Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old February 23rd, 2014, 19:13   #16
Danke

Do you mind if I call you Farva?
Old February 23rd, 2014, 19:17   #17
erietdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Skeletor- View Post
I think you need to relax a bit, I meant no insult. Just passing on what I've been told/read. If you find Police Foundations useful great, but before getting a real opinion on that I'd wait till you start training if you get accepted(good luck with that by that way).

So do a number of other applicants. Anything extra you have education wise is great, but there are many other factors when it comes to recruiting(as I'm sure you've read/heard).

Like I said above, that's great. I was just passing on what I've heard from people who are Police Officers.

Again, how is an airsoft gun going to give you an advantage when it comes to using a real firearm? Stripping/assembling it won't be the same, etc. Plus, all this is taught. As for how well it fits in your hand, you'd find that out anyways during the training.

Just my opinion, as someone who has experience with firearms(for work, etc), a airsoft gun won't give you much advantage. As well, you may get bad habits from it as well.

I'm not dishing anything out... nor have I ever implied having a gold member tab means anything. Seriously, it's the internet, things may get misread/understood when it comes to intent. Don't automatically go into the defensive.

On a side note, have you started your OACP testing yet?
I've heard all the fluff about Police Foundations courses, but that's just what it is - fluff. As someone who had almost zero knowledge of law before this course, I find it better to enter into it with at least some background knowledge on the subject.

Many airsoft gun, such as the KWC Glocks, are built to 1:1 dimensions, meaning they'd at the very least give you an insight on how to handle them, and how well they fit your hands. On another note, my WA 1911 field stripped essentially identical to a RS 1911.

I also have experience with firearms, but more so in hunting. I've gone for both my PAL/RPAL testing, and passed both with flying colours - just waiting on licensing now.

Only reason I went defensive was because your statements were offensive. We all know airsoft is a game, but last I checked, it's the most widely used game for milsim and training purposes.

And nope, haven't started any official testing yet.
erietdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 19:21   #18
erietdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakedestroyer View Post
You do realize that during your application process (if you even get accepted, because that isn't a guarantee) everything you've posted on here can, could and most likely will be brought up.

Going after your PAL and RPAL is a far better option than getting an airsoft pistol. Get a real one, snap caps, a range membership and develop and build on fundamental shooting skills.

That being said, police foundation courses are no replacement for life experience. Almost all agencies want some level of post secondary but they want someone with life experience more. School doesn't teach you how to interact with people, shrug off statements made with attitude, or respond reasonably when it's easy to hand back attitude to another individual.

Training with a real pistol is going to be more beneficial than an airsoft one.
I know it isn't a guarantee, but I'm trying my best in school at the moment to make it as guaranteed as possible. I don't see how anything I've posted could be used against me.

As I said in my previous post, I've gone for my PAL/RPAL already - I'm just waiting on licensing now. Once I get it, I can't see myself buying any pistols because, as far as I'm concerned, RS pistols are a waste of money in Canada.

And, I agree. My main intent when I started out was to get my security guard license, and get some actual experience as far as that goes, but ended up staying for PoFo.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 19:26   #19
ydube

I went to the OPP HQ firing range a couple of years ago and they let us use P226s, and the officer that was giving us the tour was also using a P226.
ydube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 19:29   #20
erietdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydube View Post
I went to the OPP HQ firing range a couple of years ago and they let us use P226s, and the officer that was giving us the tour was also using a P226.
Seems to be everyone agreeing that P226's are the service pistol of choice for OPP. I may end up buying a P226 over a Glock then - anyone have a recommendation for any airsoft P226 in particular?
Old February 23rd, 2014, 19:30   #21
Debrief
a.k.a. HKpro

You've already deviated far from what you were originally asking about (i.e. What pistol does the OPP use and what's the best airsoft model of that pistol to buy). That's already been answered, and there's a lot of information on here if you poke around on different brands of the pistols you are interested in.

Getting into an argument about real pistols vs. airsoft pistols/police courses/life plans/etc. with a bunch of guys on the internet is a waste of time if you don't want to be "on the defensive" for 5 pages.
Debrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 19:32   #22
mr_nuts31

I say it's better to get a RPAL and start shooting real steel if you want to practice. The only time I can see using airsoft sidearms is to practice drawing from your holster. I tend to practice my draw with my airsoft sidearms mainly because I use SERPA holsters for my RS handguns.

As for what the OPP uses, it seems like it depends on personal preference for them. I see some carrying glocks, P226s, M&Ps lately, even some officers had rugers or USPs on them. Although I do remember seeing at least one or two OPP officers run 1911s, I don't know how they get away with it, but they did.

Last edited by mr_nuts31; February 23rd, 2014 at 19:36..
mr_nuts31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 19:36   #23
redneck12

Finish school, get your security licence and try to get a post at a hospital you will get lots of life experience especially if you work nights. Its a big plus in your corner having dealt with lots of situations the police deal with, but on a more frequent basis. I did it for 10 years and 3 of my friends continued on to DRPS with a lot of experience under their belts thanks to night shift at LHO and all the fun that entails.
redneck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 19:37   #24
erietdyk

Quote:
No offensive, but I'm still sticking with what I've heard from people who are Constables, as IMO they would be in a better position to judge if Police Foundations is beneficial or not.

I won't disagree that having some knowledge isn't beneficial. As for how beneficial, I wouldn't know personally in regards to Police Foundations and Constable training.

I'm curious as to how identical? Does it strip down the same way, have the bolt, spring, etc? IMO, I'd still rather stick with using a real firearm to prepare for using a real firearm.

They were not intended to be offensive, so I apologize if they came off that way. I just tend to be a bit blunt.

It's the most widely used game for milsim and training purposes? By who? Simmunition, live fire and blanks I would say are the most widely used methods for training.

Does Police Foundations offer any prep for the PATI, WCT, Prep and BPAD?

Why's that?
I've heard the same, from Constables, and while I take their knowledge for what it is, I also realize that I myself would rather be at least slightly informed of the law before attempting to make a career out of it.

I have a picture comparing the WA to a RS 1911, both field stripped, and could find it for you if you're interested, but even I was surprised at how almost identical they were in that regard.

I apologize (geeze listen to us, so bloody Canadian) that I was offended, you're more than likely just trying to help. I've just heard it all before, and expected this to be a bit more relaxed of an environment, especially talking about airsoft.

While simunition has its place, I wouldn't exactly consider that a game. As far as milsim and training for the masses goes, you can't really beat airsoft.

As far as official testing goes, we haven't really gotten much prep for it yet, but it does offer prep in those areas - we just haven't been through it yet.

And, to me, and many people I know, pistols are strictly range queens. I don't see a point in getting something to strictly use at the range unless it actually is for a line of duty. Until then, airsoft it is.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 19:39   #25
medhatboy
formerly Swatt Five-Six

the cops in my town carry Glock 22, the .40cal ones. They used to carry S&W 9mm till they switched over.
medhatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 19:44   #26
erietdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrief View Post
You've already deviated far from what you were originally asking about (i.e. What pistol does the OPP use and what's the best airsoft model of that pistol to buy). That's already been answered, and there's a lot of information on here if you poke around on different brands of the pistols you are interested in.

Getting into an argument about real pistols vs. airsoft pistols/police courses/life plans/etc. with a bunch of guys on the internet is a waste of time if you don't want to be "on the defensive" for 5 pages.
It wouldn't have happened unless others deviated from the original question first, but regardless, I think that's dealt with now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nuts31 View Post
I say it's better to get a RPAL and start shooting real steel if you want to practice. The only time I can see using airsoft sidearms is to practice drawing from your holster. I tend to practice my draw with my airsoft sidearms mainly because I use SERPA holsters for my RS handguns.

As for what the OPP uses, it seems like it depends on personal preference for them. I see some carrying glocks, P226s, M&Ps lately, even some officers had rugers or USPs on them. Although I do remember seeing at least one or two OPP officers run 1911s, I don't know how they get away with it, but they did.
One big thing we're doing at the moment in PoFo is draw and shoot, but we're using airsoft Glocks because, well, we can't exactly be shooting 9mm in our classroom every day.

It is interesting to see the varying responses though. While some say that OPP uses strictly the P226, if you've seen OPP officers using more than that, I do wonder exactly what they're allowed to use. The fact that you've seen some running 1911's is pretty cool, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck12 View Post
Finish school, get your security licence and try to get a post at a hospital you will get lots of life experience especially if you work nights. Its a big plus in your corner having dealt with lots of situations the police deal with, but on a more frequent basis. I did it for 10 years and 3 of my friends continued on to DRPS with a lot of experience under their belts thanks to night shift at LHO and all the fun that entails.
That's what I plan to do, actually - get into security for the LHSC. I already know it'll take a while to actually get accepted into policing, and it's a year waiting period between rejection and re-application, so I'll have a lot of time on my hands to get some experience. I'd be a lucky son of a bitch to get in on my first application.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 19:45   #27
erietdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatboy View Post
the cops in my town carry Glock 22, the .40cal ones. They used to carry S&W 9mm till they switched over.
It seems more and more police agencies are going towards .40 over 9mm, which is all nice and dandy, but it's a bit odd for me, considering 9mm +P+ can reach about the same energy/velocity as .40. Not to mention the added magazine capacity.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 19:51   #28
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Quote:
From talking with Police Officers I know, you've wasted your money by taking that course. Would have been better taking another course(doesn't need to be security/law related).

What are you hoping to gain from playing with a airsoft pistol? As well, the police will train and qualify you on their service pistol. People with zero firearms experience do this, and pass. If you want to really famil yourself with firearms, get your PAL/RPAL and purchase a firearm.

Are you going to mention on your application or interviews that you've gotten familiar with a airsoft copy of that departments pistol?

You should continue to expect to use whatever they will give you. If for some reason, a agency allows you to use another firearm I am sure it would have to be something they approve and most likely use the same ammo as the service pistol. The Police Officers I know, use what is issued, none of mentioned being allowed to use their own pistol.
Actually, he's just being honest and straightforward, not rude. We all know him well, not you so that does count for something. He knows what he's talking about also.

99.9% chance you'll be issued a pistol, and that's just what you'll be using. I haven't seen a police force in Canada that uses a 1911 of any type. RCMP officers out this way I have seen the Sig P226, also Beretta for Van City police, though they may have switched, and Glocks are common.

Airsoft will not help you, go to a range and look into real steel. What departments are you applying for? It's not hard to find out what they use. Take a practical shooting course, every pistol is different. Learn the basics, they'll teach you the rest. Including a comprehensive use and study of your assigned sidearm inside and out.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 20:08   #29
erietdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
Actually, he's just being honest and straightforward, not rude. We all know him well, not you so that does count for something. He knows what he's talking about also.

99.9% chance you'll be issued a pistol, and that's just what you'll be using. I haven't seen a police force in Canada that uses a 1911 of any type. RCMP officers out this way I have seen the Sig P226, also Beretta for Van City police, though they may have switched, and Glocks are common.

Airsoft will not help you, go to a range and look into real steel. What departments are you applying for? It's not hard to find out what they use. Take a practical shooting course, every pistol is different. Learn the basics, they'll teach you the rest. Including a comprehensive use and study of your assigned sidearm inside and out.
Fair enough. I'm used to the dickheads over on 4chan, so I guess I may taken it out of context and too quickly. My b.

I know I'll probably be issued a pistol, which is the main point of my question. My WE G17 is almost 1:1, which was one of the biggest things I like about it - I'm all about realism. My prof, who's an ex-TBPS Sergeant, talked about the Beretta and S&W's, and loved them, but eventually was issued a .40 Glock.

While I'm sure we all have our opinions, I'm positive that airsoft has a fair number of traits transferable to the real world. We can all probably agree that, as far as practical knowledge goes, airsoft beats paintball hands down. But like I said initially, having at least some knowledge of the issued sidearms would probably give me some sort of advantage to learning about their RS counterparts.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 20:16   #30
Scouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by erietdyk View Post
Wow, awesome quick replies, guys!

That's interesting - so far I've been told I'll be using whatever is issued to me, but if I had a choice, I'd be going with a 1911 because of the size of my hands. The Glock 17 is nice and all, but the 1911 is what fits me the best and what I feel most comfortable using.

Seems to me the general consensus here is that I'll be using either a Glock or a P226.

Most people recommend either a Tokyo Marui or a KSC when choosing a Glock, with the KSC coming out on top as far as reliability goes, and the TM coming out on top as far as accuracy goes, but if I were to buy a P226, what would be the smartest option? I know there are lots of people who love the System 7 GBB pistols, so it may be another choice for KSC as far as that goes, but I'd like to hear some opinions if people are interested in giving them.

As I understand it, it was Part choice part necessity. The size of his hands made the trigger pull and the mag release cumbersome and inefficient enough that they assigned him something else.

I'll find out exactly what the circumstances were and updar, I'm curious now that I'm thinking about it.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion