Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Do Magnets screw up gas guns?

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old November 9th, 2010, 14:06   #16
Red62

The i guess stuffing the handgrip with magnets is another possiblity. Although, if the gun has a mount on them, I could make my own magnet mounting
**Certified Tornado Tech**Will fix your guns for food and BBs**
Red62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 14:07   #17
Thenooblord
Can't fix my own guns. Willing to fix yours.

Send a message via MSN to Thenooblord
whats wrong with a holster?

Words to live by
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid View Post
The apartment I am in right now costs $100 a month.
My average spending on food per day is less than $4.
My airsoft spending in the last month and a half has totaled over $1400.
They're called priorities. Get yourself some.
Thenooblord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 14:09   #18
Red62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenooblord View Post
nothing really, i'm just going adrift with all kinds of ideas for projects and whatever since i'm not really "building" anything for my school final year project; more of designing for a final year project. (No, we're not allowed to make projectile firing machines, so don't bother asking)
Old November 9th, 2010, 14:13   #19
Conker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red62 View Post
I'm an electromechanical engineering student, I know how magnets work: we did an entire course on them (motors). Iron dust does not cause problems: it just makes the magnet bigger (but does not change the intensity of the magnetic field itself).
Don't worry I'm not doubting your abilities, it's just... well an interwebs thingy

Quote:
The i guess stuffing the handgrip with magnets is another possiblity. Although, if the gun has a mount on them, I could make my own magnet mounting
Mounting a magnet on the rail (assuming there's one) would probably be the best/less bad idea (I can't say I'm a fan of having a magnetic holster when current offerings are close to perfect). I don't think having the retention done by the grip would work well to draw the gun... Also the slide is a moving part, so I wouldn't put too much constraints on hit.

Last edited by Conker; November 9th, 2010 at 14:17..
Conker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 14:15   #20
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
If you actually got a pistol that was reactive to magnets, it would make a horrible holster.
Any bump or contact with any other object would probably knock your pistol off your holster/belt/whatever.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 14:16   #21
DarkAngel
* Age Verifier status suspended *

Send a message via MSN to DarkAngel
Quote:
Im thinking the same thing.

Really, the reason you dont wear an IPSC holster on the field is that it doesnt protect your gun, this holster is the same.

Your sidearm is your backup to your primary. On the field it is one of the most crucial parts of your kit pertaining to your survival. When your primary goes down, you Reach for your trusty pistol and its ALWAYS there. It ALWAYS shoots, and its dependable and reliable.

You get one of these things, not only will it bang up your gun (which can cause jams due to mud/sand or w/e getting in the chamber or slide. It has a VERY good chance of falling off if your crawling or smack something into it.

Sounds great and all for a video game, but this is real life. It doesnt make any sense whatsoever, its not practical, and your overly complicating things to find a solution to a problem that doesnt exist. When it comes to survival (I consider a sidearm a survival tool), KISS is the rule of thumb. If you make a BOB or a GO bag, your not gonna stuff it with survival equipment that is perishable or prone to faliure. You'll take simple, dependable non perishable components.

If your doing it to dress up, have fun or w/e, more power to you, I just dont see any sense or practical point in doing this.

Certified Sniper Clinic Instructor and Counter Sniper
Sentinel Arms Customs - Specializing In Unique, One of a kind guns
DarkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 14:20   #22
m102404
Tys

If you can get it rigged up I don't think you'll run into problems with the internal parts going screwy.

However...any magnetized parts will attract and collect iron shavings (i.e. like using a magnet bar to hold tools in a shop....the tools end up magnetized and always have bits of stuff stuck to them). Might not be a huge deal, but in general you don't want any extra grim/grit/junk in the workings.

If you're really set on doing it...you could try an L-bracket type mount attached to the pistols rail...matched up to a magnet on your belt.

It'd have to be strong enough to resist sliding/twisting forces...so you're likely to mechanically bolster it somehow.

Doesn't seem worth it really...if you want "the fastest snatch grab" for drawing...try an IPSC open holster
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 14:23   #23
Thenooblord
Can't fix my own guns. Willing to fix yours.

Send a message via MSN to Thenooblord
Ive worn my CR speed IPSC style holster for gaming ever since I got it, and as long as I dont roll around in the mud, theres no issues I have with it, and much more practical than a magnet

Words to live by
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid View Post
The apartment I am in right now costs $100 a month.
My average spending on food per day is less than $4.
My airsoft spending in the last month and a half has totaled over $1400.
They're called priorities. Get yourself some.
Thenooblord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 14:26   #24
Qlong
Division

Quote:
stainless is not magnetic
That's horribly wrong, it depends on the alloy, MOST S.S. are magnetic. It's the addition of Nickle into the alloy that makes it non-magnetic.

Weee!
Qlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 14:28   #25
Red62

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
Im thinking the same thing.

Really, the reason you dont wear an IPSC holster on the field is that it doesnt protect your gun, this holster is the same.

Your sidearm is your backup to your primary. On the field it is one of the most crucial parts of your kit pertaining to your survival. When your primary goes down, you Reach for your trusty pistol and its ALWAYS there. It ALWAYS shoots, and its dependable and reliable.

You get one of these things, not only will it bang up your gun (which can cause jams due to mud/sand or w/e getting in the chamber or slide. It has a VERY good chance of falling off if your crawling or smack something into it.

Sounds great and all for a video game, but this is real life. It doesnt make any sense whatsoever, its not practical, and your overly complicating things to find a solution to a problem that doesnt exist. When it comes to survival (I consider a sidearm a survival tool), KISS is the rule of thumb. If you make a BOB or a GO bag, your not gonna stuff it with survival equipment that is perishable or prone to faliure. You'll take simple, dependable non perishable components.

If your doing it to dress up, have fun or w/e, more power to you, I just dont see any sense or practical point in doing this.
As I said: "i was thinking" thus why I wanted to get input from the community who knows this stuff more than I do. None the less, this and building a giant airsoft laser of impending doom is mostly just for kicks. But thanks for the input.
Old November 9th, 2010, 15:12   #26
DarkAngel

Quote:
As I said: "i was thinking" thus why I wanted to get input from the community who knows this stuff more than I do. None the less, this and building a giant airsoft laser of impending doom is mostly just for kicks. But thanks for the input.
Im not trying to grill you or anything. Like I said, if your adament on doing this for fun as a project, more power to you. There are some really amazing things some people have created out there from scratch.

But I did want to make sure you fully understand the whole scope before starting something as ambitious as this. You will run into problems (especially with the magnetic capabilities of the ferrous or non ferrous materials) in addition to practicality issues.

I just wanted you to think about this first. Most people are half assed and dont really follow through with their ideas and end up wasting their breath and the community's time. That is something to think about when presenting proposals or ideas on the boards.

We want to see you guys put some thought into the idea first, not just put up "wouldnt it be great if" ideas. You said you're studying to be an engineer right? Do a feasability analysis on the project (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feasibility_study), do the proper research and work first. Once you've shown that you put considerable thought and effort into the project, you'll find the community will be alot more open and interested in giving you ideas and suggestions for such a radical idea.

Last edited by DarkAngel; November 9th, 2010 at 15:22..
Old November 9th, 2010, 15:30   #27
andrew321

Lets see you make an electro-magnetic holster, that uses an RFID contact sensor mounted in your glove to detach the sidearm.
andrew321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 15:32   #28
DarkAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew321 View Post
Lets see you make an electro-magnetic holster, that uses an RFID contact sensor mounted in your glove to detach the sidearm.
Id just let the battery die out to steal your gun.

A smarter way to do it is use a physical magnet, and use the electromagnet to cancel out the magnetic properties by inversing the field. That way, it doesnt constantly drain your batteries (Electromagnet of that strength would require tremendous amount of constant power drain). By using an electromagnet to cancel out the field temporarily, you would save on power, and prevent your sidearm from falling off when the battery dies.

Again, this is why i mentioned above, that you guys should do research before proposing things like this before the community.

Last edited by DarkAngel; November 9th, 2010 at 15:36..
Old November 9th, 2010, 15:37   #29
Lotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew321 View Post
Would that not get really hot? lol

"If life was easy, we'd all have one" LOTECH
Lotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 15:39   #30
DarkAngel

It would. The coils would act as a resistor, causing them to heat up over constant use.
Another reason why you would have to use an electomagnet as a counter to a physical one rather than keep a coil on all the time.

ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion