Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Toronto sniping?

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old February 9th, 2018, 19:21   #1
Feels

Toronto sniping?

Been playing airsoft for a bit now, have a couple aegs and pistols but always really wanted to snipe. Ive been thinking about the SSG24. My question is, would this gun be worth buying for someone living in Toronto? I dont really know of any outdoor fields around Toronto and the few I do know dont allow over 450fps on bolt action rifles. Id have to order the SSG24 with an M120 to get around 390fps with 0.2g. I have never sniped before but I feel like this seems low for a fun sniping experience. The next available spring would be an M130 but this would give me around 465fps with 0.2g which would not be allowed on these fields. Anyone from Toronto that snipes that can give me some insight here? Sorry if I sound ignorant
Feels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 19:33   #2
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

My M24 shoots the equivalent of 445fps when I'm using .43g BBs (1.83j) and it gets 400ft of range.

Especially when dealing with bolt actions, what you shoots on a .20g BB is completely useless information
Because you could be shooting some entirely different muzzle energy on the weight you'll be using.
For example: my M24 only shoots under 1.5j on .20s

So buy the gun, get whatever spring, chrono on the BB weight that you'll be using, and alter your setup based on that information.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 20:44   #3
Feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
My M24 shoots the equivalent of 445fps when I'm using .43g BBs (1.83j) and it gets 400ft of range.

Especially when dealing with bolt actions, what you shoots on a .20g BB is completely useless information
Because you could be shooting some entirely different muzzle energy on the weight you'll be using.
For example: my M24 only shoots under 1.5j on .20s

So buy the gun, get whatever spring, chrono on the BB weight that you'll be using, and alter your setup based on that information.
Well but what if you get to a field and they wanna chrono it with 0.20g BBs. Doesnt that happen?
Old February 9th, 2018, 21:07   #4
Chromey
Whiny Attention Whore

The same M24 ThunderCactus?
Old February 9th, 2018, 22:56   #5
Kozzie
a.k.a. Greedy

Get a higher spring, you can cut coils until you get just below 450. If you're playing with a bolt gun you'll need as much advantage as you can get. It requires a lot of patience and it's low action game play.
Kozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2018, 12:35   #6
ThunderCactus

Same M24
1.85j on .43s, under 1.5j on .20s
Without the air brake and with a lightweight piston it does 2.7j on .36s and 1.7j on .20s lol

If you get to a field and they wanna chrono on .20s then you'll be safe anyway since you're always shooting lower on .20s with a bolt action.
Joule creep is when you LOSE energy on lighter weight BBs.
Old February 10th, 2018, 19:11   #7
Feels

See, Combat Pursuit for example, the field I would most likely be attending as it is the closest outdoor field to me and most popular has a sniper rifle fps limit of 450fps with 0.2g bbs meaning they will chrono my rifle with their own 0.2g. So If I want to put an m130 on my SSG24 it would give me about 465fps which would make my rifle illegal on that field but an M120 would give me 365fps which Im thinking is too slow for a sniper and probably not fun. What should I do here?
Old February 10th, 2018, 19:28   #8
ThunderCactus

Well step one is to actually chrono your gun on the weight of ammo you'll be USING
If you cut a coil off your M130 and get your gun down to 450fps on .20s, it's within field limits, that's fine. But you could very well be shooting MUCH hotter than that on .36s or .43s, which puts people at greater risk of injury.

It doesn't matter what your rifle shoots on .20s, as long as it's under the field limits when they chrono you.
What matters is if you'll be breaking that limit when you use heavier BBs.

Just because your field runs chrono like a bunch of retards, it doesn't mean you should throw caution to the wind.

Find out what you need to do to get your gun shooting under 1.87j on the weight of ammo you'll be using, THEN worry about what it shoots on .20s, because chances are it's going to be quite a bit lower anyway.

If your gun shoots 1.3j on .20s and 1.8j on .43s, then that's just how it is.
Old February 10th, 2018, 19:38   #9
Feels

Excuse my ignorance but Heavier bbs = lower fps. Right?
Old February 10th, 2018, 19:51   #10
cetane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feels View Post
See, Combat Pursuit for example, the field I would most likely be attending as it is the closest outdoor field to me and most popular has a sniper rifle fps limit of 450fps with 0.2g bbs meaning they will chrono my rifle with their own 0.2g.
I’ve not played there, but I remember reading their website listed 400/0.20’s as their field limit regardless of platform.
cetane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2018, 19:53   #11
Feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetane View Post
I’ve not played there, but I remember reading their website listed 400/0.20’s as their field limit regardless of platform.
450 for bolt action sniper rifles
Old February 10th, 2018, 20:34   #12
ThunderCactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feels View Post
Excuse my ignorance but Heavier bbs = lower fps. Right?
Yes. But increasing BB weight and reducing your fps doesn't put you under field limits.
When a field states "400fps on a .20" they're not setting a speed limit so that everyone has the same chance to dodge a BB. They're setting an energy limit, so people don't get hurt.
Whether they enforce that energy limit properly or not is on them. But player safety is everyone's responsibility.
E=1/2mv²
v is your fps
m is your BB weight
E is how much a BB hurts when it hits you

400fps on a .20 is 1.48j, and that smarts at close range
400fps on a .43 is 3.18j, and that's very easily gonna embed BBs in you at close range

As I said before, what your gun shoots on .20s doesn't necessarily have anything to do with what you're shooting on heavier BBs. So you could pass chrono on .20s, but have a hot gun once you put heavier BBs in, and really hurt someone.

Give this a read: http://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=166583
Old February 10th, 2018, 21:23   #13
daishi

Send a message via MSN to daishi
Dont get a BA for indoor games. Or even those outdoor paintball feilds. You'll be outplayed by a 12 year old with a pistol.

Sniping is for outdoor at 250/300 foot+ ranges with high fps to get bb's on target faster then normal aeg/gbbrs. Sniping is also 90% all about the role, relaying enemy movements, spending hours sneaking up on a known enemy to take one person out, or just setting up camp to again....relay information and generally keeping an eye on people that are to nervous to come into your kill zone. Nothing like standing on a roof and making an enemy squad have to take the long way around skirting the outside of your kill box just to end up running into your ground forces.

Sniping is not some Hollywood, romanticized role in airsoft. Its a very different style of play, and hardly useful in CQB.

Also the NOV gun? Jesus christ. One of the main things a sniper does is spend ludicrous amounts of time tuning and building their BA. The ssg24 is crap. Get a good base like a TM vsr10 or a bar10 if you plan on gutting the whole thing and build from there.

But again. DO NOT buy a BA for indoor use. You're just wasting your money and time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian291 View Post
This is one of the funniest things I've read.
Commandment 1 of LMGesus: Fuck getting kills. That's the job of your teammates, otherwise known as the cannon fodder. Your job is to be scary.

Last edited by daishi; February 10th, 2018 at 21:27..
daishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2018, 21:47   #14
Feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by daishi View Post
Dont get a BA for indoor games. Or even those outdoor paintball feilds. You'll be outplayed by a 12 year old with a pistol.

Sniping is for outdoor at 250/300 foot+ ranges with high fps to get bb's on target faster then normal aeg/gbbrs. Sniping is also 90% all about the role, relaying enemy movements, spending hours sneaking up on a known enemy to take one person out, or just setting up camp to again....relay information and generally keeping an eye on people that are to nervous to come into your kill zone. Nothing like standing on a roof and making an enemy squad have to take the long way around skirting the outside of your kill box just to end up running into your ground forces.

Sniping is not some Hollywood, romanticized role in airsoft. Its a very different style of play, and hardly useful in CQB.

Also the NOV gun? Jesus christ. One of the main things a sniper does is spend ludicrous amounts of time tuning and building their BA. The ssg24 is crap. Get a good base like a TM vsr10 or a bar10 if you plan on gutting the whole thing and build from there.

But again. DO NOT buy a BA for indoor use. You're just wasting your money and time.
Thanks for your reply but you need to take a chill pill lol. I wouldnt buy a BA for CQB that sounds hardly smart. I have 2 aegs and pistols for CQB which ive been playing for little over a year now. Ive always wanted to get a sniper but followed everyones advice when they told me to get an aeg first and get used to airsoft, which I have by now. And all that about spending hours sneaking up on 1 enemy for 1 kill? What? lol. Snipers can definitely be used in skirmishes and most importantly be fun. I have no idea what you're going on about son. And the NOV gun being crap, well I cant say you're wrong but countless reviews can and no offense ill take their word for it over yours. The VSR10 idea sounds good except I have neither the time/knowledge or money to invest in upgrading. Everyone says the SSG24 is perfect for that reason, comes ready for battle. Cheers mate
Old February 10th, 2018, 22:32   #15
Kingsix

Age old dilemma which one is better

Fresh off the assembly line or Hand tuned custom......

Pretty sure the gear-heads will get this one.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion