07   #1
Marriott

Custom Gun - Bofors Defence Weapon - With PGC

Right, I’ve been browsing on here for the last few weeks and I am working on a custom long term gun project.

Brief background - I started Airsoft in August 2007, I have a M15A4 SPC and have now upgraded that fine, I also bought a Galaxy MP5k a few months back, added a CA Metal receiver and also custom fitted a 9.6v battery inside (that was a lot of work). That’s the current guns I have and I had need for a new project to work on. So I started looking around the web for ideas and came across this gun. Now I like it, I’m not one for Mill-Sims Airsoft so I figure this is a good project to take on.

Ideally I could do with setting this up as a Blog because it’s going to take ages and a lot of funds so people can follow it easily. Anyway so far I have the Base gun, the gearbox and some internal upgrades and having a couple of small issues so far. If anyone fancy lending a hand on problems that arise feel free to.

Here is the gun that’s being made

The Bofors Defence Weapon. It's going to be support class weapon due to the sheer weight I’m forecasting it will end up being... Estimated 8-10kg.

There will be a hell of a lot of electronics, settings, options and modding to do to get this up and running.

Here is a specification so far.

Specification

• Variable Firepower Levels – Standard, Turbo, Assault, Barrage
• Electronic Solenoid Activated M203
• Incremental Shot Counter –With Reset
• Magazine low Warning
• Laser Targeting
• Battery Power Level Monitoring
• M4 Magazine Compatible And Box Magazine Support.
• Semi, Burst Fire, Full Auto
• Master Power On
• Rifle/M203 Selection Then Activated Via Standard Trigger Module
• Custom Battery Pack Feeding 8.4v, 9.6v, 10.8v, 12v
• Secondary Electronics Battery
• Heavy Duty Sling to support the Weight 8-10kg

Ok that’s the basic Spec so far. Here are the current parts I have, which is by no means anywhere near 1/4 of the total parts for the entire thing.

Parts list For Gun Shell + Internals.

• A.G.M HK417
• PGC Pro-Win 8mm Gearbox
• Systema Turbo Motor
• 12v Intellect Battery
• PGC Cylinder head
• 247mm Ported Cylinder (Not decided if using the A.G.M one or aftermarket
• PGC Nozzle - Or Prometheus (Problem here due to length)
• Prometheus Ball bearing Spring Guide
• PGC Tappet Plate
• Systema Hop Rubber
• PGC 8mm Ball Bearings
• Currently the standard Brass barrel the A.G.M came with. Most likly it will be a Prometheus 6.03mm
• Prometheus Hard Piston
• Prometheus POM Piston Head
• Prometheus High Speed Gears
• Prometheus Anti Reversal Latch
• Prometheus Shim Set
• M90-M100 Spring For 330fps
• A.G.M Trigger Switch for now - Possibly Guarder Anti Heat Trigger

Ok problems so far is with the air seal inside the hopup chamber. This is supposed to be a really tight seal however the air nozzle is limited with how far forward it can go due to the tappet plate’s front wall thickness. There seems to be a 0.3mm Air gap when the nozzle is pushed forward, i can see the slight tapered edge of the nozzle in the bb feed hole still. If i push it forward manually witha screwdriver tip that extra smal distance the airseal is far better i'd guess at 40% better compression, so i need to wrok out a way to extend this.

Ideas i have come up with so far are using a platic glue/weld to build micron layers up to extend it, silicon sealant (not sure on this because it may come off easily) or if there are any other nozzles for other guns tha maybe longer that i could modify shorter to the correct length.

Any ideas on this nozzle issue would be welcome. Many thanks!
Marriott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 06:13   #2
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

I can't see your pic
pusangani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 06:16   #3
Marriott

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusangani View Post
I can't see your pic
Shows up for me..... Images blocked for you? If so here is a direct link too.

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/images/pr...02857_1_lq.jpg
Old June 17th, 2008, 06:21   #4
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

yeah stupid office pc, that link doesnt work either, will check when I get home
pusangani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 06:52   #5
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

The whole top front section of that weapon in the pic is a g36c;

So if you could find a cheap ACM g36c spring for parts might be your best bet.

Good luck!
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 07:13   #6
Marriott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee View Post
The whole top front section of that weapon in the pic is a g36c;

So if you could find a cheap ACM g36c spring for parts might be your best bet.

Good luck!
Yea thats what i first thought when i saw the pic months back, G36 Mags (give away with the mag links).

I was origionally going to use a G36 because of the obviosu base of teh gun, however the problem was i wanted to use PGC gearbox and its V2, G36 as far as i could find is V3, also the Handgrip is built in, so i couldnt change teh grip over and the final point was the RIS front because i need to bulk out the gun i thoguht RIS front would be ideal. The stock would aso have required M4 conversion to a stock base for that. All these points made me actually sway away from the G36 for a base.

Thats the reason i went with HK416 so i have a solid full mental base to work on.

Other parts am looking in to are these

* G36 Top front - Anyone know of a metal edition?

*This has potential for teh First sight section before the G36 Top -

*This for teh grenade launcher function ( I think in the game its from its a shotgun but i want grenade)

*This for the Front 38mm Flash Hider, unless anyone knows of a silver and fatter one?

*This for the grip undecided, possibly one of these two. Then possbily modify, or any other suggestions?

Last edited by Marriott; June 17th, 2008 at 07:26..
Old June 17th, 2008, 18:37   #7
the_griffinator

Very ambitious. I wish you luck, and I'm gonna watch this closely, should look pretty cool in the end.
Old June 18th, 2008, 04:10   #8
Marriott

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_griffinator View Post
Very ambitious. I wish you luck, and I'm gonna watch this closely, should look pretty cool in the end.
I hope so too!

Managed to fix the Air leakage on the nozzle. I had to get a carpenters square and line that up to the front of the tappet plate then gradually very lightly file a small portion (luckily not too much).

I'm not entirly sure how to do the shell yet and build up around the internals. There are going to be a lot of electronics also so i'm looking in to custom making pcb's or using donated circuits however these will probably be dipped in to resin/varnish several times to water proof the componants and help protect them.

I'm looking for suggestios still for the stock (Thinking of fitting an M4 stock and canibolising one), the top front rail ( The G36 style is spot on but i need full metal i think however it looks like its a split upper rail so im wondering of maybing doing a semi futuristic style twin top split design like a V shape.

It wouldnt exactly be like this below but you can get the idea. I showed the low profile rail red dot in an earlier post so that needs line of sight down the top so i thoguht maybe a twin Ris mount (See pic 1) possibly two- tier (using the top of the red dot. Then use two long rails between these two base points. Either bending if they could be or modifying in a way, unsure yet.

The prowin i managed to get inside the gun last night (I have a ton of photos of progress bits so far but i thinki need a blog space lol)

Pic 1

Pic 2

I produce 2D, 3D graphics and animation for my work soi hope to have a fully produced 3D representation of this, also splitting apart to show wiring diagrams and internal componant layouts.

I think i'm going to require some cheap seccond hand parts to modify such as stocks, rails, and such (live in uk) however if anyone knows how to get hold of some bits let me know. I dont really want to pay the full 50$ for an M4 stock here as i plan on cutting it up completly lol. So suggestions on getting used parts and spares would be welcome.

I'll try get the rought wiring diagram up soon.
Old June 18th, 2008, 09:09   #9
kalnaren

That's quite a project. Good luck and keep us updated!

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 09:59   #10
Marriott

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
That's quite a project. Good luck and keep us updated!
Yea it is rather ambitious lol! I'm not sure how to do some of the work for it yet! especially to do with the amount of electronics and the shell..

So far i think i'm ok with the Main gun setup and rebuild with the PGC gearbox in it, the 12volt with 5 power feeds of that, the voltage selectin, the M203 with solenoid i think will be ok and the extreme first burst fire computer.

I do wonder if that could be programmed further to helpwith other aspects i want to achieve. If there are any wizzards with electronics out there and know how to work with LCD displays that would be a hell of a help!

i think the Battery level will be an issue unless i retrofit a consumer grade battery level checker and wire it into the circuit to work once the master arm is turned on.

Currently i could do with suggestions on the Flash Hider (bigger the better as on the image it looks rather beefy and that King Arms one is 38mm, anyone know any around teh 50mm mark?)

I've thoguht about making this Box mag capable also, purple due to the punishment this will be able to dish out and that it is fully intended as a suport weapon.

This is a possible idea, however i dont think it would be able to keep up with the weapons firepower. I think i would need to change out the box mag motor, and power system and increase that drastically to keep up with the high speed if its required. Thoughts?

This was the one i was looking at as i think it would work withhthe overall design look.

http://ebaybanned.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=182
Old June 19th, 2008, 07:24   #11
Marriott

Another couple of parts have just been ordered.

1 - watts up meter power system tester analyser

2 - 5pk of Gripy Deans Connectors.

The LCD display on the gun side will give feedback on voltage stability the battery is outputting, how many mAh are left (Roughtly 1mAh = 1 Fired bb) this means can esitmate shots remaining from the weapon.

Here is the spec of this module.

* Ensure peak currents are safe for motor, wiring and connectors
* Check battery health and whether battery should be retired
* Evaluate R/C battery charging efficiency
* Verify that the minimum voltage while operating is within specifications
* Choose the best propeller or gearing and the most efficient motor
* Check for wiring and connector power losses
* Measure power and energy consumption of ANY device with a battery

Key Features:

Measures energy (Wh), charge (Ah), power (W), current (A) and voltage (V)
Connector to use a receiver battery for measurement down to 0 V
Captures current peaks and voltage minimums(droops)
Accurate & precise - 0.01 A current and 0.01 V voltage resolutions
Rugged - handles 50 A continuous and 100 A peak at 60 V
14 ga., 7 x 37 stranded, high temp silicone rubber insulated wire without connectors
Small & Light: 2.8" long x 1.7" wide x 0.83" thick (70 mm x 44 mm x 21 mm), 2.5 oz.
Acts like a wire so doesn't affect model's performance. Precision current sensing resistor, with only 0.001 Ohm resistance and circuitry only draws 0.007 Amps
Uses DSP to increase ADC resolution and differential measurement amplifiers to increase noise immunity
Factory calibration stores constants in EEPROM to compensate for component tolerances
One Year Warranty
Complete User Manual
Specifications:

Voltage 0-60 V, resolution 0.01 V. That's a 14 cell series li-poly pack!
Current 0-100 A peak, 50 A continuous, resolution 0.01 A
Charge 0-65 Ah, resolution 0.001 Ah. That's ~32 Amps for two hours!
Power 0-6500 W, resolution 0.1 W. That's ~8.7 Horsepower!
Energy 0-6500 Wh, resolution 0.1 Wh. That's lifting a 50 pound model into outer
space (65 mi.)!
Operates from 4.0-60 V, 0 V with optional receiver battery pack
16 x 2 STN LCD display
Powerful, 8 MIPS micro-controller

Here are some images of the module, the green case will be inside the gun and i'm hoping to use a Blue Gel/ Celophane pannel to make it a more bluish colour.

Old June 19th, 2008, 08:25   #12
SDS_ShooterMcGavin

Send a message via MSN to SDS_ShooterMcGavin
Thats interesting! Can't wait till its done man, good luck.

"Were not that good... Everybody else just sucks"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
Flaming a guy on his question, no matter how stupid it sounds, is to me not a professional way helping out nor answering the guys question.
SDS_ShooterMcGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 09:28   #13
Marriott

The Power monitor arrived today along with the deans connectors.

Also i've done the first draft for the wiring diagram but its only for the Power reading, voltage selection and the main gun and Grenade option. The extra features circuits have not been worked out yet

Old June 20th, 2008, 09:39   #14
ColtFarmer

Send a message via MSN to ColtFarmer
looks like you got your shit really together, cant wait to see the result.

sorry if i missed it in the original post but whats this gun from?
Old June 20th, 2008, 09:53   #15
Marriott

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtFarmer View Post
looks like you got your shit really together, cant wait to see the result.

sorry if i missed it in the original post but whats this gun from?
Yea thats the plan!!! It's not all fully planned yet but im good at thinking on the fly. The Power monitor chips im toying with the idea of using Celophane/DJ Gel to change the front of the Greenish LCD to a blue along with possibly lighting it up using a couple of Blue LED's.

I think the gun was from a Pre-order Deal for BF2142. Basically if you pre-ordered the game i think there was a model/skin included as a little extra. I've not seen it any more than the pic i have included in the post thoguh.

It's slowly coming along. I think its going to be long term though... Need more funds!!!

Little Update

Added deans connectors and heatshrunk seals to the Power Monitoring Computer. Also done a couple of really rough full size outlines. Toilet Roll Tube (Simulated Grenade Launcher!!)

Stripped Down Gun With Internals.

Last edited by Marriott; June 20th, 2008 at 12:44..
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications