Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Looking for help with Star M249

:

Doctor's Corner

Old April 13th, 2007, 13:26   #1
Mephisto
Looking for help with Star M249

I am looking to replace the piston and cylinder on my star m249. I am having a horrible time finding the pieces. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. And Wargamers does not have the right one. First place I looked

Thanks in advance

Drink beer.
Old April 13th, 2007, 13:51   #2
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Piston is just a standard AEG piston form what I recall, cylinder.............. not sure but I'd assume it's standard as well.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 13:54   #3
Mephisto
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Stalker View Post
Piston is just a standard AEG piston form what I recall, cylinder.............. not sure but I'd assume it's standard as well.
The cylinder has no hole and the piston is a little oddly shaped. I thought the same myself. It's killing me one cause me likey to shoot.
Old April 13th, 2007, 14:13   #4
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Cylinders with long barrels (like over 470mm or so) don't have a hole, called a port, while shorter barrels have a port on the cylinder.

How oddly shaped is the piston?

I've worked on CA M249s before, as well as upgrading one STAR M249, and I dont' recall much out of the ordinary with the STAR one (one upgrade I did was remove eveyrthing from the clear plastic mechbox and install it into a nice black metal one. )
Old April 13th, 2007, 14:15   #5
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackthorne
Googling it brings up stats they say it a V2 mechbox....
Old April 13th, 2007, 14:35   #6
thephenom

Send Bartek an pm/email, he replaced the piston when I got him to redo my star m249 gearbox. I believe it was a Guarder V2 piston.
thephenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 15:38   #7
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackthorne View Post
Googling it brings up stats they say it a V2 mechbox....
Hehe, it's not even close to being a V2 mechbox, it's an elongated rectangle shaped mechbox, same as the CA M249. Internal parts, if that's what you refer to, ok, gears, piston, cylinder, tappet, etc. are similar and we've swapped out a lot of those parts for aftermarket as well as stock TM components.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 12:46   #8
Deathblow

Hey sorry guys for the possible thread jack:

Used my m249 two weekends ago, shot aprox. 2000 rounds threw it and it worked awesome! Very happy with it's performance.

Went to use it this past weekend, shot aprox. 100 rounds and then the next shot the bb flew out about 10 feet. Then it worked good for another 20 rounds and then I heard a "chunk, chunk, chunk" grinding sound and no bb's came out.

My buddy and I tinkered with it later that night - keep in mind neither of us are gun doctors in any stretch of the imagination - and unjammed the gun of bb's. We then proceeded to test it out and tinker with it a bit more to try and find out what was wrong.

Here is what we were able to find out in the order that we tested and found them out in:

* With or without any bb's loaded the boxmag winds properly.
* Without bb's loaded, the gun dryfires properly - there is no "chunk, chunk" sound nor is there any grinding sound. At this point we thought that unjamming the gun had fixed the problem of the "chunk, chunk" and grinding sound. So we proceeded to test the gun with bb's.
* When loaded with bb's, the gun does not fire properly - the "chunk, chunk" sound returns and the grinding starts again.
* We took out the mechbox and inspected it from the outside. It appeared to be fine. When we hit the firing-switch (not sure what it is called) the mechbox seemed to fire properly. When we put a finger on the open end of hte mechbox and tried to fire, we got the "chunk, chunk" and grinding sound again. We are thinking that it could be the piston, hence why I posted in this thread - remember both of us are not gun doctors and this is our first time doing anything like this but we have both committed to learning as much as we can about this gun and how to fix it.

Does anybody have any ideas of what this sounds like it could be? Could we be correct with our diagnosis? Any help would be so very much appreciated.

Thanks,

DB
Old April 23rd, 2007, 12:54   #9
yanhchan

Send a message via AIM to yanhchan Send a message via MSN to yanhchan
I'm taking a wild guess but I think it could be that the BB is preventing your piston to go back....kind of like creating a vaccum...

Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country ~John F. Kennedy
yanhchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 13:14   #10
Deathblow

We were thinking the exact same thing - only we don't know enough about the mechanics of these mechboxes to know what to do to fix this problem. Hence, we were thinking it had something to do with the piston.

DB
Old April 23rd, 2007, 13:20   #11
yanhchan

Send a message via AIM to yanhchan Send a message via MSN to yanhchan
I have no idea what the M249 looks like internally....so I can't really help but I seriously think thats the cause if you say it dry fires fine.

Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country ~John F. Kennedy
yanhchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 15:07   #12
Swatt Six-Four
Formally SwattMedic

I was wondering if you have removed the piston and inspected the piston head?

"Pain is just a symptom of weakness leaving the body"
-Herb Ferh
Swatt Six-Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 15:23   #13
Godlyspartan
Mr Clean

Send a message via ICQ to Godlyspartan
Check the Piston head, Star 249s sometimes have the magic of falling off in your cylinder and with every shot smashing your piston head to death.

Also Check your Piston, because the back end of the star 249 piston tends to crack off and fall into your gears.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 15:52   #14
Spa

is there air coming out of the end of the nozzle? if not then there is something wrong with the piston head or piston. if its maknig a clunk clunk part, the piston teeth could be stripped and the gear is not cathing it properly making that weird noise.

Best bet is to take the piston out and compare it to a local store that sells parts.
Spa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 16:56   #15
Swatt Six-Four
Formally SwattMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlyspartan View Post
Check the Piston head, Star 249s sometimes have the magic of falling off in your cylinder and with every shot smashing your piston head to death.

Also Check your Piston, because the back end of the star 249 piston tends to crack off and fall into your gears.
Thats exactly what I was thinking

"Pain is just a symptom of weakness leaving the body"
-Herb Ferh
Swatt Six-Four is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner