G&G GR16 Carbine Light Review (No 56k)

:

Reviews

Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:36   #31
johjoh

Send a message via MSN to johjoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeGuitarded View Post
The M16A3 I received from BuyAirsoft has a metal upper receiver. Maybe the M4 they're selling is the Light version?
I dont know i dont have the m4 i got the m16a3 too, but i ant really tell 100% there seems to be metal on one side of the receiver and nhlon plastic on the other side even if i knock or touch i cant really tell the diffrence lol
johjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:58   #32
TCLP

Most of the ones that Ken at 007 sells are a metal/plastic body mix. With the upper being metal. The exeception is the 2 starter kits that have "light" in there title. My review was on a "light" model. Now to tell the difference. Well all of the hardware is metal on them. And what you might be referring to as plastic might be the carry handle. My carry handle is mostly plastic with metal sight, thumb screws and a "blued" bar that holds the handle to the body. If this doesn't help, or if you aren't sure as to the exact part being metal , i can help you out. Also expect another update soon, its been under the knife, internally and externally.
TCLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:05   #33
ShadowNet

The nylon fiber upper receivers look and feel very very very very veryyyyy close to the metal ones. They feel cold and are very tough. They're not metal, but aren't crappy plastic either.
Old January 24th, 2009, 22:23   #34
johjoh

Send a message via MSN to johjoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowNet View Post
The nylon fiber upper receivers look and feel very very very very veryyyyy close to the metal ones. They feel cold and are very tough. They're not metal, but aren't crappy plastic either.
yeah i figured there friken solid i actually stomped on mine to figure out and still dint crack or even budege its a pretty solid rifle

as for your help my carry handle is FULL metal
johjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 23:21   #35
Huron
GabeGuitarded

I've completely disassembled mine, and when I had the upper receiver separate, it sounds like some form of metal (it pings when tapped with an allen wrench). I'm 99% sure it's metal. Keep in mind that may vary depending where you bought it from.
Old January 25th, 2009, 19:32   #36
ShadowNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeGuitarded View Post
I've completely disassembled mine, and when I had the upper receiver separate, it sounds like some form of metal (it pings when tapped with an allen wrench). I'm 99% sure it's metal. Keep in mind that may vary depending where you bought it from.
If you bought it from Shootsoft, Buy Airsoft, CAS or Velocity Arms, then the upper receiver is Nylon Fibre. Even says so on their websites. Like I said, the nylon fibre isn't cheap plastic. They are extremely tough and feel cold to the touch. I've gotten my hands on both G&Gs from Mach1/007 and Buy Airsoft/Shootsoft. They are very similar, except the upper receivers.
Old January 26th, 2009, 18:07   #37
Prometheus

I'm looking at the GR16 Light Combo as a starter gun. What's your opinion on how noob friendly it is?

Also, if you attach the rail will the stock battery still fit?

Last edited by Prometheus; January 26th, 2009 at 21:23..
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 21:11   #38
szetor

Hey TCLP, what kind of paint did you use?? The finish looks a bit too shiny..

maybe you can repaint with some Krylon Matte Black?
I was also thinking you could just paint the INSIDE of the lower receiver .. then the trades would show.. anyone do something like that yet? i'm interested to see what that looks like
szetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 21:46   #39
Huron
GabeGuitarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowNet View Post
If you bought it from Shootsoft, Buy Airsoft, CAS or Velocity Arms, then the upper receiver is Nylon Fibre. Even says so on their websites. Like I said, the nylon fibre isn't cheap plastic. They are extremely tough and feel cold to the touch. I've gotten my hands on both G&Gs from Mach1/007 and Buy Airsoft/Shootsoft. They are very similar, except the upper receivers.
That's strange, because I'm now 100% sure that my upper receiver is metal. The paint on some spots has worn down (charging handle area, inside areas from disassembling), and underneath it's a shiny silver colour. Perhaps the first batch was different?

HUGE EDIT: My gearbox shell is indeed metal, painted black. Sorry for any trouble or confusion caused.

Last edited by Huron; January 26th, 2009 at 22:35..
Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 21:58   #40
Karnage

Send a message via MSN to Karnage
All these differences are making consumers very confused about what they are actually buying. I can let you guys know that there are 2 different types of G&G clear guns that were offered (I believe CAS made their own custom).
The differences listed by G&G?

The more expensive have metal uppers, ball bearing bushings and ball bearing spring guide.

The cheaper have nylon/fiber uppers, normal metal bushings and original spring guides.

http://www.torontoairsoft.com : Free shipping on Orders over $300!

Sorry I can no longer keep up with PMs. Please use the contact form on the website to reach TorontoAirsoft.com staff.
Karnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 11:33   #41
TCLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by szetor View Post
Hey TCLP, what kind of paint did you use?? The finish looks a bit too shiny..

maybe you can repaint with some Krylon Matte Black?
I was also thinking you could just paint the INSIDE of the lower receiver .. then the trades would show.. anyone do something like that yet? i'm interested to see what that looks like
Lol the lower is Krlyon matte black, But next on my list is a metal body. I cracked a tab in the cold so its time to move to a metal one so that way it doesn't get worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage View Post
All these differences are making consumers very confused about what they are actually buying. I can let you guys know that there are 2 different types of G&G clear guns that were offered (I believe CAS made their own custom).

The more expensive have metal uppers, ball bearing bushings and ball bearing spring guide.

The cheaper have nylon/fiber uppers, normal metal bushings and original spring guides.
Most retailers are selling the good ones, with the ball bearings and metal goodness.
TCLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 14:26   #42
uptheirons

Quote:

Do you sell the more expensive or the cheaper version(s)? I am not sure as to who to go with for a g&g. Velocityarms or 007. 007 is closer but out of "light" combos but velocity arms has a better price.
uptheirons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 16:51   #43
Karnage

Send a message via MSN to Karnage
I sell the cheaper plastica versions of the G&G right now. Keep in mind that all the "light" combos are plastica versions no matter which website you get it from.

http://www.torontoairsoft.com : Free shipping on Orders over $300!

Sorry I can no longer keep up with PMs. Please use the contact form on the website to reach TorontoAirsoft.com staff.
Karnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 19:04   #44
uptheirons

Thumbs up

Quote:
I sell the cheaper plastica versions of the G&G right now. Keep in mind that all the "light" combos are plastica versions no matter which website you get it from.
Thanks I was a bit unsure about that. I'll have to see what deals you have up when I get av'd in just over a month here.
uptheirons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 14:14   #45
delta76

I've spoken to Ken from 007 and learned that the M4 Carbine's that he is selling are not CAS guns, they are direct from G&G and have aluminum alloy receivers and various upgraded internals as compared to the plastica series being sold by CAS which provides to many retailers. The upper receivers on the mach 1 models are magnesium alloy and have slightly different internal specs.
delta76 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews