Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Using military patches on your kit

:

Newbie Tank

Closed Thread

Old December 26th, 2014, 20:45   #1
professionalnewguy

Using military patches on your kit

How does the community as a whole feel about this?

If you are trying to accurately represent a country's military, is it bad to use their patches?

If it is, what about a nation whose military you could not have been a part of, due to lack of foreign service options?

Note that I'm not asking about representing oneself as being a veteran, just using patches to flesh out a kit.
Old December 26th, 2014, 20:53   #2
AlexGPS

In my oppinion if you havent served with the respectable unit you chose to use a patch on your gear then its disrespective to the actual team youv used on your gear. I mean patches where used by differant teams to distinguish them from other teams. And also they earned those patches.
Old December 26th, 2014, 21:08   #3
Red Dot
Google level: BOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGPS View Post
In my oppinion if you havent served with the respectable unit you chose to use a patch on your gear then its disrespective to the actual team youv used on your gear. I mean patches where used by differant teams to distinguish them from other teams. And also they earned those patches.
+1
Old December 26th, 2014, 21:17   #4
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

A lot of people like to 'role play' when it comes to their kits for airsoft. So when it comes to patches/accouterments, IMO, as long as they are not awards or ranks and you don't attempt to claim you have earned anything or misrepresent yourself then wear whatever you want to achieve the look you are going for.
Old December 26th, 2014, 21:19   #5
professionalnewguy

Yeah, I can definitely see how rank would be a no no. Except maybe the rank you get for signing up to basic, but even then...

I was figuring as long as you're not acting in a way that would upset people who had actually served in these branches, it wouldn't be an issue.
Old December 26th, 2014, 22:10   #6
bradmc

I don't think there is anything stopping you from using a "rank" if you have a unit in airsoft. BC Ferries crews use the same stripes as the navy. Same with commercial pilots. The only thing people might have a problem with is it you use specific patches for specific regiments. Like real regiments, not made up airsoft regiments you invented, that would be OK. Slapping a Canadian, US, Philippines etc flag on your uniform is not a big deal.

Last edited by bradmc; December 26th, 2014 at 22:12..
Old December 26th, 2014, 22:13   #7
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

we designed our own patch among the group of friends I run with.there's plenty of patch makers out there that have reasonably priced made to order patches. We did a run of 20 patches for 9 guys.

There's no reason to have a real unit patch on you of any unit foreign or domestic, unless you're doing historical reenacting imo.
Old December 26th, 2014, 22:22   #8
AlexGPS

Btw just an addition. Back in Cyprus playing airsoft we made a group and we wanted to name it something. We where thinking of names and a friend came up with task force something which was a real task force and so we thought not using that name since we wherent actually from that team. We found it dissrespectful using their name and patch as our teams name so we opt to use task force 141 which is made up by the company that made call of duty. Task forcr 141 is from call of duty so we didnt find anything weird about it.
Old December 26th, 2014, 22:41   #9
grantmac

No ranks, no flags, no unit insignia unless fictional.

-Grant
Old December 26th, 2014, 23:08   #10
Janus

Send a message via ICQ to Janus Send a message via MSN to Janus
I personally don't give a shit as long as it stays on the field and no one runs around claiming that they are something that they are not.
Old December 26th, 2014, 23:50   #11
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

- You have the right to carry your nation's flag. It's hard to say you cannot carry the symbol of a foreign country as well, unless it's a symbol of hate or war, which could only really be looked down upon. True actors or reinactors (non-competitive) may get a pass for historical significance.

- Rank is disrespectful because it is earned. Other than titles of team captain, commander, etc, as they can be a literal translation through sport or state of being. No one will care if you address yourself as "commercial airline captain of the west side airsoft division". But "sergeant-major of the 104th" is a different story. Disrespectful sure, but not illegal if used strictly in an airsoft capacity.

- Any regimental or battalion number or designate, and SSF patch or symbol, etc, is extremely disrespectful to those who have earned a very special standard through death, struggle or heroism. Things like the Devil's Brigade patch, the maroon beret, or the silver star, could, and with good reason, would anger serving members and veterans alike. Not necessarily illegal of used in a strict airsoft capacity, but once again it isn't right. I've met a few serving and ex members who'd walk up and rip them off of you.

What's the real purpose here? Airsoft is not a representation of real military, it only has aspects of simulation. Why risk the wrath or discontent of our heroes and/or their supporters? Why risk the disrespect? I can't see a justification for it, can you? Impersonating a soldier can be very serious, also being found guilty of stolen valor, if they decide you're violation of that law, can also be serious.

Also note that the airsoft community cannot grant you permission to do such things, nor should they be able to make you feel better about it.

It's your team or group, have a uniques name and logo, even if it's loosly based off of real world, is much different and far more acceptable. Multitudes of rank doesn't serve a purpose in airsoft, other than team captain, squad commander, etc, which don't represent real world necessarily.
Old December 27th, 2014, 00:13   #12
professionalnewguy

So, out of curiosity, what makes using camo patterns that are used by certain armed forces okay?

Certain nations use patterns that are as distinctive as any badge, and certainly signify them as military service personnel, but I never hear any talk of stolen valour in this regard.

Its not like there's no civilian camouflage patterns.
Old December 27th, 2014, 00:19   #13
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

That has been debated as well, but there's a huge difference in how it is used, and that could also ring true for guns and other gear as well. I can tell you this, I wouldn't wear Cadpat fatigues in public, but camo isn't nevessarly earned, and I haven't met anyone serving or veteran who cares about camo. Also, total loadout makes you look like a specific denomination, not just color. Many companies have distribution rights for patterns, and certain gear is protected by law. For instance real CF gear isn't available on the legal market, but you can get tons of legitimate real steel sets of Multicam pants from various legitimate companies. Camo is a tool more than a symbol. I tend to use MULTICAM, but I don't dress like a seal or American army personnel. Many people use Marpat, but don't look or dress like marines. If the Rangers use holographic sights does that mean I cant?

Last edited by Ricochet; December 27th, 2014 at 00:22..
Old December 27th, 2014, 00:21   #14
brock0

Because when you're wearing camouflage, you're just a guy in camouflage and when you're wearing a unit insignia, you're either in the unit or posing.

There is a line of common sense here, like if you're wearing a sports jersey you're not being disrespectful to athletes.
Old December 27th, 2014, 00:26   #15
Danke

Nothing. Some folks will insist that's part of a uniform you haven't earned.

In the real world its a sliding scale. Show up with some special cool guy pants at a game and no one will care. Show up and hang out at 7-11 after a game in a full dress uniform and you'll be headline news.

Pick your own adventure.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank