Toronto Police Uniforms

:

SWAT/Police

Closed Thread

Old February 14th, 2013, 14:55   #16
AshleyAshes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley View Post
The problem with wearing these patches is that whatever you do, the public will notice it.
What public? We're not filming a shoot out in an ER anywhere where the public could see it, that'd result in a lot of real police showing up with very non-airsoft firearms and pointing them at our heads while using very authorative voices. I find those experiences to be rather counter-productive to the film making process.

Last edited by AshleyAshes; February 14th, 2013 at 15:01..
Old February 14th, 2013, 15:09   #17
Shirley
A-56 aka Mr.Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyAshes View Post
What public? We're not filming a shoot out in an ER anywhere where the public could see it, that'd result in a lot of real police showing up with very non-airsoft firearms and pointing them at our heads while using very authorative voices. I find those experiences to be rather counter-productive to the film making process.
Public as in on Youtube, anyone that have access to view your video/film.
You haven't answered my question regarding to contacting the TPS about using their insignia for your film-making.
What is the purpose of this video, and what is it about?

CANADIAN AIRSOFT PRACTICAL SHOOTING (CAPS)
CAPS DIRECTOR # 0047
Old February 14th, 2013, 15:36   #18
Armyissue
Administrator of Pants

Send a message via MSN to Armyissue Send a message via Skype™ to Armyissue
Quote:
Public as in on Youtube, anyone that have access to view your video/film.
You haven't answered my question regarding to contacting the TPS about using their insignia for your film-making.
What is the purpose of this video, and what is it about?
Have you read the thread cliked the vid link and the script? Shirley are trolling?
Old February 14th, 2013, 15:46   #19
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

agreed all the questions have been answered in the thread i also belive that the patches are stated to be the old not in use version of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Old February 15th, 2013, 00:10   #20
AshleyAshes

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_A_N_K View Post
Clones of real products "IE Black Hawk Serpa's" are a good budget option.
The issue here is that police don't use those Serpas. They use the Level III Serpa to prevent constables from getting disarmed and the Level III's are expensive and I havn't sourced out any clones. So while I could readily get a Level I clone for, like, 20bux, it'd still not be totally accurate. So then comes in the question of buying clones and then needing to replace them yet again later, or waiting till level IIIs can be afforded.

Also, I'm still borrowing airsoft guns so I'm a bit at the mercy of which models I have. For TPS Glock 19's and 23s would be 'accurate' but for this we're using Sig 226's because it's what the nice constable is loaning us along with his airsoft M4s. At least the cheap nylon holsters are flexible for now. It's a pretty passable costume effort for what we've paid into this, and we also have to pay for other costs like cameras, lighting and other gear that we also collect. Prime lenses arn't free afterall. :P

Now maybe another little tease, I have photos of the vehicles we're using. Not nearly as cool as the poster, just quickly taken on the lot with a cellphone. They should look a lot cooler at night, when lit with lighting, with the emergency lights on and through some nice Canon glass.

Not even sure if this is an Impala Police Package or just a consumer Impala. Algonquin College's Police Foundations program has been nice enough to loan it to us... Once they fix the light bar in a week or so... Lacks the divider for prisoners in the back, but hey, free Impala with a light bar, right?

It's melting. They have two and the other one isn't even mobile anymore. They arn't even sure if the emergency lights work on it because they never use them. It's not exactly a Toronto EMS Crestline 'New Era', but it's free and the fact that it's slowly disolving into rust should be better hidden at night. We don't get to drive this one, but they'll assign us a paramedic student to drive if and babysit us for filming when we use it. So some paramedic student is getting treated to a free dinner for helping us out. :P
Old February 15th, 2013, 01:29   #21
MaybeStopCalling
Green Synergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_A_N_K View Post
PS: One more thing, please don't make your duty belt look like below, your exterior belt should be secured to your interior belt, not like a gun slinger. You can rememdy this by using belt keeprs or a velcro interior/exterior belt. You can also try to make them secure them by friction, the outside one slightly tighter than the interior but this would be difficult for someone with a small waist.
That's been a pet peeve of mine for ages. They have a staff advisor, the training officers wear their belts correctly, yet the main cast wears their belts like they're gunslingers... I do have to admit they did a good job on the dress uniforms in a recent episode though.

BTW, on the note of the film...

- TPS's vehicles and units are identified by a four digit number, where the first two digits would be the division number and the last two the vehicle. 5321 would be vehicle 21 from 53 division, 1519 (from Rookie Blue) would be from the fictional 15 division (Which is 51 in real life), car 19.

- An alternate to using the MTPS patch is to either go blank shoulders like the LAPD, or use a ribbon without insignia. It's cheaper and saves you the trouble of legal depictions of the TPS (Which is extremely strict about it...)
Old February 15th, 2013, 02:38   #22
AshleyAshes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Synergy View Post
TPS's vehicles and units are identified by a four digit number, where the first two digits would be the division number and the last two the vehicle. 5321 would be vehicle 21 from 53 division, 1519 (from Rookie Blue) would be from the fictional 15 division (Which is 51 in real life), car 19.
I may take that to heart and make a last moment alteration to the script. Truth be told, 'NC54' actually means 'Not Car 54' as a silent reference to 'Car 54, Where Are You?'

There's no 10 division if I understand so it'd be free. :P
Old February 15th, 2013, 04:51   #23
Shirley
A-56 aka Mr.Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectic View Post
agreed all the questions have been answered in the thread i also belive that the patches are stated to be the old not in use version of them
It does not matter if it's the old or new, one is still using the insignia used years ago.

Here's a scenario, I'm going to play as a PC for TPS in a fictional film. I use all the gear, accurate to TPS, and play a role. I assume I play the role right, but when viewers see my role, it can be unprofessional due to lack of training. TPS then recognizes the insignia, and doesn't want the public viewers getting the wrong view on how TPS works. you get my point?

Think of Flash Point. They are "styled on the TPS ETF". Do they use TPS insignias?

I think it's better to use an original logo created, which will save your ass in the future. If not, contact TPS and see what they will say about it.

FYI, TPS isn't using Glock 19's, 23's. Where did you find that?
They use a Glock 22; a .40.

This is what I don't get, you're going for an accurate impression, but you lack majority of what is needed. Why do you need it to be TPS for your project?

CANADIAN AIRSOFT PRACTICAL SHOOTING (CAPS)
CAPS DIRECTOR # 0047
Old February 15th, 2013, 08:38   #24
AshleyAshes

Yeah, mistake, meant to say 22, I was thinking 'The .40, I know ETF uses the 19 and the rest use the .40, which one is that?'

Man, Shirley you're totally gonna shit your pants when I blow up this thing in what I plan to do after this production, arn't you? :P

Old February 15th, 2013, 09:06   #25
Uberg33k

I work in the film Industry and I have worked on Rookie Blue (As well as Flashpoint, Nikita etc) as a matter of fact, both as a Background Performer and as Casting Rep (Wrangler). I can tell you that you will run into trouble. All I can say is be careful. I have had to send BG home because they simply stood outside smoking in their Wardrobe. A few years ago a BG stole a police Uniform and went around town getting free food and the like. He was eventually caught but since then Productions have tightened their belts.

I have talked to many PDO's (Paid Duty Officers) and they were all unanimous that the Uniforms we use on film are so accurate at times that from a distance they can't even tell. When they can tell it's usually because the BG and/or Actor doesn't carry themselves like a Police Officer. This is why I teach a course not only about this very topic, but set etiquette as well as proper gun handling etc. Can't begin to tell you how many people get booked SSE that have never handled a gun before! But that's another story.

Good luck with your project I know how hard it is (I've written and Produced my own) and it's damn tough out there. If you have any questions regarding rules and regulations I'll help you out anyway I can.

EDIT: As for the "they're old patches don't worry about it" argument. Trust me when I say it DOES matter. What the one gentleman on here said about reflecting on TPS is correct. This is what the officers that I have spoken to reiterated as well. This includes the mandatory ETF officer that must be on set if we go hot during filming. Lastly I'll assume your production is Non-Actra (Non Union) so you can get away with a bit more. But if you guys are Actra members and maybe filming TIP or Co-Op, you MUST abide by the IPA which has much stricter guidelines than non-Union. Again, if you have any questions and/or concerns don't hesitate to message me. I wouldn't want to see your production shut down because of a red tape technicality.

Last edited by Uberg33k; February 15th, 2013 at 09:52..
Old February 15th, 2013, 09:47   #26
AshleyAshes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberg33k View Post
EDIT: As for the "they're old patches don't worry about it" argument. Trust me when I say it doesn't matter. What the one gentleman on here said about reflecting on TPS is correct. This is what the officers that I have spoken to reiterated as well. This includes the mandatory ETF officer that must be on set if we go hot during filming.
That's someone elses arguement, my arguement is 'Tiny student indie YouTube production, won't get noticed, if somehow goes big enough to get noticed, will just have to deal with a C&D and will have enough money for custom embroidedered 'Torontoish' patches for additional productions'. :P

Custom embroidered patches are just not affordable at this point.
Old February 15th, 2013, 09:57   #27
Uberg33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyAshes View Post
That's someone elses arguement, my arguement is 'Tiny student indie YouTube production, won't get noticed, if somehow goes big enough to get noticed, will just have to deal with a C&D and will have enough money for custom embroidedered 'Torontoish' patches for additional productions'. :P

Custom embroidered patches are just not affordable at this point.
My promo was a tiny internet release as well and I was contacted quickly regarding copyright issues. Just giving you guys a heads up. You'd be surprised how something small can spread.

As for the patches I'll talk to the head Wardobe a see if she can ask the PD where he gets his. Like I said, I'm here to help. I'm always willing to help a fellow film maker. here's my old promo by the way just so you ca see why I was approached. lol

http://youtu.be/xrvdGoS9jcI

When you say shoe-string, I say zero. lol But we're trying to secure funding. Problem is, Annapurna Films is being difficult. :P

Last edited by Uberg33k; February 15th, 2013 at 10:05..
Old February 15th, 2013, 13:04   #28
Armyissue
Administrator of Pants

Send a message via MSN to Armyissue Send a message via Skype™ to Armyissue
Quote:
This is what I don't get, you're going for an accurate impression, but you lack majority of what is needed.
No Budget dude.
Starving artists.
Full Time Student.

Hey smart guy,
you should learn to read.

You know the costume RPG dude come in and one told me about using a printer to duplicate a simple cloth badge.

Take something like this, alter it and print it.
Its good enough for stage cosplay and Film.

Seems the attention garnered will be passed on to other interested parties.
So just change the spelling to Toronlo
No one here pronounces the secont T anyway.
Or for this patch make it POUCE

Last edited by Armyissue; February 15th, 2013 at 13:14..
Old February 15th, 2013, 13:30   #29
Derpystronk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyissue View Post
Seems the attention garnered will be passed on to other interested parties.
So just change the spelling to Toronlo
No one here pronounces the secont T anyway.
Or for this patch make it POUCE
TORONTO POUTINE?

I like it.
Old February 15th, 2013, 14:02   #30
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

id go with Tdot PoPo, keep it trendy lol, long as there isnt any close ups of the patch i doubt most folks would notice
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Closed ThreadTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > SWAT/Police