Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Prescription safety glasses for eye pro - worth it?

:

Gear Discussion

Old July 27th, 2017, 09:48   #1
Bermanator98

Prescription safety glasses for eye pro - worth it?

So I'm one of the people who has to deal with running glasses with goggles, and it's not all that comfortable (I run Valken V-TAC Tango right now, but plan on getting better goggles eventually). So I was thinking about getting some prescription safety glasses, I was just wondering if anyone has tried that. I haven't looked into it at all so I'm not even sure if they'd even be rated high enough, but still curious on people's opinions on it. I know I can get prescription inserts as well as contacts, but just curious of my options.

Any input is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Michael
Bermanator98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 11:07   #2
Danke

Contact lenses.
Old July 27th, 2017, 11:41   #3
cetane

I'm struggling with this too. I can't do contact lenses. I've tried, I just can't. I have some Honeywell xmf goggles and prescription carriers for them, I just need to get inserts for them.

Picture:
cetane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2017, 10:30   #4
Matt 'Maverick' Watts

I have a pair of revision desert locusts with the prescription insert, very similar to what Cetane posted. The insert cost me $24.99, the lenses $75.00 at iVision. I also have a pair of Empire E-flexes that fit over my glasses (and the lower can be removed completely) that work. I'm waiting for delivery of a pair of RayBan wrap sunglasses that are prescription lenses and rated Z87.2+ that will serve as daily sunglasses as well as gameable if full seal is not required.
Matt 'Maverick' Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2017, 14:22   #5
devbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 'Maverick' Watts View Post
I have a pair of revision desert locusts with the prescription insert, very similar to what Cetane posted. The insert cost me $24.99, the lenses $75.00 at iVision. I also have a pair of Empire E-flexes that fit over my glasses (and the lower can be removed completely) that work. I'm waiting for delivery of a pair of RayBan wrap sunglasses that are prescription lenses and rated Z87.2+ that will serve as daily sunglasses as well as gameable if full seal is not required.
same setup here. shop around ebay for the goggles, amazon for insert, and for lenses I spent only 50$. I strongly advise to get the coating for anti fogging.
VFC M4 MK18
CYMA AK47
TM MP5 First gen Rare find
TM MP5A5 with swordfish 2004
devbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2017, 14:19   #6
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
I have WileyX XL-1's with prescription lenses. Worth every penny.

I don't wear contacts. I don't have to worry about goggles that fit over glasses or inserts that fog up even more than regular goggles.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2017, 17:34   #7
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

I think you can even get the inserts on the bullet ants, which are much more low-profile.
Old August 17th, 2017, 17:49   #8
Datawraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
I think you can even get the inserts on the bullet ants, which are much more low-profile.
Can confirm. Revision Bullet Ants are RX carrier compatible (altho my bullet ants somehow self-destructed just sitting by itself in storage...)
Datawraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2017, 21:10   #9
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

while almost all prescription lenses meet requirements of z.87.1, I would not trust them to stop a BB by themselves. Part of what makes the MIL ratings (and their equivalent 87.1 in just about any revision of the standard is lower) is that the MIL rating includes the frame as part of the system to stop projectiles. While a lens rated to stop a low velocity impact might just do that, the frame that holds it is not and the lens can be knocked out of the frame and become a projectile/shrapnel as well as chipping, cracking or shattering outright even though they are made out of polycarbonate now.

If there is no reason you can't use contacts, then you should be using contacts. You will save money long term by buying 1-2 boxes and wearing them just for weekends that you play. I did it both ways, the rx insert was more expensive and is more likely to fog on 2 layers of lenses over 1.
Old August 18th, 2017, 02:16   #10
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingknight View Post
while almost all prescription lenses meet requirements of z.87.1, I would not trust them to stop a BB by themselves. Part of what makes the MIL ratings (and their equivalent 87.1 in just about any revision of the standard is lower) is that the MIL rating includes the frame as part of the system to stop projectiles.
Hunh? My lenses are Z87 High Impact and MIL-PRF-32432 ballistic rated.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2017, 10:29   #11
Bermanator98

I ended up going with a pair of Revision Desert Locust's I found on ebay for $60. They came in and seem to have all the trademarks, so 99% sure they're legit. If not, I can easily refund it anyway. Plus the RX insert is $20 on Amazon, so I just have to find time to bring it to my eye doctor and I'm good to go. Bit lower profile may have been nicer, but oh well. Thanks for all of the suggestions tho!
Old August 20th, 2017, 19:25   #12
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
Hunh? My lenses are Z87 High Impact and MIL-PRF-32432 ballistic rated.
they can be both if the lens is submitted to the standards test for official paperwork. There's at last least 4 or 5 that come to mind in north america and europe, all are slightly different than each other.

z87 is LOWER than the MIL rating but most organizations for safety standards probably don't acknowledge the MIL rating, their standards for safety are based on the z87 protocol. In the industry probably military/LE only care about the MIL rating. 87.1 is not on par with it. It's much lower, even the high impact certification is lower, but for public safety standards 87.1 is the widely adopted minimum safety certification.

It's like saying some agency has certified your car able to go 100 kph and another agency has certified it to safely to over 150. The higher one is more important overall but to sell to market A, the first certification matters, but to market B the higher one is what matters to them but the company who produces it wants to sell it to both, so they must certify it for both by paying for the tests/certifications.

Last edited by lurkingknight; August 20th, 2017 at 19:31..
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2017, 21:08   #13
devbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermanator98 View Post
I ended up going with a pair of Revision Desert Locust's I found on ebay for $60. They came in and seem to have all the trademarks, so 99% sure they're legit. If not, I can easily refund it anyway. Plus the RX insert is $20 on Amazon, so I just have to find time to bring it to my eye doctor and I'm good to go. Bit lower profile may have been nicer, but oh well. Thanks for all of the suggestions tho!
if you are worried that it is not legit lenses, put them to the test, 5cm away, shoot 10-20 bbs back to back, if you see anything except bb smuges then the lenses are no good.

As for going to your dr, I needed my lenses centered to my eye, so make sure to take the goggles with you just in case. You can remove the protective lense in case they decide to measurement on how the prescription sit on your face.
VFC M4 MK18
CYMA AK47
TM MP5 First gen Rare find
TM MP5A5 with swordfish 2004
devbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2017, 10:45   #14
MrCarrington

I actually use prescription safety glasses and I love them. I was lucky enough that work bought mine and I just use them for airsoft since they can be quite expensive.

I HATE wearing goggles, I just don't find them comfortable, they are bulky and annoy the hell out of me so personally, I am one to say they are definitely worth the investment if you are like me and HATE goggles.
MrCarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2017, 12:30   #15
Bermanator98

Quote:
Originally Posted by devbro View Post
if you are worried that it is not legit lenses, put them to the test, 5cm away, shoot 10-20 bbs back to back, if you see anything except bb smuges then the lenses are no good.

As for going to your dr, I needed my lenses centered to my eye, so make sure to take the goggles with you just in case. You can remove the protective lense in case they decide to measurement on how the prescription sit on your face.
Thanks for the info, I'll have to give that a try. Also, never thought of that, I had planned on just bringing the carrier itself and let them do their work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCarrington View Post
I actually use prescription safety glasses and I love them. I was lucky enough that work bought mine and I just use them for airsoft since they can be quite expensive.

I HATE wearing goggles, I just don't find them comfortable, they are bulky and annoy the hell out of me so personally, I am one to say they are definitely worth the investment if you are like me and HATE goggles.
I had hoped I could get them from work, but I'm in school still so I'm part time and don't get benefits
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion