Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

56K means?

:

Newbie Tank

Old November 2nd, 2010, 19:25   #46
Kita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bissa View Post
there are alot of people that call a computer a CPU. like not just the tower, but the entire setup.
Thats not as bad as some people though. My cousin's computer was running a bit slow one day so he thought it must be the internet that was crashing. Not the connection or anything, but the WHOLE internet. Ahh, good times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L473ncy View Post
Anyone remember 5 1/4" Floppy B?

I have a box of them and I cut them open at the top and use them to store CD's (if I don't have "proper" CD sleeves available).
Hah, I remember playing with some when I was too young to use the commodore. They were the coolest things in the world.
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 20:03   #47
Aegiis
Sgt. Pitbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
Wow.

The new generation doesn't even know what 56K means.

I used to use a 33.6k modem.
I'm officially "old".
You're not if you can't fondly remember your 2400 external modem, your CoCo2, EMM386, the first color monitors...VESA local bus, playing Rebel Assault on CD in 1991 (Sony 1X CD, with adapter card), and of course the Sony Walkman.

Glad it's behind

www.anvairsoft.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kull View Post
Aegiis ?* raison
Aegiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 20:20   #48
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegiis View Post
You're not if you can't fondly remember your 2400 external modem, your CoCo2, EMM386, the first color monitors...VESA local bus, playing Rebel Assault on CD in 1991 (Sony 1X CD, with adapter card), and of course the Sony Walkman.

Glad it's behind
Hey now, I use to use a 386 that didn't even HAVE a modem.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 20:46   #49
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
Hey now, I use to use a 386 that didn't even HAVE a modem.
*cough* 286 *cough*

I remember walking into the IBM compatible/clone computer store with $2k in cash for it and it came with a CGA monitor, the best dot matrix printer available, keyboard and rollerball mouse. No modem included but I think we upgraded shortly after with a 1200 baud (2.4kbits/s). I was ecstatic when we got a 14.4k hahaha
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 20:50   #50
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachster View Post
the best dot matrix printer available
We be rollin' with the dot matrix, yo.

BRAAAAAAAAAP BRAP BRAP BRAAAAAAAAP.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 21:53   #51
Zeonprime

Location: Waterloo, kitchener, guelph, mississauga, north east toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex View Post
It's an ancient Internet term for dial up...wow..if you have to ask you are way to young.
Ex, just face it... you are an old fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by m102404 View Post
DSL is to 56K...as Video is to the Radio Star....
Dear lord that had me in tears I was laughing so much...now I have to go find that CD from the box collecting dust in my basement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FACE View Post
300 Baud TTY terminal and I was loging into BBS forums and downloading 15K stuff that took 30 minutes to download.

Then I got a 14.4K modem and I was cooking with the downloads, but that was when we used to use a slip connection and have to connect to the internet using Netscape Mosaic.
Netscape.... sigh. 16 colour video cards...with well under 1mb of on board video ram. I still remember getting told not to put any games on my step father's computer so I installed X-wing and Tie Fighter anyways and just hid the folders using the good ol' dos command. many many years later I told him hahaha

remember when USR came out with the X2 chip and it was going to make things so much faster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_A_N_K View Post
Remember "Turbo" buttons?
Yup...my father kept mistakening it for the "on" button and would come tell me that the computer was broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegiis View Post
Bill Bixby for the win!

Quote:
Be safe not just with yourself, but those you play with. If you are reckless with other peoples safety then you will leave.
Zeonprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 03:19   #52
Deftonius
Troll

Send a message via ICQ to Deftonius Send a message via AIM to Deftonius Send a message via MSN to Deftonius
First the Classic Rock station is making me feel old by playing Nirvana, and now this... FML...
Deftonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 03:58   #53
L473ncy

Pretty recent development compared to some of the things you guys are talking about but does anyone remember the "Pencil Trick" on the old Duron/T-bird? What about cracking open electronics just to change the quartz crystal to run at a higher frequency.

I got nothing compared to some of the guys in this thread but I'm one of those people who actually knew how to use dos by the time I was in Kindergarten. Nowadays it's all point and click in the GUI and people are afraid of the Command line.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 07:00   #54
coach
aka coachster

I use to call the Mac os stupid friendly and the micro$oft released windows....
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 12:35   #55
Aegiis
Sgt. Pitbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by L473ncy View Post
Pretty recent development compared to some of the things you guys are talking about but does anyone remember the "Pencil Trick" on the old Duron/T-bird? What about cracking open electronics just to change the quartz crystal to run at a higher frequency.

I got nothing compared to some of the guys in this thread but I'm one of those people who actually knew how to use dos by the time I was in Kindergarten. Nowadays it's all point and click in the GUI and people are afraid unaware of the Command line.
Fixed.

I remember paying 800$ to get my hands on the first "affordable" Epson inkjet printer...or 400$ (well worth every penny) for a Voodoo Monster 3D card...which still needed the std graphic adapter for 2D...or when a mouse did not have a scroll button, was not PS/2 or USB, nor was optical ( I still keep a jar full of old mice balls at the office (pun intended))...the satisfying "CLUNK" of the big red power flip switch of the first IBM desktops...I remember a time when computers came in only one color...of a time when you needed proprietary brackets to install a CD in a Compaq machine...

Of a time when you really needed skill to built a machine, when every channel, IRQ, adress, was configured using jumpers on the adapters...when you needed to manually configure to BIOS for hard drive recognition, with # of heads, cylinders, etc.

When you wanted to augment the memory capacity of your Radio Shack Color Computer, you actually SOLDERED the added mem chips on the board...to go from 4K to 16K...I remember paying 5$ apeice for blank CD media...

I remember Office 6, which came on 30-something floppy disks...Star Trek 25th ann. game was on 25, and took over 2.5 hours to install...pop a disk in...wait...wait...pop it out, next...

I remember a time when ATI was a small canadian startup company in the graphics world, when NVidia did not even exist, when Matrox tried (briefly) their hands in the gaming world, when having a 1Mo VLB Trident card was the nec plus ultra...when you could and would spend hours tweaking your config.sys and autoexec.bat files to free as much base ram as possible...

That, any many more, that, is being "old", Styrak

www.anvairsoft.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kull View Post
Aegiis ?* raison

Last edited by Aegiis; November 3rd, 2010 at 13:55..
Aegiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 13:44   #56
flack

Ahhhhh memories

YouTube - Remeber 56k modems?
flack is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank