How Do I Silence an Sr16?

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old May 29th, 2005, 23:20   #1
mykill666
Banned

Send a message via MSN to mykill666 Send a message via Yahoo to mykill666
How Do I Silence an Sr16?

Ok, Im Not So much a noob, but i have a Socom Silencer with a custom CCW threaded attatchment to make it fit on the barrel of my Armalite. now, i had this silencer on a G36C and it made it VERY quiet, why doesnt it do it now? it appears that most of the sound comes , obviously from where the mechbox is, (this seems to be making me look very stupid) the only things i can think of is because :
1. the receiver is more narrow than the g36, so maybe it doesnt have enough plastic around it,
2. the barrel/handgaurd has holes in it so sound escapes there too,
3. maybe somethings wrong with my silencer?

if someone could get back to me , WITHOUT making fun of me, that would be great.
note to the people who are either going to say "your an Idiot" or "you put this in the wrong part of the forums"
im just looking for a quick solution on how to fix this... thanks a lot , i appreciate you taking the time to read this.

-- Mykill
mykill666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 23:27   #2
Wesman

My understanding of silencers is they change the sound of the bbs when they come out of your barrel. Instead of pops, you'll get puffs. It won't sound too different to you since you've got your ear next to your gun, but people around you should, in theory, hear the difference. Try getting someone to tell you if it sounds any different while you shoot it with and without the silencer.
Old May 29th, 2005, 23:28   #3
Penguin
Propaganda Minister
R.I.P. ???? - 2012

Send a message via ICQ to Penguin
dont shoot it, it will be quite quiet.
Old May 29th, 2005, 23:35   #4
Sgt_Lynch

Quite honestly.... ahh, Airsoft Silencers are not really intended to quiet the gun, but are for looks or to facilitate a longer barrel.
Old May 29th, 2005, 23:38   #5
Penguin
Propaganda Minister
R.I.P. ???? - 2012

Send a message via ICQ to Penguin
In the past people have used expanding insulation to silence their mechbox (which is where the sound comes from). I wouldn't suggest it unless you KNOW what you're doing.
Old May 29th, 2005, 23:38   #6
Mantelope
Scotty aka harleyb

Send a message via AIM to Mantelope Send a message via MSN to Mantelope
Noise doesn't just come from the barrel. If you've ever opened your gun and messed around with things, you should bring it to an airsmith for a reshimming. It'll make the mechanical sounds a lot less noticeable. Don't forget to tune your motor set screw too.
Old May 29th, 2005, 23:47   #7
Grim Fandango

Send a message via ICQ to Grim Fandango Send a message via MSN to Grim Fandango
A systema silent head set would reduce the sound from your mechbox. There was a discussion about silencing an mechbox on Arnies airsoft a long while back. All I remember was one player covered his P90 mechbox with, if I remember correctly, thin polyethylene foam. He cut a hole around the cylinder area so air could stlil travel through. A few other people mentioned that they tried this and it silenced their mechbox quite well.
Grim Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2005, 01:28   #8
Nortus

One idea that HonestJohn and I believe Madmax was playing with was matching the volume of air inside the cylinder to the volume of air inside the inner barrel. The idea is that the mismatch in the volumes would cause a louder "cracK" sound emanating from the end of the barrel.
Nortus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2005, 05:04   #9
rufus

A silencer doesn't improve accuracy or range in anyway if anyone of you thought so.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2005, 14:18   #10
GMTII
WW2 Airsofter

There's a guy on the fourms by the name of "G_unit"....I believe he said he silenced his aeg by putting sound proof padding between the mechbox and the reciever of the gun.

Erik
Old May 30th, 2005, 14:50   #11
Sgt_Lynch

Yeah, in order to quiet you AEG you're looking at the mechbox, not a silencer.

AEGs don't really produce expanding gasses like a real firearm, so like I said before, silencers are basically non functional.

You need to insulate the noise of the mechbox and motor to really quiet an AEG.
Old May 30th, 2005, 18:15   #12
GMTII
WW2 Airsofter

And dude look on the bright side. The sound that the standerd aeg makes does not even compair to what the sound of what a silenced real firearm makes. in other words, an aeg is rather quiet.

Erik
Old May 31st, 2005, 00:49   #13
mykill666
Banned

Send a message via MSN to mykill666 Send a message via Yahoo to mykill666
I'v realized that it doesn't do much to silence it, but with the g36 when we played little skirmish's it was so much harder for people to find me because it would be like -- "pft" ----"HIT" lol so im just wondering if the SR can be the same. as for putting isulation inbetween the reciever and the mechbox.. gotta remember, were working with an m4 here, the plastic bends over the mechbox as your closing it, so its already a very tight squeeze. and in question to Harleyb... where can i locate an "airsmith" in southern ontario [niagara falls, st kits, hamilton or toronto] and how much it would cost for him to tune up everything inside...
if you could let me know in a PM that would be awesome. the silencer is obviously more for "show" on an airsoft rifle, but in some cases they do silence the gun a little more. it seems im getting more of the "Whirr" from the mechbox than anything.... as for everyone else responding in such short time.. thanks a lot.
\m/ mikel \m/
mykill666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2005, 06:08   #14
Malinak

Send a message via MSN to Malinak
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykill666
and in question to Harleyb... where can i locate an "airsmith" in southern ontario [niagara falls, st kits, hamilton or toronto] and how much it would cost for him to tune up everything inside...
if you could let me know in a PM that would be awesome. the silencer is obviously more for "show" on an airsoft rifle, but in some cases they do silence the gun a little more. it seems im getting more of the "Whirr" from the mechbox than anything.... as for everyone else responding in such short time.. thanks a lot.
\m/ mikel \m/
I'll anser this for you.
A list of gunsmiths and locations can be found here:
http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=525

All are well known for thier excellent work and you cant go wrong with any of them.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications